Finally booked a cruise after the pandemic! Tips for a new (to me) ship!

Hi all! My last cruise was in 2019 and I'm so excited that I booked a cruise with my bestie for January 2024. I've missed cruising so much! The biggest ship I've been on is Freedom and we just booked Allure for a short 4 night cruise. I'm just now starting research as I just booked 5 minutes ago. So if anyone feels like dishing some details I'd appreciate it! 

We had booked The Key on our last cruise and loved it.  Is this still available and is it available on Allure? We really enjoyed those benefits. We are in stateroom 14190 at the beginning of the hump.  I've always booked the hump because the balcony is a little larger due to the shape. Is this the same on Allure? Also I haven't been to Coco Cay since 2017. Is it much different? I LOVE ziplines and am wondering if by chance they added one? Also are there still over the water cabanas and which is the best?

So excited to be back in the forums and having a cruise to look forward to. Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

It does have a short zip line. We watched it from the diamond, lounge. Lots used the climbing wall I could also view from my cabin.

I especially liked the WJ. Last night they had ribs and wings. Idk about the 4 day menu. Mangoes and plantains on Caribbean night. The Mdr had issues with my seating so I spent more time in WJ. Beautiful ship.

Idk if the hump had larger balconys. I thought people booked for the better view. I did the extended central park and boardwalk balconys I wanted to try out. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, renza said:

No need for the key. You can purchase one internet and share. 

The Galveston terminal was calling for diamond plus to board same time as the key. I wouldnt have gotten on sooner. 

The solarium was another good place for breakfast. One of the few places I could always find seating. As far as I found had the only omelette station. Wj had egg station to cook eggs but not omelettes. 

Also tried johnny rockets once for breakfast.  I thought they were pushy for a tip. And my eggs too runny. So i didnt tip since i didnt like my breakfast. I got the works so runny eggs ruined the whole plate. Yes i could have sent it back ... just never went back. So many options. I just wanted a little  breakfast and twice did the flavored cream cheese and bagel in the cafe. 

Me and the Mexican food place not a good fit. No place to sit and eat ruined it for me. Everyone on my b2b seemed to want free Mexican for lunch. 

Mama mia was fantastic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Allure has more food and entertainment options than freedom , including a great aqua show , also comedy show , play mama Mia was already mentioned, currently has jazz club but I heard they might remove that . You will need to reserve seats for these shows , key should be the same , if you don’t have the rccl app you will need to get that , you will reserve shows on that . Great ship I am sure you will like it . Galveston was mentioned since it sailing from there currently but will move in November.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Key should be available in your cruise planner under the name "VIP passes", if you enjoyed it on your previous cruise and it's the right price for you go for it, it's your cruise! enjoy, we love the planning and anticipation that comes with cruising.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denversail said:

Coco Cay has changed a lot. It was redone in 2019. You should review the map and your excursion options on the app or RCL website. The cabanas will set you back about the same as one person cruise fare. Enjoy! Allure is a great ship.

Good to know! I'm a vacay splurger so I'll save my dimes for the good cabana lol!

Thanks everyone for the tips!! Please keep emailing coming! So glad the key is still around!

You have plenty of time to plan and get excited. One word of caution, if you have not sailed in 5 years, I realistically would probably lower your expectations. Food and service never really recovered after the pandemic. The experience has lost some of its shine, but still a good cheap getaway. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

You have plenty of time to plan and get excited. One word of caution, if you have not sailed in 5 years, I realistically would probably lower your expectations. Food and service never really recovered after the pandemic. The experience has lost some of its shine, but still a good cheap getaway. 

Curious, as I said this Saturday: In what ways do you think the experience has been lost? Like OP I haven’t cruised since 2019.

OP: What do you wish you knew about The Key the first time you had it that you didn’t, if anything? We have it for first time. Thanks!

On Allure, we positively loved it when we sailed on it a handful of years ago. Great boat, lots to do, and definitely don’t miss the aqua show. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AbeFroman2 said:

Curious, as I said this Saturday: In what ways do you think the experience has been lost? Like OP I haven’t cruised since 2019.

OP: What do you wish you knew about The Key the first time you had it that you didn’t, if anything? We have it for first time. Thanks!

On Allure, we positively loved it when we sailed on it a handful of years ago. Great boat, lots to do, and definitely don’t miss the aqua show. 

Am I quoting the Sausage King of Chicago?

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, AbeFroman2 said:

Thank you! I had only wonderful experiences with The Key. I did a review a long time ago with it. Let me check to refresh my memory!

If you want to splurge I would do UDP which is ultimately dinning package, this allows you to eat all dinners and sea day lunch’s in specialty restaurants, Allure has a nice selection of specialty, we did this about a year ago and really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 2:53 PM, luckyprincess said:

Good to know! I'm a vacay splurger so I'll save my dimes for the good cabana lol!

Thanks everyone for the tips!! Please keep emailing coming! So glad the key is still around!

Cabana's know could easily be a $1000 plus or more for your cruise. Nothing like the prices back in 2019

• 3 months later...
On 2/14/2023 at 10:08 PM, Jimbo said:

Cabana's know could easily be a $1000 plus or more for your cruise. Nothing like the prices back in 2019

They finally released the ability to book cabanas and yes! It's like $1100! Insane! I'll definitely be getting a beach bed instead!

• Like 1

Free loungers with umbrellas everywhere at CocoCay.  We always enjoy the snack shacks for lunch with funeral cakes.   

The new adult only section may be open by the time you cruise.  We are all waiting to hear if there will be an upcharge for new area.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We always enjoy the snack shacks for lunch with funeral cakes.

Love the food on CocoCay. My go-to's...

Snack Shack - chicken sandwich, mozz sticks, funnel cake (a popular hack is to order a plain chicken sandwich and put the mozz sticks & sauce on it for a chicken parm sandwich)

Chill Grill/Skipper's Grill - taco bar with freshly made tortillas and all the usual toppings, combining the soft serve ice cream with chocolate chip cookies in a cup (you can make a sandwich but it melts very quickly)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

get the specialty dinning package and avoid the MDR.  Its NOT the same.  I did not believe the reviews and I was wrong. 

How is Windjammer as an alternate?

I am so glad you asked this question!  We are finally booking, also, since pre-pandemic.  I am wondering if it's true that the dining experience isn't going to be good enough in MDR.  I hate to spend more money on food for our family when we used to enjoy the food on the ships (that was already included in the cost to sail).