My opinion on Beyond--Infinity Verandah

mizLORInj

Just back from Beyond yesterday and we tried out the IV cabin.  I know there are lovers and haters of this cabin.  We wanted to try it out.    

At first entry, it seems large and spacious.  Very bright.   Huge bathroom, especially since I had been on Scarlet Lady in October with the tiniest bathroom I'd ever had on a ship.   It's all new, so what's not to like!   We had bed by the window, and we don't mind bed by bathroom either.  

The huge window is awesome!   Wandered over there and. . .it was locked.   Yes, it had rained that morning but it was not raining now.  I was not happy to not be able to be on the balcony (or rather, in the open window) for sailaway.  The captain unlocked the window shortly after departing Port Everglades, and it stayed unlocked until the final morning (rain).  

When the window is open and you're in the Caribbean, of course the a/c shuts off, and it got very warm in the cabin.  

When you are standing at the rail, you don't see the people on either side of you, so it is very private.   

One fellow CC member who toured some cabins thought this would be a great cabin for a cold-weather cruise, e.g. Alaska.   

Our conclusion is:  We won't book this cabin type again when on Edge class.   We prefer to have access to the outside whenever we want.  

Full detailed review to follow in the coming days.    😃

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

• mizLORInj changed the title to My opinion on Beyond--Infinity Verandah
2 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

One fellow CC member who toured some cabins thought this would be a great cabin for a cold-weather cruise, e.g. Alaska.

For a cold-weather or expedition type cruise, I would definitely consider an IV cabin. Thanks for your review.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review.

We booked an IV on Beyond for next January. We usually just get an inside but the IV was heavily discounted so we thought we'd try it out.

For people who like/book balconies its apparently not so good. For us insiders it'll probably be okay.

• Like 2

Reply to: OP (mizLORInj):

We (also from NJ) were on the same Beyond cruise as you (week 2 of a b2b), and also had a first-time infinity veranda (IV). We read all the reviews pre-departure, a mix of positives and negatives, maybe leaning more toward negatives. I am happy to say we came away with a very positive experience. With the window closed, the shade raised, and the bi-fold doors open, the cabin size increases by 21%, with 2 chairs, one table, and an outstanding, climate-controlled, floor-to-ceiling view.

I think we opened the window 4 or 5 times over the two weeks, mostly to occasionally feel and smell the fresh sea breezes and hear the wave sounds and to take sunset photos. This was mostly because (as others have noted) with the window down, the room became too warm very quickly, even with the bi-fold doors with the frosted glass closed.

We had several issues with Beyond (like below expectation MDR quality, exorbitant speciality restaurant pricing, and more, but enjoying the IV was not among them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I loved it!  It extends the size of the cabin and is a clean, dry space to sit and look out (yes, the chairs could be a lot more comfortable).  It's very private and you don't hear or see neighbors.  We put our window down a couple of times when in port.

If you're someone who enjoys spending a lot of time on a traditional balcony, either to have your morning coffee while your cabinmates sleep or to read a book on sea days, then don't book the IV - you won't like it for the reasons stated in the many threads on the issue.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Should be more than OK, You have a panoramic window that opens. 

Yeah, I was being facetious.   We usually dont spend much time in our cabin so we mostly get insides.  The IV was offered for less than an interior on our cruise (which may say something about their popularity) so we decided to chance it 🤪 (being factitious again).

On our last two cruises (both on Royal) we got oceanview cabins at the same price or cheaper than interior cabins. They were okay but I wouldn't spend more for one just to let light in.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, terrydtx said:

It will be interesting to see if Celebrity orders any more E Class ships after the Ascent launches this year. Nothing on E Class ships have been anymore controversial than the IV balconies.

Celebrity has already ordered a 5th E-class ship.  Delivery in Q4 2024

1 minute ago, Tyler414 said:

Celebrity has already ordered a 5th E-class ship.  Delivery in Q4 2024

I have not been able to find any information on a 5th E Class ship on order, so I figured they were done for now. Even the latest CC article about new cruise ships shows nothing beyond the Ascent on order.

New Cruise Ships on Order | Cruise Critic

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I have not been able to find any information on a 5th E Class ship on order, so I figured they were done for now. Even the latest CC article about new cruise ships shows nothing beyond the Ascent on order.

From RCG's most recent 10-Q:

In addition, as of September 30, 2022, we have an agreement in place with Chantiers de l'Atlantique to build an additional Edge-class ship for delivery in 2025, which is contingent upon completion of conditions precedent and financing.

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I do not recall were I saw it,  I also thought Captain Kate mentioned she knows the name of the 5th ship, but obviously was not telling...

We enjoyed the IV,  especially in Aqua.  Have been on the Edge, Apex and Beyond.  Once we tried the Deluxe Porthole View with Veranda and enjoyed that as well.

I like the privacy and just sitting out there with a glass of wine or two.

51 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

I do not recall were I saw it,  I also thought Captain Kate mentioned she knows the name of the 5th ship, but obviously was not telling...

She did mention another ship last week, but as you said, wasn't saying its name other than it was the final one in this class and the name reflected that--also had to be short enough to fit on the stack.

47 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

She did mention another ship last week, but as you said, wasn't saying its name other than it was the final one in this class and the name reflected that--also had to be short enough to fit on the stack.

How about "End of Luxury" 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

From RCG's most recent 10-Q:

In addition, as of September 30, 2022, we have an agreement in place with Chantiers de l'Atlantique to build an additional Edge-class ship for delivery in 2025, which is contingent upon completion of conditions precedent and financing.

If a new ship is expected for 2025 delivery it would already be under construction, and a Google search cannot find any. Maybe since last September financial conditions with RCG have changed and the 5th is on hold. I have no problems with a 5th E Class ship as I see them as the future for Celebrity and would like to see another.

16 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i never was on celebrity but i had no idea the captain controls the balconies. amazing. has anyone gotten injured or had their head chopped off when they were closing?

The captain does not control the balconies.  Those cabins have a window which can be lowered if it is not locked by the captain.  A window that goes up and down is far different from a balcony.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i never was on celebrity but i had no idea the captain controls the balconies. amazing. has anyone gotten injured or had their head chopped off when they were closing?

They have sensors to help prevent accidents. But when in port... if they are planning on washing the windows, the bridge can close and lock the windows. Note that there are no drains on the 'veranda' and imagine being in the cabin with spray like a car wash coming in the open window. During one of the two maiden voyages of Edge, DH was not pleased that they kept the window locked while in port for hours.. because of window cleaning. I hope that they learned to unlock after washing to shorten the time period.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

The captain controls the opening of the window on the IV "balcony".   If there is any obstruction at all, finger, arm, etc. anywhere near the window, it stops. 

4 hours ago, kearney said:

They have sensors to help prevent accidents. But when in port... if they are planning on washing the windows, the bridge can close and lock the windows. Note that there are no drains on the 'veranda' and imagine being in the cabin with spray like a car wash coming in the open window.

There's no drains because the faux balcony is just the end of your cabin inside, so of course there's no drain. . That's why I can never understand how people try to convince themselves it's just like a real balcony.

• Like 2