Cruise ankles?

colesc15

A very knowledgeable poster has stated how cruise ships have sodium levels in their potable water systems that is comparable or less than most treated water municipalities.

I do not doubt his expertise.

There is a significant difference between distilled water and sea water filtered through reverse osmosis.

The Navy was very particular that they only wanted distilled sea water to be fed to their steam systems to avoid corrosion and scaling of the systems.

As I have stated in earlier posts in this thread, there are vacation factors involved for these symptoms as well as the potable water involved onboard ship.

We all have to find our solutions so we can keep on cruising as "our body pipes and systems start getting scale build-up of many types!"

🤣

• Like 1

Every time for my 15 cruises since 1988.  Swollen ankles.  Doesn’t matter how much water or fluids I drink.  We just got off the Navigator of the Seas and only drank water, Diet Coke, orange juice, coffee, etc.  No booze.  My ankles are back to normal at home.  Guess it’s just what I can expect and always have. 

Edited by Linsifer

23 minutes ago, Linsifer said:

Every time for my 15 cruises since 1988.  Swollen ankles.  Doesn’t matter how much water or fluids I drink.  We just got off the Navigator of the Seas and only drank water, Diet Coke, orange juice, coffee, etc.  No booze.  My ankles are back to normal at home.  Guess it’s just what I can expect and always have. 

"This is the way."

😉

• Like 1

For those considering Magnesium.  Instead of orally which can be /is  a laxative, Mg can be absorbed through the skin.  The below is what I use on vacations.   You get your magnesium and help your aching feet with the same thing.  I don't know if this is the best since it is the first I've tried.  One lasts for a long time.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PROcure-Epsom-Salt-Rub-Gel-6-fl-oz/49912425?from=/search

• Like 2

Maximize alcohol/salt/sugar intake, eat frequently at the trough, limit water intake/exercise, ride elevator vs taking stairs and remainder of body will make ankles appear relatively smaller.  

• Haha 9

4 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Maximize alcohol/salt/sugar intake, eat frequently at the trough, limit water intake/exercise, ride elevator vs taking stairs and remainder of body will make ankles appear relatively smaller.  

Other than elevator vs. stairs (I'm lazy but I hate waiting for crowded elevators), you kinda just described my typical cruise M.O. 🙈

Perhaps that's why I need the Diurex. 🤣

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NJoynCruisin said:

I talked to my Dr yesterday and he prescribed a diuretic for my next cruise.  Hoping it works!!

As mentioned, it works for me, hope you have similar success!

• Like 1

I wonder what is different about the bottled water?   From what I've read they filter the water using the same methods as bottled water, then they add chlorine to it so that it is safe in the pipes.   So maybe it is the chlorine?  

On 5/29/2023 at 5:32 PM, Linsifer said:

Was it bottled water that you drank?

On 5/30/2023 at 8:07 AM, HappyTexan44 said:

For those considering Magnesium.  Instead of orally which can be /is  a laxative, Mg can be absorbed through the skin.  The below is what I use on vacations.   You get your magnesium and help your aching feet with the same thing.  I don't know if this is the best since it is the first I've tried.  One lasts for a long time.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PROcure-Epsom-Salt-Rub-Gel-6-fl-oz/49912425?from=/search

Thank you!  I will try this.  I already take a diuretic daily, it boosts my BP meds.  Can’t always soak in a tub on a ship.

Maybe the ship could put epsom salts in one of the hot tubs🥰

• Like 1

I'm prone to swelling when I fly, so I have my SO prescribes Ferusomide, which is a water pill that sorts it right out. I'll be taking some with me when I cruise next month. If you're in the US, I seem to recall mild diuretics being available OTC there. Might be worth considering?

27 minutes ago, ExpatBride said:

If you're in the US, I seem to recall mild diuretics being available OTC there. Might be worth considering?

Common one is Diurex. I mentioned using it earlier in the thread. I don’t cruise without it. Day 5 on Wonder right now & only a little swollen. Works well for me.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:32 PM, sjb317 said:

When we first started cruising, I noticed my feet swelling within a day or two of boarding.  Cruising is the only place I’ve ever had a problem with this.  Once I switched to bottled water, the problem stopped.  While I believe those who say there is no excessive sodium in the ship’s water,I think  there must be either something in it or something lacking that causes this for me.

Sherri🙂

I have the same results when I drink bottled vs. ship water. I am not a water snob, and only occasionally drink bottled water at home, but fixes the water retention issues I have. 

• Like 2

On 2/14/2023 at 5:31 PM, colesc15 said:

So I know I'm not the only one lol. I'm generally a fairly healthy male, but when we travel on cruises to the Caribbean, the humidity, sugar in drinks, Sodium, it all hits my ankles and balloons them by day 2 or 3 & goes back to normal a day or two after being home. What do you guys do to help alleviate this? Other than raising them at night. 

This never happened to me on a cruise but it did happen on a round trip bus ride from NY to LA.I went to a Podiatrist and he told me to soak my feet in epsom salt and warm water.

On 6/8/2023 at 2:19 PM, OCSC Mike said:

Common one is Diurex. I mentioned using it earlier in the thread. I don’t cruise without it. Day 5 on Wonder right now & only a little swollen. Works well for me.

Started taking two pills/day instead of just one, no idea why I wasn't doing this all along. Got home today with almost zero swelling.