What No Gibraltar?!?!

snaefell

39 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I really do hope you are joking Harry... 😄

Well, maybe, Andrew. 

But as a child (and there are others here who may remember the Eastern National 53 bus service between Clacton and Tilbury Ferry) Tilbury Ferry had the exoticism of the far east.  A quick look at Google Maps suggests I might have been mistaken.  😀

Here's a nice bus though.

ONO 49 on the 53 route | Jack Willis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Well, maybe, Andrew. 

But as a child (and there are others here who may remember the Eastern National 53 bus service between Clacton and Tilbury Ferry) Tilbury Ferry had the exoticism of the far east.  A quick look at Google Maps suggests I might have been mistaken.  😀

Here's a nice bus though.

ONO 49 on the 53 route | Jack Willis

My maternal grandfather was originally from nearby Rochford and drove buses for London Country for many years.

Sadly, Tilbury is very rundown now. The most 'exotic' things in the area are Asda and Macdonald's...

23 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Alcohol in the shops in town is far cheaper than at the duty free shop at the port.  Last time we got the bus to Europa Point, strolled around, got the bus back to the Trafalgar cemetary, walked back through town, picked up a botttle of Southern Comfort for the DH and diamond earrings for me. What's not to like?

A cruise director told me they buy their booze in Morrisons, it guarantees you won't go blind. Gibraltar is just plain scruffy IMO

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, davecttr said:

A cruise director told me they buy their booze in Morrisons, it guarantees you won't go blind. Gibraltar is just plain scruffy IMO

Agree. A dirty little place and not much to offer..unless you like the wartime history. I have seen bigger 'rocks' in Norway  and the Pennines!.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, snaefell said:

Last time I checked there were no excursions available for Malaga on the P&O website so watch this space I guess!

We enjoy our sea days,time to chill!😎

I guess there will be trips to places such as Granada, Córdoba, Ronda etc all around 90 mins away. When we stayed near Malaga a few years ago we went to Granada to see the Alhambra Palace, a trip well worth doing.

28863996-1B78-4017-B789-D3817725E4A8.jpeg

922A3FB4-1A78-4D62-B441-2AE06E263AB5.jpeg

3D03A455-8B54-4C24-945B-92842BA49CD2.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I agree that Gibraltar is scruffy but I have never had a problem with branded alcohol bought at rock bottom prices on the high street in Gibraltar. Morrison’s prices are noticeably higher for exactly the same product. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I guess there will be trips to places such as Granada, Córdoba, Ronda etc all around 90 mins away. When we stayed near Malaga a few years ago we went to Granada to see the Alhambra Palace, a trip well worth doing.

28863996-1B78-4017-B789-D3817725E4A8.jpeg

922A3FB4-1A78-4D62-B441-2AE06E263AB5.jpeg

3D03A455-8B54-4C24-945B-92842BA49CD2.jpeg

The Alhambra is a place I’ve always wanted to go to. We were going on a cruise that included Malaga this October but sadly I’m going to have to cancel it. I will get there one day….

The journey to Granada is quite long, but well worth it when you get to see the Alhambra.  Tickets have to be bought well in advance, and should be done by the cruise line, but it is an expensive trip and I think  would need to be booked well before the cruise.  I have done it twice, each time sightseeing in the morning (it would be quite hard for anyone with walking problems) and followed by a local lunch before the coach ride back.  But the buildings and setting are magical.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Another thing to do in Malaga, is the Motor and Couture Museum.  Absolutely marvellous.

https://www.museoautomovilmalaga.com/es/

It's my very favourite museum, absolutely love it here. Been 3 times now and will go again.

There's also another lovely small museum in the centre of town, the Museum of Crystal and Glass https://www.museovidrioycristalmalaga.com/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ataraxia said:

Gibraltar used to be on the itinerary when the UK was in the EU. It meant the cruise docked outside the EU, and drinks were cheaper. 

I think Gib is following other ports and reducing the number of cruise passengers at any one time. Also if it were anything to do with duty free and the EU why do ships of non UK lines go there. And have done for a long while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ataraxia said:

Gibraltar used to be on the itinerary when the UK was in the EU. It meant the cruise docked outside the EU, and drinks were cheaper. 

P&O have used Gibraltar as a regular port of call for many years, long before the EU-related tax implications.