MDR table request. Email unanswered

gavvy

5 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

If you did not request the change from early dining to MTD, I’d try to get that sorted out now.  Call your TA (if you used one) or Royal (if you booked direct) ASAP.

Thanks! Definitely not a request we would have made!  On Friday, our TA said she is "locked out from making dining changes this close to sailing" and this thread is the first time I've heard you can call about dining assignments. The TA didn't offer to call on our behalf but I'll check back in with her or do it myself today if they're open.

We have an afternoon check-in time and the ship looks very full, so I am worried it will be harder to resolve on board.

15 minutes ago, funfetti said:

Thanks! Definitely not a request we would have made!  On Friday, our TA said she is "locked out from making dining changes this close to sailing" and this thread is the first time I've heard you can call about dining assignments. The TA didn't offer to call on our behalf but I'll check back in with her or do it myself today if they're open.

We have an afternoon check-in time and the ship looks very full, so I am worried it will be harder to resolve on board.

Well, I’d want my TA to do more on my behalf.  If you previously had early dining and neither your nor your TA requested a change to MTD, I’d ask the TA to call RCI (a conference call if you have time), point out they flubbed and fix the problem.

You did not mention you ship though you mentioned toddlers.  On most ships MTD opens later (6:45 or so).  You may find you would be seated too late for the little ones if you stay in MTD.

I gave them a ring and switched to MTD, the only options in the app are a litte later than we like (8-8:30pm), but hopefully we can do walk ups around 6.45, if not no big deal, hopefully stress over !

Posting what we have learned for anyone in this situation in the future:

- If your reservation is via a travel agency, you must contact your travel agency to make dining changes (including requesting a private table) DO NOT EMAIL rcldining@rccl.com

- The rcldining email response team may not inform you that they can't process changes, and may incorrectly state that changes were processed successfully. Rcldining may not respond at all.

- For any changes the TA cannot process themselves, travel agents must contact RCL via a travel agent only dining phone line that is only open limited hours (no weekends, 1-5 pm EST today, not sure if this is normal weekday hours or if RCL is following a holiday schedule for President's Day)

- Ask your TA to confirm all dining changes in writing... not that anything can or will be done with written confirmation, but at least it's a second set of eyes confirming that RCL has made the promised changes.

- As much as I love people-watching, have sympathy for those poor folks waiting in line at the dining room or Guest Services as long as they are not abusive to staff. 

7 minutes ago, funfetti said:

- If your reservation is via a travel agency, you must contact your travel agency to make dining changes (including requesting a private table) DO NOT EMAIL rcldining@rccl.com

We almost always use a TA. We also almost always make a dining room request through RCL dining, we always get a response within a day or two. We only like certain dining rooms, we always request a table, large or small, along the balcony railing on multi level dining rooms.  Last two cruise were on Quantum Class and we requested a table in The Grande and our request was granted both times. Last four cruises we also received a table number with their return email.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, funfetti said:

- The rcldining email response team may not inform you that they can't process changes, and may incorrectly state that changes were processed successfully. Rcldining may not respond at all.

- For any changes the TA cannot process themselves, travel agents must contact RCL via a travel agent only dining phone line that is only open limited hours (no weekends, 1-5 pm EST today, not sure if this is normal weekday hours or if RCL is following a holiday schedule for President's Day)

- Ask your TA to confirm all dining changes in writing... not that anything can or will be done with written confirmation, but at least it's a second set of eyes confirming that RCL has made the promised changes.

And this of course is complete bunk.  We have been requesting special table arrangements by email for 25 years and never had a problem in emailing rcldining or the above addies. As recently as December and we cruise 1-2 times a year.   Any of these emails will respond.  I don't use a TA for anything anymore but you may make this request with or without their help, I've done it both ways. No offense to any of you.

On 2/19/2023 at 10:17 AM, gavvy said:

I gave them a ring and switched to MTD, the only options in the app are a litte later than we like (8-8:30pm), but hopefully we can do walk ups around 6.45, if not no big deal, hopefully stress over !

What I found odd, I sailed on Anthem recently and MTD was listed at 6:45-9.  I was seated in one of the 4 restaurants at a table for 8, but only attended by 5 in total.  About 3 days into our cruise, a couple in MTD dining was seated at our table at 5:45.  Just wondering if one goes earlier than the listed MTD time, is/are accommodated. 

8 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Here is my go to email addies, they have never failed to reply but 2 weeks out seems to be a good time:

Team Lead Dining AffairWhere Administration

Mona Gutierrez <mgutierrez@rccl.com>  

or

Marlene Prieto

Administrator, Restaurant Operation
Food & Beverage Operation
(305)539-6000  |
mprieto1@rccl.com

Those are the folks that usually respond to request.

• Like 1

We always request a table for 2 at the window first seating.  Of course they can't grant a request if you do MTD, but you can reserve a table on board for a specific time and area.

Will be requesting table for 4 at the window on upcoming Allure.

16 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

And this of course is complete bunk.  We have been requesting special table arrangements by email for 25 years and never had a problem in emailing rcldining or the above addies. As recently as December and we cruise 1-2 times a year.   Any of these emails will respond.  I don't use a TA for anything anymore but you may make this request with or without their help, I've done it both ways. No offense to any of you.

Has anyone received a response from rcldining in the last 10 days? The OP and I are examples of at least two people experiencing total silence. I too received a response 9 months ago, and my post is RCLs answer from today for why it won't be honored.

Maybe it is bunk! I hope it's bunk!  I wish I had the same experience as you, but I just have a string of unanswered emails and that bunk from their phone "dining team" customer service today 

2 minutes ago, funfetti said:

Has anyone received a response from rcldining in the last 10 days? The OP and I are examples of at least two people experiencing total silence. I too received a response 9 months ago, and my post is RCLs answer from today for why it won't be honored.

Maybe it is bunk! I hope it's bunk!  I wish I had the same experience as you, but I just have a string of unanswered emails and that bunk from their phone "dining team" customer service today 

It took me 2 emails but I did receive a response from them last week and my request for a table for 1 was honored . I booked through a travel agent

• Thanks 1

In all of our pre-covid sailings, I sent an email request for a table for 2, about 10 days out from sailing, to the rcldining@rccl.com, included our names, sailing date, ship and reservation number.  Within a couple days I received a reply confirming our request and most times listed a table number. Most cruises were on Oasis Class ships, but not all.

Fast forward to our first cruise post-covid on the Oasis, I sent the same email request to the same email address I had always used and heard nothing back.  I sent a second email about a week later, only 6 days out from the cruise, and still no reply.  As soon as we boarded, I looked up in the RCL app and found our table number and proceeded to check the actual table in the dining room.  It was a table for 4, not 2 as I had requested.

Right away, I went and waited in the line to talk to the dining room head waiter.  He told me there were no tables for 2 available and he would put us on a waiting list and get back to us within 24 hours.  We never heard back from dining at all.  I have to admit I never checked back either, but we ended up with nice table mates and made the best of the situation. 

Maybe we'll have better luck next time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, funfetti said:

- As much as I love people-watching, have sympathy for those poor folks waiting in line at the dining room or Guest Services as long as they are not abusive to staff. 

You had early dining and were mysteriously switched to MTD.  Perhaps someone wanted to blame that mishap on your email to rcldining.  That’s just blame shifting, unless you sent the worst phrased email ever so it was misinterpreted as a request to switch to MTD🙄.  As your CruiseCritic posts are easily read, that seems highly unlikely.

Thanks to all for the helpful information in this thread.  I have not cruised in 15 years, so all my info is way out-of-date.  My wife and I are taking our granddaughters (ages 8 and 9) on their first cruise.  Just the 4 of us.  We like meeting new folks per a larger table, but we recognize that many would not like to be seated with children.  Would it be reasonable for us to email rcldining@rccl.com two weeks from sailing date to request that we be seated with another couple with similarly aged children, if practical?  Or is that asking too much?

2 hours ago, DavidMutchler said:

Thanks to all for the helpful information in this thread.  I have not cruised in 15 years, so all my info is way out-of-date.  My wife and I are taking our granddaughters (ages 8 and 9) on their first cruise.  Just the 4 of us.  We like meeting new folks per a larger table, but we recognize that many would not like to be seated with children.  Would it be reasonable for us to email rcldining@rccl.com two weeks from sailing date to request that we be seated with another couple with similarly aged children, if practical?  Or is that asking too much?

Very reasonable request. We usually email to request a specific dining room and even the location. Royal has alway been accommodating.  They rarely if ever respond if you have MTD.  Looks like you are on Allure, if so a table along the balcony railing would offer a great view for the granddaughters. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 2

We usually cruise with friends/family. For the last several cruises we have requested a table just for our group. Prior to that, we sat at whatever table they assigned us to. We found that they always seem to seat us with groups like ours. If it was us and the kids, they sat us at a table with other kids. If it was just adults, they sat us with other adults. If you are interested in meeting new people, go to dinner the first night and see who your tablemates are. If you are not happy with your tablemates the first night, you can ask to be seated at a different table.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 7:26 PM, gavvy said:

We just don't like eating with people we don't know! 

I may give them a ring see if we can switch to mtd

I am completely with you. I have no interest in eating in the MDR if I can't have a table for two. We sent an email to the same address two weeks before our cruise last month and never did hear back. When our stateroom was ready and we were able to get our room keys to see our table number, we immediately went and checked the location and to see if it was a table for two. It was indeed a table for two, and a great location... one of those that was not elbow to elbow with other tables for two, rather it was against a wall on one side and no table to the other side. I had asked for such a table in my email, so maybe they got it and obliged, and just didn't respond.

• Like 1

Another option is to join the roll call for your cruise and mention this.  You might put together your own table.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NCMtnBoys said:

so maybe they got it and obliged, and just didn't respond.

Last cruise on Odyssey in December the response was a copy of the official assignment itself, even had a table # on the document.  So we knew 2 weeks before boarding exactly where our table was.  I have never in 28 cruises not had a response of some kind.  I would post the document they sent here but I've already deleted it from my cruise confirmation file.  We used to back in the day sit at large tables of strangers, it was fun then for a while, but it slowed down our meals so much because of casual conversations,  we never finished.  After we got to be Emerald or so, we just quit that and from that day on have always requested and always had them honored with an email and I got that email addie right here on these boards, then collected others for the individuals I gave addies for.  We do cruise with cruise buds often and at one time 16 members of family reunion and RCCL always delivered.  Don't understand why those of you who haven't gotten results are having this problem...all I can report is our experience.

I’ve been using this email address for years but have had problems with getting a response on my last 2 cruises in Dec and Jan.   I finally received a response after 3 follow ups on my Dec cruise but never heard anything on the January trip.  However our request for a table by the window was honored.

On 2/18/2023 at 6:30 PM, gavvy said:

Hi 

Yes I put name sailing date booking ref and ship on the emails.

Hopefully they will act on it!

As others said dont send until it's 2-3weeks out. Then out of Dozens times I emailed them about 1/4 didnt get reply but always got what I asked for

2 hours ago, Orange jeep said:

Grandma Petnania

What is your preferred table for two on Oasis, I have an upcoming trip.

Along side the balcony railing, tables are not jammed side by side as room is left for the servers to walk past. Great view of the bottom two decks . Once had a great table for eight along the railing.

image.png.d05bca2af4259a0c1108a35bea0ee171.png

Edited by taglovestocruise

My take on this.  If you send an email, like another 100 people, they will place people on a first come bases and reply.  For the many that do not get what they want, they do not reply. 

Ships were designed to socialize since the beginning of time.  But only in recent times does it seem people no longer want to but I do notice it is only from USA sailings.  When I travel overseas it is not unusual both on a ship, and even at some other eating establishments that sitting at a table with others is common.  I even do it sometimes around where I work since it is so crowded.