Nieuw Amsterdam Signature Suite cabins - Some tiny, some large balconies?

PaperSniper4

We're thinking of getting a Signature Suite "Guarantee" cabins on the N Amsterdam. I see categories SS, SY and SZ. There are no Signature suites available for booking today.

SZ is the "guarantee" category I think.

There are only 2 SYs on deck 5, all the way forward and they appear to be handicapped accessible only. There are only 4 SYs on deck 6. Those have "odd" shaped balconies just forward of the "hump". The same for deck 7, again 4 SYs with similar dimensions.

Category SS appears to be the most abundant Signature suite on the ship. There are 4 SSs on deck 5. I'd assume they have the same cabin and balcony size as other SS cabins, but the only video I found on SS5098 shows a very small balcony. The cabin looks the same as all the other SS cabins. I assume the other 3 SS cabins on deck 5 are the same since they are all located next to each other. There are many SS cabins on deck 6. The videos I have found for those show a much larger balcony than those for SS cabins on deck 5. Can that be right?

We'd like to get a Signature cabin, but NOT if it has a small balcony as indicated in the one video I found for SS5098 on deck 5.

If anyone has stayed in the Signature suites on the N Amsterdam, especially those four on deck 5 and compare the balcony to an SS on deck 6, I'd really like to hear from you!

Doug

Never stayed on deck five but several times on deck six in a signature. The only comment I could make that’s worthwhile is I love the ones on the bump… you get a little extra room in the interior and you could move the little cocktail table over there, and it makes the room a little “roomier.”  And I liked the bump out balconies.  Otherwise, I don’t know anything about the ones on deck five.

• Like 2

We love SY6108, SY6113, SY7080 and SY7079 on the aft bump. As mentioned above, they have an extra triangle of space in the cabin and the deck configuration gives you a view forward as well as straight out. They are also close to the aft elevators. We try to book 7080 or 6108 with our next choices being 7079 and 6113. (Same location is preferred on Eurodam and the four Vista ships.)

There are SYs next door to these on Deck 7 (7078, 7077). On Deck 6, the ones next to them are SZs: 6109, 6111. These four have the normal Signature Suite layout. The SYs on Deck 5 are handicapped accessible with single sink (not a double sink) and roll-in shower.

Of the four SS staterooms on Deck 5, I would not book 5098 or 5093 as they are next to the glass elevators. Your balcony can be seen by the elevator passengers. 5096 and 5091 balconies are shielded from view by the dividers.

All other Signature Suites are the same, in my experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

We love SY6108, SY6113, SY7080 and SY7079 on the aft bump. As mentioned above, they have an extra triangle of space in the cabin and the deck configuration gives you a view forward as well as straight out. They are also close to the aft elevators. We try to book 7080 or 6108 with our next choices being 7079 and 6113. (Same location is preferred on Eurodam and the four Vista ships.)

There are SYs next door to these on Deck 7 (7078, 7077). On Deck 6, the ones next to them are SZs: 6109, 6111. These four have the normal Signature Suite layout. The SYs on Deck 5 are handicapped accessible with single sink (not a double sink) and roll-in shower.

Of the four SS staterooms on Deck 5, I would not book 5098 or 5093 as they are next to the glass elevators. Your balcony can be seen by the elevator passengers. 5096 and 5091 balconies are shielded from view by the dividers.

All the category SS Signature Suites are the same, in my experience. The one video I could find is SS5098 which shows a really "thin" balcony. Roger that on all the good info for booking a Signature Suite in the future. I was hoping to get one on this cruise (21 Oct 2023) but they are all gone already!

Are the SS balconies on deck 5 very small? The one video I could find shows SS5098 with a very thin balcony. Thanks for the good info on the Signature suite locations. We wanted one on this cruise (21Oct2023) but looks like we'll have to stay with our aft view VB cabin.

Doug

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 6:21 PM, PaperSniper4 said:

Are the SS balconies on deck 5 very small? The one video I could find shows SS5098 with a very thin balcony. Thanks for the good info on the Signature suite locations. We wanted one on this cruise (21Oct2023) but looks like we'll have to stay with our aft view VB cabin.

Doug

We said the same thing..received an offer to upgrade to a SS or Neptune for an additional cost, but seeing the locations of both, we decided to keep our aft balcony VB as well...

1 hour ago, 2flacruisers said:

We said the same thing..received an offer to upgrade to a SS or Neptune for an additional cost, but seeing the locations of both, we decided to keep our aft balcony VB as well...

Yeah, it's a crap shoot, and I am not a gambler. ANY of the signature suites (or better) would be acceptable except for those on deck 5. We'll just wait until our next HAL cruise and try to book early enough to get a firm cabin assignment.

Doug

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 3:10 PM, Cruise Suzy said:

Thank you for this info! I booked our first HAL cruise for hubby's 60th to Alaska and got SY6113. Glad to know it's a good room. I thought so, but since I've never been on HAL wasn't quite sure how the rooms were compared to the deck plans.

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2023 at 9:10 PM, Cruise Suzy said:

Very happy I stumbled a cross this post - booked our first cruise ever (as in ever ever) for Sept23 and thought SY7079 looked best from options I was given and now Suzy gives it the thumbs up 👍🏻 

Can you advise why you rate 7080 even higher? 

1 hour ago, BWBL said:

Can you advise why you rate 7080 even higher?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

When sailing from Ft. Lauderdale, the port side balconies (even numbered staterooms) are the ones that the camera can focus on. Family and friends can view us as we leave - even if there's a slight rain - without us having to leave our stateroom. DH won't go up for the sail-away festivities.

Edited by Cruise Suzy

14 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

When sailing from Ft. Lauderdale, the port side balconies (even numbered staterooms) are the ones that the camera can focus on. Family and friends can view us as we leave - even if there's a slight rain - without us having to leave our stateroom. DH won't go up for the sail-away festivities.

Thanks Suzy - that explains it. Think we’ll just compensate by joining the sail-away festivities 🥳 🙃

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Cire3081 said:

Anyone have any input about cabin SZ6106 on Niew Amsterdam? What are the Signature Suite differences SS, SY, SZ?

Basically the difference is HAL's thoughts on the desirability of each cabin location.  Generally speaking, the cabins are the same, with the difference being location.  Of course, your idea of better location might be different than HAL's, so check the locations out for yourself.

On 2/19/2023 at 5:21 PM, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug

All of the Deck 5 balconies in the indented portion of the ship (or whatever you call that section) above the lifeboats are about 1 1/2' shallower than those of Deck 6 directly above.  If you look at 4:00 into the following video of SS5098, you'll see Deck 6 extends out much further than the 5098 balcony.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/shipcabins/video/16/16748.mp4

Perhaps someone else can confirm the reason behind the Deck 5 balcony setback is to provide more room for operation of the lifeboats directly below.  Or rather, insetting that Deck 5 balcony section permits the lifeboats to be stored inboard enough to not extend beyond the outer line of the ship, which is necessary in order to use the old locks at the Panama Canal (seem to remember reading that somewhere).

On 2/19/2023 at 11:43 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

We're thinking of getting a Signature Suite "Guarantee" cabins on the N Amsterdam. I see categories SS, SY and SZ. There are no Signature suites available for booking today.

SZ is the "guarantee" category I think.

There are only 2 SYs on deck 5, all the way forward and they appear to be handicapped accessible only. There are only 4 SYs on deck 6. Those have "odd" shaped balconies just forward of the "hump". The same for deck 7, again 4 SYs with similar dimensions.

Category SS appears to be the most abundant Signature suite on the ship. There are 4 SSs on deck 5. I'd assume they have the same cabin and balcony size as other SS cabins, but the only video I found on SS5098 shows a very small balcony. The cabin looks the same as all the other SS cabins. I assume the other 3 SS cabins on deck 5 are the same since they are all located next to each other. There are many SS cabins on deck 6. The videos I have found for those show a much larger balcony than those for SS cabins on deck 5. Can that be right?

We'd like to get a Signature cabin, but NOT if it has a small balcony as indicated in the one video I found for SS5098 on deck 5.

If anyone has stayed in the Signature suites on the N Amsterdam, especially those four on deck 5 and compare the balcony to an SS on deck 6, I'd really like to hear from you!

Doug

We always book a Signature Suite on deck 6.  They are more spendy but the location is better, 

On 2/21/2023 at 7:41 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

Yeah, it's a crap shoot, and I am not a gambler. ANY of the signature suites (or better) would be acceptable except for those on deck 5. We'll just wait until our next HAL cruise and try to book early enough to get a firm cabin assignment.

Doug

Some of the balcony suites next to the center elevators (the glass ones) can be peered down upon by elevator riders.

13 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Some of the balcony suites next to the center elevators (the glass ones) can be peered down upon by elevator riders.

We ended up booking an aft view cabin for our October 2023 cruise. I am not comfortable booking any "guarantee category", so we went with our next favorite cabin type.

As to other passengers peering into our balcony, heck, they have to suffer the consequences! I look quite shocking in the morning with my first cup of coffee. If they look, I am not responsible for their reaction!😳

Doug

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...

We have been offered an upgrade to a Signature Suite (550 pp) or a Neptune Suite for 1150 pp. this doesn’t seem worth the money unless you get perks in addition to a little more room. Can I get some advice on this offer? TIA

1 hour ago, amandas friend said:

We have been offered an upgrade to a Signature Suite (550 pp) or a Neptune Suite for 1150 pp. this doesn’t seem worth the money unless you get perks in addition to a little more room.

The Neptune Suite has perks, the Signature -- just more room. As per this chart, from 

Suites & Staterooms (hollandamerica.com)

Suite Perks.jpg

1 hour ago, amandas friend said:

Deck 10. Veranda 

Well, I like that location pretty well, myself -- between the Lido and the Crows Nest! You will not get the double Mariner points with an upsell, if that matters. Eventually, you and any travelling companions just have to decide where you want to spend your money! Good luck!

Check pics here:

Signature Class | HAL Cruiser Information (halfacts.com)

Compare with the deckplan as the photos are not noted which level suite they are (signature vs neptune).

7 hours ago, amandas friend said:

We have been offered an upgrade to a Signature Suite (550 pp) or a Neptune Suite for 1150 pp. this doesn’t seem worth the money unless you get perks in addition to a little more room. Can I get some advice on this offer? TIA

IMO the Neptune is totally worth it,  we’ve never regretted taking an upsell.  Just don’t wait too long, they go quickly!