Ordering other food in a specialty restaurant

dominicr

Anyone have any experience ordering different food in a specialty restaurant?  

example: If you go to Hooked can you get something from say chops or Jamie’s?  There are people in our group who do not eat any type of seafood.  

I know they would do that for our kids in the past but never tried as an adult ordering something else.  

1 minute ago, dominicr said:

example: If you go to Hooked can you get something from say chops or Jamie’s?  There are people in our group who do not eat any type of seafood.  

I know they would do that for our kids in the past but never tried as an adult ordering something else.  

I would never try that at Hooked as it is not near any other restaurant.  The only thing we have ever done is ask for a cold app from a different restaurant in CP.  Even that I stopped by the restaurant in  the afternoon and made the request so the waiter wouldn't have to try to do this when they were busy. 

49 minutes ago, dominicr said:

I definitely wouldn’t do that.  

• Like 1

You may have some success if the specialty is near another, but to others points, if it's hooked, it's generally not near any other restaurant so I wouldn't try. We've a few times ordered a shrimp cocktail from Chops in giovanni's on oasis ships since it's right across the way, but that's about as far as we've ever asked. 

• Like 1

I'd just eat dinner at separate restaurants. This seems like kind of a rude thing to ask a waiter to do. You want them to leave the restaurant, place a special order at another restaurant, and then go back to pick it up (or have another waiter leave their restaurant to bring it over)? I would feel way too uncomfortable to even think of asking someone to do this. 

I'm sure that they'd allow you to come into the restaurant with food that you already picked up from another restaurant, but good luck getting a to-go order. I've tried and they don't seem to operate in a way that makes pick-up/to-go orders very quick or easy.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On Grandeur in January, went to Giovannis on lobster night.

The table behind us makes a moderate deal about wanting a lobster added to his dinner.  The wait staff, wanting to clarify, which was fair because English was not first language, says something like - Are you asking to take your Giovanni’s plate to the MDR to eat there, or did you want MDR to run lobster up to him.?

Guy says, non,no, can’t you just go get some for our table here? Wait staff goes to ask supervisor, who comes out to explain he can’t have staff run to MDR, if he wants lobster he will need to go to MDR.  

The supervisor walks by our table rolling his eyes.

Eddie

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Why would a person who doesn't like Seafood.

Go to a Seafood restaurant?

Truly the wisest words on this thread. Not sure why a non-seafood lover would book a specialty seafood restaurant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

On Grandeur in January, went to Giovannis on lobster night.

The table behind us makes a moderate deal about wanting a lobster added to his dinner.  The wait staff, wanting to clarify, which was fair because English was not first language, says something like - Are you asking to take your Giovanni’s plate to the MDR to eat there, or did you want MDR to run lobster up to him.?

Guy says, non,no, can’t you just go get some for our table here? Wait staff goes to ask supervisor, who comes out to explain he can’t have staff run to MDR, if he wants lobster he will need to go to MDR.  

The supervisor walks by our table rolling his eyes.

Eddie

I really don’t see the big deal.  It’s just giving good service.

A few years ago, my wife (a carnivore) wanted to go to the Samba Grill at the Solarium.  We paid for one but I (a pescatarian) wanted to keep her company - not intending to eat anything but maybe having a beer.  I was offered the salad buffet for free and I accepted.  When the waiter took my wife's order, he asked me and I told him the story.  He asked if I would like a fish dish (not on their menu).  He brought a nice piece of salmon and a cauliflower dish - both were delicious.  He must have walked to another specialty restaurant.  My wife remarked that they made more of a fuss over me and not her - the paying customer!  We certainly tipped well that day.

Edited by MD_Dan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dominicr said:

I don’t eat seafood but have eaten at hooked. I ordered the turf and turf.

5 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Why would a person who doesn't like Seafood.

Go to a Seafood restaurant?

Because my husband and dd love seafood. So I am happy to make one sacrifice and go with the turf and turf. It’s not like there is nothing on the menu I can eat. 

17 hours ago, dominicr said:

The people in your group can go to Jamie's and you and your party can go to Hooked.  You don't need to eat together every night if you want different food, unless you are talking about kids.  Than they have a kids menu and I think just about everyplace will have chicken fingers. Plus Hooked does have a plate with a steak on it, so they can order that plate, and only eat the steak and sides. 

When we ate at Wonderland on Anthem they offered to get me other food because I'm allergic to crustaceans, but I refused. There was more than enough non-crustacean food and I didn't see the need for someone to go running to another restaurant or the MDR. 

I was at hooked this week and well waiting for the check I was browsing on Facebook and saw a picture of the dining room crème brûlée and said to my mom, that looks good. Our waiter happened to over hear me and asked if I’d like one, he offered to run to the dining room to get it. I declined, as I felt that was not right, but they are willing to do things like that. By the way - the steak at hooked was so good! For non seafood eaters there is a nice salad they can get with chicken too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 11:33 PM, Airbear232 said:

I really don’t see the big deal.  It’s just giving good service.

I thinks it’s a slippery slope.  I would not go to the wine bar and ask them to run to Starbucks to fetch me a coffee.

The server at Giovanni’s provided EXCELLENT service, that’s their job.  But they can’t be expected to jump around the ship to other locations. If so staff from all venues would be on personal procurement favors all day long, and they would not be at their job stations serving their assigned duties.