Celebrity Cruise Pricing

High on the Seas

1 hour ago, jakebloke said:

I just priced a cruise that leaves in 3 days on the Apex.  An S1 suite is priced at $10,355 for a one week western Carib cruise.  In comparison, I sailed in an S1 suite on Apex  back in December for a one week cruise and paid $5400 total  (granted, decent price, booked onboard the Summit in June 2022)  But that's just insane.    I would think last minute, they'd try and fill the ship by offering some deals.  

Also edit:  Aquaclass was over $7000.  When did Aquaclass become $1000+ per day?  

This is how they are protecting pricing.  Don't reduce last minute and use MoveUp to generate incremental revenue for using the empty upper level cabins.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jakebloke said:

I just priced a cruise that leaves in 3 days on the Apex.  An S1 suite is priced at $10,355 for a one week western Carib cruise.  In comparison, I sailed in an S1 suite on Apex  back in December for a one week cruise and paid $5400 total  (granted, decent price, booked onboard the Summit in June 2022)  But that's just insane.    I would think last minute, they'd try and fill the ship by offering some deals.  

Also edit:  Aquaclass was over $7000.  When did Aquaclass become $1000+ per day?  

THAT's an absolutely ridiculous price for a Sky Suite on a one week cruise and in the Caribbean no less.   THAT is not sustainable because I don't believe there are that many really foolish people who pay that price.  At least I would certainly hope not.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

THAT's an absolutely ridiculous price for a Sky Suite on a one week cruise and in the Caribbean no less.   THAT is not sustainable because I don't believe there are that many really foolish people who pay that price.  At least I would certainly hope not.

There are only a few sky suites left but a suite guarantee is $3500pp which isn't that unreasonable. 

5 minutes ago, OysterD said:

There are only a few sky suites left but a suite guarantee is $3500pp which isn't that unreasonable. 

A lot better that the 10K they are asking for it....  though for a Sky 7 nights in Carib even $3500 isn't a  bargain at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OysterD said:

I suppose, if we were measuring varying degrees of unreasonableness. For me, once you cross that line, it doesn't really matter how far you go.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Suites almost always sail full. The logic is working. Sell at a high price. Those who are willing to pay or willing to pay for specific cabins pay full price. At that point if the ship isn't full, sell the remaining suites at a minimum of $1,000 per person to upgrade on top of the fare already paid. Most E class cruises average about $4,000 for a seven night cruise in an IV so they are still realistically selling low level suites at $6,000-$7,000 for a seven night cruise and going upward from there. 

23 hours ago, TeeRick said:
  On 2/21/2023 at 11:07 AM, RichYak said:

Next month I'm on Millennium sailing out of San Juan. There's nothing comparable in 2024, but in 2025, Summit sails from there, which as you know is the same class ship and both are revolutionized.

To compare to my current March 2023 booking, I chose the same week in March 2025, same stateroom category, right down to the same cabin #. The fare is higher by 108%.

To answer your question, no, I don't expect cruise prices to be the same as 2019. But I would ask you, do you think more than double is appropriate?

Wow that is a great illustration.  And a ridiculous increase!  I was trying to point out that all prices that we deal with are very much elevated these days.  We should expect cruise price increases in general.  But no way that the same cabin and ship/class should be up 108%.  I actually do not have another Celebrity cruise booked at all- for the first time in years.  We are renting a beach house for a month- for less than the price of a Celebrity cruise for a week in the Retreat.

Not so great - it all depends.  There is no direct formula or tend: we booked Aqua category on Beyond (booked in March 2022) for April, 2024 (10-day) and on Ascent (booked in January 2023) for April 2025 (7-day) - a good comparison (it is for the same month and cabin category).  A month later after we booked Beyond, the price was increased by 44%; recently (a few weeks ago) the price went down but still 15% higher than our price.  Our Ascent cruise is 25% less (not more) than the price we booked for our Beyond cruise (I calculated both cruises per day in case someone will question it) and 88% less than the price for our Beyond cruise that was 1 month after we booked it.  So, here we see a swing in almost 200% (196% to be exact108% higher in the first post I comment on + 88 % in my post).

Edited by kirtihk

8 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

This is how they are protecting pricing.  Don't reduce last minute and use MoveUp to generate incremental revenue for using the empty upper level cabins.  

E-class, having the newer ships, more modern restaurants etc. will cost more.

On 2/20/2023 at 4:30 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Are you not able to reprice a cruise when the price drops if you have a nonrefundable deposit?  I believe I have done this in the past. Currently, refundable deposit bookings cost significantly more 😳

You can reprice with a non refundable deposit as well.  I suggested a refundable deposit in case the price never goes down to an acceptable price.  

Had a look at our next trip on the Equinox in September and to book the same type of room and deal we have is now 48% more and the ship looks pretty full. Can the complainers on here please do so more loudly and spread the word as much as possible please, would like a reasonably full ship but not too much so 😁

On 2/21/2023 at 11:06 AM, grandgeezer said:

I don’t make any decision strictly on the cost, it’s based on my perceived value of what I’m getting. That’s why I paid over $3,000 for a tv Black Friday 2021. One of the best buys ever ever.

Back to the subject. I didn’t think there was enough value in 2019 to cruise, and what I’ve read things aren’t any better now, so even if the price stayed the same, it would still be a no go.

Thats exactly what it is, everyone's owned perceived value.  I can still find cruises in my range that Im comfortable with.  Mostly get group rates with various TA's that I use but it's shopping around.  And your example of the TV reminded me of the value or perceived, I don't own a tv and would find spending 3000 not any value at all to me.  But everyone is different overall in what they prioritize and find important.  Mine is more travel based now, 

8 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Thats exactly what it is, everyone's owned perceived value.  I can still find cruises in my range that Im comfortable with.  Mostly get group rates with various TA's that I use but it's shopping around.  And your example of the TV reminded me of the value or perceived, I don't own a tv and would find spending 3000 not any value at all to me.  But everyone is different overall in what they prioritize and find important.  Mine is more travel based now, 

Finally, someone gets it. Thanks for your response. The comment about not owning a tv really caught me off guard. Not judging, if you see no value in having one it’s your call.

On 2/22/2023 at 12:16 PM, Gracie115 said:

JW Marriott Marco Island Florida at the beginning of March is $1200/night for a standard room - $8000 for the week   That price doesnt include food, booze or shows. It will sell out

Still think the X price is ridiculous ?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, tfred said:

JW Marriott Marco Island Florida at the beginning of March is $1200/night for a standard room - $8000 for the week   That price doesnt include food, booze or shows. It will sell out

Why would anyone spend that kind of money for Florida 🤔🤣

11 minutes ago, tfred said:

Can’t they both be ridiculous?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Can’t they both be ridiculous?

they can both be ridiculous, but it does show what X is looking at for competition pricing.  It isn't only HAL or Princess.  It also isn't the inside cabin crowd looking for their free Elite drinks either.  

X believes they can lure/poach the land resort crowd that is looking for a quality product at sea aka "floating resort."  That quality doesn't mean prime rib or a lobster tail every night - no one at a land based resort cares about that - they just want a good variety of food 

People stay at Marriott Marco Island (et al) since it is a quality product (I've stayed there), absolutely no surprises and any legitimate guest issues are quickly resolved.  

• Like 1

To be honest all vacations be it cruises, land, rail or air have all increased. I have sailed on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Celebrity. Each cruise line has it owns hits and misses. Since Covid the service industry has suffered and honestly each cruise line has tried to make adjustments. All you can do is pick a cheaper time to travel, downgrade your accommodations, shop different line/itineraries, and wait for sales. There are advantages and disadvantages to each and every line and ship. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, tfred said:

Sure do...... and so is the JW Marriot .... 

Edited by Gracie115
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 10:14 AM, jakebloke said:

You can get a true luxury small ship or boutique cruise experience with better food, higher crew ratios, and stellar service for less.  We are looking elsewhere for our future cruises.

1 hour ago, tfred said:

Yes, and this is the most ridiculous defense of Celebrity’s pricing yet. Congrats. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Yes, and this is the most ridiculous defense of Celebrity’s pricing yet. Congrats. 

it isn't a defense, it is X reacting to resort pricing in the non-cruise market.  If various land based resorts can get that kind of pricing then certainly X will react to that.  There are no shortage of land resorts that get those kind of rates.  You can get some lower priced, second tier hotels in resort areas but the total package isn't there 

Even in the latest X  TV commercials they refer to themselves as a "resort" and not (necessarily) a cruise line