2/20: Changes, Price Increases, etc. MEGATHREAD

talkorpi

1 minute ago, Sea Hag said:

It's below the packages. Go to the links in the home page footer. Scroll down and find coffee package. There's a link to details or learn more or similar. Click that to launch a pop up. That's where this came from.

I found it but not a price. Can you see a price on your computer?? Often / usually Droid & computer differ. Really interested as my next cruise has only 2 Sea days. With how (un)reliable wifi is I'm not sure I even need it!

The cruise after that has 2 blocks of 6 sea days. Might need wifi there. 

Just now, Ombud said:

I found it but not a price. Can you see a price on your computer?? Often / usually Droid & computer differ. Really interested as my next cruise has only 2 Sea days. With how (un)reliable wifi is I'm not sure I even need it!

The cruise after that has 2 blocks of 6 sea days. Might need wifi there. 

I didn't see prices either. I doubt we'll buy it. I hate giving up the mini bar swap 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Marketing ... waiting to see what Brad can trade his mini-bar for on Saturday. Then to see if I can buy pre-cruise or onboard with OBC

Looking forward to hearing back from you on purchasing Plus onboard. I like the idea of using OBC to pay for it and not having to pay the extra insurance on it if purchased pre-cruise. I do like the Plus package and not having a large bill at the end. Just finished a 10 day cruise and our final bill was $0.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, and I don't think  am, the Elite mini bar swap is gone. I'm angry.

New Grounds Coffee Package

Terms & Conditions

What is Included

• The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate.
  • Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees purchased in the package in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and/or itinerary.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue’s menu offerings and operating hours.

Package Details and Qualifications

• The package may be pre-purchased up to 4 days prior to boarding the vessel.
  • The package is NOT available for pre-purchase within 3 days of sailing.
  • The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose.
  • Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.

Exclusions and Limitations

• Does NOT apply to bottled or ready to drink items such as canned coffee items etc.
  • CANNOT be redeemed when ordering Room Service or for Mini Bar items.

Terms and Conditions

• Princess Cruises may modify, amend or update these terms and conditions of our beverage packages / offers at any time with or without notice to guests. The terms and conditions as published on princess.com on the date of sailing will apply, in addition to the terms and conditions of the passage contract.
  • Not all exclusions or limitations can be foreseen or published here and may exist or be implemented with or without notice.
  • Pricing is subject to change without notice, and for vessels designated in a foreign currency (Australia as an example), packages purchased in advance may vary from onboard pricing due to timing and currency fluctuations. Guests will NOT incur additional charges, nor be issued any credits or refunds for such currency variances.
  • By purchasing a coffee package, you agree to these and all future terms and conditions.

Not what that highlighted line means.  As to whether the mini-bar swap is discontinued, it could be if what swapping out to no longer exists.  I could see them doing mini-bar swap for ONE of the no-alcohol packages, but I wouldn't count on it.

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

$52 a day?  Is that the zero alcohol package?  I thought it was $47.19 total per person per day?  So confused.

That’s insane.  We don’t do the sugar drinks.

Yes, $47.  But Princess is equally nuts with this pricing as they are with the separate alcohol Plus and Premier packages.

$47 + $16 Crew Appreciation = $53.  Only $7 less than the $60 Plus.  If you can buy MedallionNet for $7.50, well that brings total to over $60 if necessary to convince.  The zero alcohol package is useless - may as well buy the Plus and have some alcohol as well.  

We don't buy the packages, BTW.  No value in it for us - especially with the new pricing.  We didn't even buy Plus at the old $40/pp ($80/couple). 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, $47.  But Princess is equally nuts with this pricing as they are with the separate alcohol Plus and Premier packages.

$47 + $16 Crew Appreciation = $53.  Only $7 less than the $60 Plus.  If you can buy MedallionNet for $7.50, well that brings total to over $60 if necessary to convince.  The zero alcohol package is useless - may as well buy the Plus and have some alcohol as well.  

We don't buy the packages, BTW.  No value in it for us - especially with the new pricing.  We didn't even buy Plus at the old $40/pp ($80/couple). 

Ooops.. 47+16= 63, not 53

Now…add on the exchange to CAD for me and it really becomes ridiculous. Just that non alcohol package becomes about 950.00 per person for 15 days. That’s a lot of coffee and sugary drinks. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Not what that highlighted line means.  As to whether the mini-bar swap is discontinued, it could be if what swapping out to no longer exists.  I could see them doing mini-bar swap for ONE of the no-alcohol packages, but I wouldn't count on it.

That was the old language from when they converted from card to the electronic version.  It is nothing new.  It has been in there for years.  All it meant is that your can not get minibar items as one of your drinks.

3 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Ooops.. 47+16= 63, not 53

Now…add on the exchange to CAD for me and it really becomes ridiculous. Just that non alcohol package becomes about 950.00 per person for 15 days. That’s a lot of coffee and sugary drinks. 

(Red-faced math major here).  Yes, but even with the correct figure of $63, we still don't drink anywhere near $57/day in beverages. 

IMO the CAD exchange is irrelevant since everything on the ship is in USD (unless in Australia).

@Sea Hag I finally found it, read it, still wondering but looks like its ok. No tea so will figure it out for me personally 

2 changes on the coffee pkg t&c:20230223_212922.thumb.jpg.e02f99993cf8b715a5bc7c030365112c.jpg

# of specialty coffees & price varies based on voyage. Also cannot trade minibar for it. So the pkg is still offered. 

Still wonder what I can trade minibar for. 

Edited by Ombud

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

(Red-faced math major here).  Yes, but even with the correct figure of $63, we still don't drink anywhere near $57/day in beverages. 

IMO the CAD exchange is irrelevant since everything on the ship is in USD (unless in Australia).

You are right, it isn’t relevant to you. I still recalculate everything into my cost. 
I’m just saying, that’s about 20 cups of coffee or pop every day, just to break even for me. I think I’ll pass. 

Just now, Happiest when cruising said:

You are right, it isn’t relevant to you. I still recalculate everything into my cost. 
I’m just saying, that’s about 20 cups of coffee or pop every day, just to break even for me. I think I’ll pass. 

What I meant was the cost of a package in CAD is basically irrelevant because the cost of purchasing drinks and other things on board is in USD as well.  So, if one is comparing separate expenses versus a package, may as well do the compare in USD.  You can think of any differential then in CAD as well as USD.  I always think of cruising costs in USD since that is what the actual pricing is.  I know it costs more in CAD, but often less than what Princess converts at.  

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@Sea Hag I finally found it, read it, still wondering but looks like its ok. No tea so will figure it out for me personally 

2 changes on the coffee pkg t&c:20230223_212922.thumb.jpg.e02f99993cf8b715a5bc7c030365112c.jpg

# of specialty coffees & price varies based on voyage. Also cannot trade minibar for it. So the pkg is still offered. 

Still wonder what I can trade minibar for. 

That language has been there since they went from the old paper coffee cards to the electronic version.  That is when they changed the language about having to be used during cruise of purchase.    Nothing to do with the current situation

22 minutes ago, ldtr said:

That language has been there since they went from the old paper coffee cards to the electronic version.  That is when they changed the language about having to be used during cruise of purchase.    Nothing to do with the current situation

Respectfully disagree as it could be traded for the minibar in December 2022 + it previously stated '15 specialty coffees'. Now it states # determined by itinerary. Also new t&c omits any reference to tea, which was there last week. Also states varies by ship.  But will know Saturday 

Edited by Ombud

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

What I meant was the cost of a package in CAD is basically irrelevant because the cost of purchasing drinks and other things on board is in USD as well.  So, if one is comparing separate expenses versus a package, may as well do the compare in USD.  You can think of any differential then in CAD as well as USD.  I always think of cruising costs in USD since that is what the actual pricing is.  I know it costs more in CAD, but often less than what Princess converts at.  

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Respectfully disagree as it could be traded for the minibar in December 2022 + it previously stated '15 specialty coffees'. Now it states # determined by itinerary. Also new t&c omits any reference to tea, which was there last week. But will know Saturday 

It’s currently at 35% for my upcoming cruise. 

I guess I see it differently, if a basic restaurant hamburger is 20.00 and I have to add 35%,  that makes it 27.00. I’m not ordering a hamburger- it’s too expensive for my taste. I’ll wait until I get back to Canada. 
So, that’s all I mean. It doesn’t really help me to do it in USD. I try to just do the exchange before we leave and forget about it…but my mind automatically still tells me when something is too expensive, or I can pay less at home. I’m sure people that come from the US do the same, as in deduct 35% from that same hamburger…it makes it more tasty at 13.00. 

My travel budget is in CAD, so I have to keep things in check, 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Respectfully disagree as it could be traded for the minibar in December 2022 + it previously stated '15 specialty coffees'. Now it states # determined by itinerary. Also new t&c omits any reference to tea, which was there last week. Also states varies by ship.  But will know Saturday 

Yes it could be, but the quoted language does not say that  the minibar cannot be traded for it.  What the language says is that you cannot use the coffee card to purchase minibar items, just as you cannot use it for room service.  

They do not have anything about Elite benefits in the description of the coffee card program, that is all covered in the Elite benefits.

The exact language says that it cannot be redeemed as in  in one of the 15 drinks cannot be used for a minibar item or for room service.

After all it would make not sense to include the room service language in that line if it had anything to do with the minibar swap.  

That language about not being able to redeem for room service or for mini-bar items, ever since the paper cards went away and they went to the electronic system.

Cannot say about the first line.  I seem to recall that they added that language before, but never offered anything other than the 15 drink option.

Edited by ldtr

Just boarded Majestic Princess today in Sydney Australia.   We deal in Aus dollars but the principal should be the same.  We have plus package but booked before price increases.   Was $50 Australian dollars pp a day and a drink limit of $16 per drink.  The plus package is now $65 pp a day and a drink limit of $22 per drink.  The drinks prices don't seem to have changed much so I can still enjoy thr same drinks I was having when last on-board in December.   One advantage for me is that I love an espresso martini.  It cost $22 in December so as per drink limit was $16 per drink I had to pay the difference of $6 each time.  Just had one today and no extra charge as they are still priced at $22 so my plus package now fully covers the cost as our drink limit is now $22 per drink, so I am happy!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, korky1 said:

Just boarded Majestic Princess today in Sydney Australia.   We deal in Aus dollars but the principal should be the same.  We have plus package but booked before price increases.   Was $50 Australian dollars pp a day and a drink limit of $16 per drink.  The plus package is now $65 pp a day and a drink limit of $22 per drink.  The drinks prices don't seem to have changed much so I can still enjoy thr same drinks I was having when last on-board in December.   One advantage for me is that I love an espresso martini.  It cost $22 in December so as per drink limit was $16 per drink I had to pay the difference of $6 each time.  Just had one today and no extra charge as they are still priced at $22 so my plus package now fully covers the cost as our drink limit is now $22 per drink, so I am happy!!

I am glad that one person is coming out ahead with these packages.  I am sure the bean counters tilted the curve in their favor.  I just wonder how many (what percent) will NOT take advantage of all the added perks.  

Pay and not use = pure profit. 

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am glad that one person is coming out ahead with these packages.  I am sure the bean counters tilted the curve in their favor.  I just wonder how many (what percent) will NOT take advantage of all the added perks.  

Pay and not use = pure profit. 

Not sure how that works with relation to the gym classes. The instructor is on board already, and presumably gets paid regardless of how many people take up the two free classes option.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Not sure how that works with relation to the gym classes. The instructor is on board already, and presumably gets paid regardless of how many people take up the two free classes option.

BUT as some one else pointed out, if even a small percentage of beverage package holders decide to take advantage of the 2 classes, Princess would have to hire more instructors or pull from another pool.  Which would then create a shortage in that department…affecting those passengers.  Shortage of personnel or hiring more?  Which avenue do you think Princess will take?  Of course, I am speculating and being hypothetical.  

You are probably correct, class sizes would probably not increase significantly.  I went from teaching 15 students to a district that I had 40 kids x 6 classes.  

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

BUT as some one else pointed out, if even a small percentage of beverage package holders decide to take advantage of the 2 classes, Princess would have to hire more instructors or pull from another pool.  Which would then create a shortage in that department…affecting those passengers.  Shortage of personnel or hiring more?  Which avenue do you think Princess will take?  Of course, I am speculating and being hypothetical.  

You are probably correct, class sizes would probably not increase significantly.  I went from teaching 15 students to a district that I had 40 kids x 6 classes.  

Indeed - and if the uptake is high, where would the classes take place ? On sea days, it would be entirely possible that 200+ people may wish to participate.   

I can imagine classes being scheduled at 5 am - that way Princess can claim that they were fulfilling their obligation to offer classes,  and they could not be held responsible if individuals did not want to get up at an ungodly hour!  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Indeed - and if the uptake is high, where would the classes take place ? On sea days, it would be entirely possible that 200+ people may wish to participate.   

I can imagine classes being scheduled at 5 am - that way Princess can claim that they were fulfilling their obligation to offer classes,  and they could not be held responsible if individuals did not want to get up at an ungodly hour!  

Most cruisers might try 1 class, after that the majority won't.  Those that exercise regularly are already there, those of us who are tourists hardly know where the gym is, nor do we care!  But by making it seem like it's another perk... it's marketing.

Like the fancy desserts.  We'll order 1, just to try it out and that's probably it.  As will most adults.

But the kids with the plus package?  That's what's going to sell the price difference to the kids and parents wallets.  Kids are going to get their fill of dessert, 2 of them a day.  Happy kids.  And soda and if they choose, fancy nonbooze drinks.  

I think that's what princess is aiming for. 

8 hours ago, Coral said:

This was sent to my travel agent from Princess.

The Coffee only for 15 coffees  a day has been discontinued from 02/19/2023.

There never was a limit on coffees a day. There was a limit of 15 specialty coffees during the cruise, but unlimited brewed coffees during the cruise.

Thus, I do not know how accurate the rest of the notice your TA received is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, caribill said:

There never was a limit on coffees a day. There was a limit of 15 specialty coffees during the cruise, but unlimited brewed coffees during the cruise.

Thus, I do not know how accurate the rest of the notice your TA received is.

You got an honest laugh out of me for that catch.  I'm a HUGE caffeine addict and I'd blow up with 15 caffeinated beverages per day.  I might start licking walls! 

Now I know how the rare drinkers feel about the 15 booze drinks a day limit! 

Thanks for the laugh.  

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Yep.  Same here.  Nothing at all logical about the zero policy plan. 
We’re going to have to pause soon too. 😞

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1