The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday February 22nd, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is Ash Wednesday, George Washington's Birthday, and Be Humble Day

For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Meal Suggestion for today - Coconut Curry Shrimp & Peas
Drink of the Day - Holly Jolly Punch
Wine of the Day - Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou, St.Julien, Bordeaux, France 2014
Destination of the Day - Djupivogur, Iceland

Eurodam

Dry Dock Bahamas Bahamas until 3/3

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island eta 2-24

Nieuw Amsterdam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 10:00 - 23:00

Nieuw Statendam

Ocho Rios, Jamaica 09:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Puerto Montt, Chile 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 19:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Recife, Brazil eta 2-23

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Huatulco, La Crucecita, Mexico Riviera eta 2-23

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea

Westerdam

Surabaya, Java Indonesia 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Port Louis, Mauritius Island eta 3-02

image.thumb.png.d4a005e5e01a9fe41c3d384cbdd5665a.png

image.thumb.png.77ea86acab1083aaca73ea268b9a292f.png

Sandi for Roy and Rich

• Like 26
  • Thanks 15

Good morning friends!  It's a very warm 61 degrees this February morning.  We expect sun and clouds mixed with a high of 79F.  I bet we will see 80.  Nothing new to report.  Another night with hours of wakefulness in the second half.  Yesterday I went downstairs to our dark "napping" room at 2 and rested until 4.  I do believe I spent half that time sleeping!  🙂

Today is Ash Wednesday, George Washington's Birthday and Be Humble Day.  Happy beginning of Lent for all who celebrate this season.  Happy birthday to dear George, the Father of our Country, and I shall try to always remain humble.  Not eating meat today, we could try today's menu suggestion for our meal, I would think.  It doesn't sound like it has any meat products in it.  Debbie @dfishwill let us know with her recipe selections today.  The drink name sounds happy - is it a party punch?🍹  What do you say Dixie @summer slope?   And the wine today sounds expensive, and red.  Will I be surprised when Ann @cat shepardshows us the facts?🍷

Today is a good day to pray for our members and family who are on the Care list, as well as those hurting in the trouble spots.🙏  Ukraine, Turkey and Sicily (another earthquake!), and New Zealand.  I hope things improve there soon.  Congratulations to our soon to be cruisers, those already cruising, and all the happy events presented by our Dailyite Vanessa @JazzyV.  🥂🎉

Today's port destination is Djupivogur, Iceland which is one I've never been to before but I think it's scheduled on my summer 2023 HAL cruise.  A good reason to go back to Iceland!  Hope to see some photos today.  We have had this port twice before on July 13, 2021 and December 11, 2022 so here are the links for you to retrieve any photos posted back then.

Though many are away from home right now we hope to hear from the rest of you. Come join us if you have been lurking and afraid to post before.  Meanwhile, have a wonderful day everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Happy birthday George. As mentioned yesterday or day before Mr. Washington was born in 1732, the same as the square root of 3, 1.732. RNB birth date is the same mathematically as the quadratic equation divided by F (x) * x-y/4. Figure that one out CC members.

To celebrate Be Humble Day I will have some humble bumble bee tuna for lunch.

• Like 16
  • Haha 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

We've got a winter storm warning.  A big bad storm is heading our way, ice pellets, freezing rain and lots of snow starting later today.  I hope the power stays on.

Interesting collection of days.   Happy Birthday Mr Washington.  I'm usually humble.

I love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  Hope the drink and wine are tasty.

I think we were in Djupivor several years ago on the Ryndam.  I'll look for pictures.

Prayers for many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Hump Day.

Stay safe.

• Like 29

7 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

We've got a winter storm warning.  A big bad storm is heading our way, ice pellets, freezing rain and lots of snow starting later today.  I hope the power stays on.

I also hope your power stays on and everyone is safe!.  Wish I could send some Texas sunshine and warmth your way.   

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion might appeal to me if I use chicken, DH says curry doesn’t agree with him.  Yesterday work became a bit hectic as a customer conversion didn’t go well.  I see lots of work over the next few days as we clean up the mess.  I may need a couple drinks if the day today.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.61f8c13f00ece79dbe8a11718b1aa499.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 16

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Dixie, and Debbie for today's thread.  I slept pretty well last night but only until about 3:15.  No idea what tonight will be like but not looking forward to it. 

Been to Djupivogur just once on the Elegant Explorer in 2011.  Visited Papey Island, a private island that was once a sheep ranch but the owners have all either died off or left, except for one person who visits in the summer months.

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Morning. Forgot to turn on the air purifier in our bedroom last night and woke up early all stuffed up. Tis the season for my allergies. Looks like another pretty day with temps in high seventies. We’ll go to church at noon to attend Ash Wednesday Services.

Like today’s quote and I would like to sample today’s Bordeaux.

I have enjoyed following all the World Cruise Blogs of cruisers on the Zuiderdam. Sounds like the Hal of old and the crew is making it an extra special experience.

Thank you Sandi for getting the Daily started. May all of you have a great Hump Day.

image.thumb.jpeg.95462224f6d7c45b7ced600356051f32.jpegimage.jpeg.fe0eff8d686555fcc7eaedc446fda2f9.jpegimage.jpeg.6ff6c5066a2051768253885ec4a0c4a8.jpegimage.jpeg.300374fef5de1c3f935efea71cde9ce2.jpegimage.jpeg.93a425187c4932d1312e98a532c448d5.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Haha 14

Thank you for getting us started, Sandi. I see that you were up super early this morning.  Rich, thank you for making it so easy for us to continue while you are enjoying the World!

Vanessa, thank you for making sure our lists include all our happenings!

It is a very foggy morning here this more, but once it burns off - it should be another gorgeous day. Today is paver cleaning day, Bindi walks, meeting with a local group that offers pre-paid cremation/burial services and then my HIIT. I also need to do a bit more prep for my out-of-town family.  I should sleep well tonight. 

CBFAD2D4-C110-44EE-9A64-745D9CFBA1CC.jpeg.735edfbb4ca49d2b7577e91e9c8e43cf.jpeg

86F654E7-08E7-4793-B6F2-C9F919742CC4.jpeg.e0d96a521a1b386a741e34f3c2b26946.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou, St.Julien, Bordeaux, France 2014

An amazing sounding Bordeaux blend that has a low critic score of 95! But those ratings come at a hefty price. A decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $194.89.

Winemaker Notes

Intense garnet red color. An elegant bouquet very Ducru-Beaucaillou! Cedar at the start then notes of black pepper with a hint of vanilla. With airing, it evolves towards subtle hints of fine spices and notes of black cherry. Gorgeous palate with a beautiful tannin grain and perfect harmony. A neat and polished wine with excellent definition. Great freshness. Amazing purity. A succulent wine, vibrant, brilliant, wonderfully balanced.

Blend: 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot

JS99 James Suckling
Fabulous aromas of crushed berries such as blackberries and blackcurrants, not to mention spices. Wet earth and cedar, too. Complex. Full-bodied, yet agile and complete. A dense center palate. Ultra-round tannins. Everything in the right balance. Wonderful to taste but better to drink in 2022.
D97 Decanter
We are now in the realm of truly young wines, and also in the realm of Ducru just totally hitting its stride and celebrating it potential. This is young and inky in colour, fresh with plenty of St Julien signature: real menthol freshness and cigar box seduction - great Cabernet flavours. This is barely getting going and is a wine that you want to know what happens next. Excellent stuff, spicy, powerful and juicy. 100% new oak.
WE96 Wine Enthusiast
This powerful wine has a superb mix of the crispest fruit and great structure. Blackberries and black currants shine through the tannins, expressing the liveliness of the vintage. It is so well delineated with everything in its place. The wine is certainly going to age for decades. Drink from 2027. 
Cellar Selection
JD96 Jeb Dunnuck
I just love the style of this estate and the 2014 Ducru-Beaucaillou is an undeniable success in the vintage. Made from 90% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Merlot brought up in 100% new French oak, it offers a deep purple color as well as both elegance and power in its crème de cassis, raspberries, cedarwood, graphite, and floral bouquet, with its background oak smothered in fruit. Possessing a classic elegance, full-bodied richness, sweet tannin, and stunning length, it one of the wines of the vintage and will drink nicely for another two to three decades.
RP95 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
Very deep garnet in color, the 2014 Ducru-Beaucaillou springs from the glass, offering vibrant notions of fresh black currants, black cherries and black raspberries with touches of spice box, licorice and fragrant soil plus a waft of lavender. Medium-bodied, the palate bursts with lively, crunchy black fruits, supported by ripe, grainy tannins and finishing on a lingering spicy note.
WS95 Wine Spectator
Opulent, with layers of warmed fig, boysenberry and blackberry confiture that loll along, yet are kept going by a terrific graphite note that is well-buried throughout. Alluring black tea, singed mesquite and bittersweet cocoa accents add to the panache. A head-turner. Best from 2020 through 2040.
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 6

Good afternoon.

I have just been to get my hair cut and it is raining and 5°C.

It was nice at the beach 2 hours ago.

Many thanks Sandi for supplying today's daily reports.

3 good days and an excellent quote.

Food sounds good.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell and hopefully Roy @rafinmd gets his monitor early.

Take care.

Graham 

IMG_20230222_102320.jpg

• Like 31

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia; more tests

Graham’s Sarah losing a close friend

Those in the path of snowstorms and ice

All our sleep deprived Dailyites

New earthquake in Turkey 2/20; 46,000+ deaths after Feb 3 earthquake

New Zealand affected by cyclone/flooding, with deaths and many missing people

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Scrapnana undergoing chemotherapy

Former President Jimmy Carter in home hospice care

Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Kochleffel feeling better

StLouisCruiser’s numbness improved

Luvteaching’s DH’s continued slow improvement

1 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment of the Seas 2/23 to 3/3)

3 days for RMLincoln family cruise (Rotterdam 2/25 to 3/8)

3 days for SusieKIslandGirl (Noordam 2/25 to 3/11) 

3 days for Cruisercl (NCL Bliss 2/25 to 3/12)

3 days for Mr. Boston (Celebrity Millennium 2/25 to 3/4)

ottahand7 and Lindaler (Volendam to 3/18), Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

Holly Jolly Punch:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Triple Sec Liqueur
2 parts Pinnacle® Original Vodka
3 parts Cranberry Juice
6 parts Ginger Ale
2 parts Frozen orange juice concentrate
Cinnamon Allspice
Nutmeg
Garnish: Orange slice
Cranberries

Instructions
Add ingredients to a punch bowl and stir. Slowly stir in orange juice concentrate as it melts. Add spices to taste, and garnish with orange slices and cranberries.

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 7.42.33 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Good morning, everyone.

I guess we are all ready for the big snow.  Schools are all closed in anticipation.  We got maybe an inch last night and the big stuff is supposed to start around noon.  I plan to fill up the car on the way to the gym and pedicure this morning as well.  

Today's meal looks yummy.   @Crazy For Cats Jake, I see no reason you couldn't substitute chicken for the shrimp.  The only problem would be that it wouldn't agree with Juan.  I think it sounds nice, smooth and creamy with a touch of a bite to it.  https://food.theffeed.com/2022/09/12/coconut-curry-shrimp-peas/

coconutcurryshrimp1.thumb.jpg.74ec6960c92e2e47e8305ec81e07cb49.jpg

Oh, I could eat that!   This next one includes potatoes in the curry.  And, if you're not into heat, leave out the chili powder.  https://www.sidechef.com/recipes/281/coconut_shrimp_curry_with_peas_and_potatoes/

coconutcurryshrimp2.jpg.cd63b74e0f147cc3499df3c959dca678.jpg

This recipe says if  you're not into peas, use whatever vegetable you do like.  And, if you don't want the rice, use whatever you do like.  Spaghetti squash?   https://peasandcrayons.com/2019/10/thai-coconut-shrimp-curry.html

coconutcurryshrimp3.thumb.jpg.1d91da63728e53e2b078d1df87399693.jpg

I hope all in the path of the storms this week stay safe.  For those traveling, safe travels and stay out of the path of the storms!  For those who aren't sleeping, relief.  For those who are ailing, better health.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13

13 minutes ago, dfish said:

Today's meal looks yummy.   @Crazy For Cats Jake, I see no reason you couldn't substitute chicken for the shrimp.

That does look good, and I like your idea of chicken substitution!  Thanks, much, for your Daily meal contributions.  When I first read the name of the meal in the Daily post, sometimes I think, not for me.  Then I see your photos and comments, and it changes my mind!  Thank you.

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 20

11 minutes ago, ocean sounds said:

@RedneckBob, way too early for math for me 😂.  

The quadratic equation popped in my head immediately as I read your post, but thinking of solving it - - - makes my head hurt.    I need coffee ️, LOTS of coffee.

Sorry to give you a headache. Think about the person who came up with that equation. I would like the medication that person was on! Use RNB famous quote about math, “When all else fails, use your abacus”.

• Like 12
  • Haha 7