Diamond Lounge and Concierge Questions

danny8826

17 hours ago, Cayman1 said:

Agreed! And we were reprimanded for coming in wearing nice shorts and flip flops. Between that, and the quantity of people, we are personally thankful for the vouchers instead.

Our "go to" bar is usually the VCL bar.  🙂 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, danny8826 said:

We would probably use one or two of the voucher in the main dining room during dinner.  Always nice to have a cocktail during dinner.  

Indeed it is.  On Jewel last month, our really good wait team in the MDR, would see us head to the table and was already bringing our glasses of wine.  🙂 Now that's service...and of course was rewarded each night with extra cash tips. 😉 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rusty_lock said:

Now that the vouchers are on the seapass card what is the draw at HH?  Are the appy's that good?

LOL...IMHO...no.  😄  Plus we have recently over the last couple of years (since MTD had become such a nightmare) switched to traditional early dining, don't need to fill up on the happy tisers.  

As I stated....I use the lounge for coffee in the morning only.  😉 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Cayman1 said:

Agreed! And we were reprimanded for coming in wearing nice shorts and flip flops. Between that, and the quantity of people, we are personally thankful for the vouchers instead.

Reprimanded for wearing shorts and flip flops? By whom?  That is what most people wear all day.  I've seen a lot worse. 

M

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Reprimanded for wearing shorts and flip flops? By whom?  That is what most people wear all day.  I've seen a lot worse. 

M

By the RC Concierge that works the Diamond Room. We would go before dinner and everyone would be all dressed up and we show up in nice shorts, polo shirt and flip flops... If my memory serves me right, it was the flip flops which she frowned upon the most. Keep in mind, this was our first experience with the Diamond Lounge too. So I have to dress up, fight a crowd to get a drink and be aggravated over a loyalty benefit? So we quit going.

Maybe it was just this particular Concierge.

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Indeed it is.  On Jewel last month, our really good wait team in the MDR, would see us head to the table and was already bringing our glasses of wine.  🙂 Now that's service...and of course was rewarded each night with extra cash tips. 😉 

With that kind of service, they definitely deserve it.  For us, we usually give them a BIG tip at the end if the service is super and it's good, we still give them tips too.  

1 hour ago, Cayman1 said:

By the RC Concierge that works the Diamond Room. We would go before dinner and everyone would be all dressed up and we show up in nice shorts, polo shirt and flip flops... If my memory serves me right, it was the flip flops which she frowned upon the most. Keep in mind, this was our first experience with the Diamond Lounge too. So I have to dress up, fight a crowd to get a drink and be aggravated over a loyalty benefit? So we quit going.

When we learn about the DL from people we met onboard, we didn't go during the day because we didn't know that it was open 24 hour.  We didn't even know about the coffee machine in there.  When we go inside the lounge, it's before dinner time so we are already decently dress I would say, but we weren't all dress up every night, only on formal night.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, danny8826 said:

With that kind of service, they definitely deserve it.  For us, we usually give them a BIG tip at the end if the service is super and it's good, we still give them tips too.  

We always do the prepaid gratuities.   Then with each meal, including breakfast, we tip a fiver.  Each drink, a buck a piece with our vouchers.  Cabin attendant always gets a cash tip in hand at the end of each week.  This last B2B2B, he got a kick out of me giving him some cash at the end of each week.  I called it "installment payments".  😄 

Hint:  It does make a difference when you tip along the way.  They have no idea if you are going to give them extra at the end. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, danny8826 said:

We would probably use one or two of the voucher in the main dining room during dinner.  Always nice to have a cocktail during dinner.  

I recommend getting a drink at a bar before hand and bringing it with you as I personally think the drink service in the main dining room is slow as molasses. And don’t forget, you can each bring a bottle of wine on board, too. We like to ask our room steward to supply us with wine glasses each evening so we have that option as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cayman1 said:

No, you are correct! The Diamond concierge literally used to do this!  I know because my husband was asked to go and change when he was wearing shorts. Of course, that was quite a while ago. They used to not allow children in there either. When we first became Diamond we took my son in there who was maybe 6 and a well behaved little fellow and were told he’s not allowed in the Diamond Lounge. I think this was on Indy, so the concierge allowed us in to get the appetizers and order drinks and then directed us to that little adjacent outside area to sit and await our drinks. Kinda made me feel like a second class citizen, but those were the rules at the time. And I’m sure this opens up a whole other can of worms in regards to children in the Diamond Lounge, 😂

Thank you.  On our next cruise, we will be on the Odyssey of the Seas doing the Transatlantic crossing and definitely hope to enjoy the DL a bit more

My husband and I are Diamond Level and the only time we found diamond lounge to be a mob scene was on our one Transatlantic cruise we took pre-pandemic.  Apparently the majority of TA cruisers are at Diamond level. An aside....back then, you could have all the free drinks you wanted while the lounge was open, plus tons of appetizers and other goodies, all of which most of the passengers were taking full advantage.  I imagine RC had to have lost money on that cruise.

40 minutes ago, island lady said:

We always do the prepaid gratuities.   Then with each meal, including breakfast, we tip a fiver.  Each drink, a buck a piece with our vouchers.  Cabin attendant always gets a cash tip in hand at the end of each week.  This last B2B2B, he got a kick out of me giving him some cash at the end of each week.  I called it "installment payments".  😄 

Hint:  It does make a difference when you tip along the way.  They have no idea if you are going to give them extra at the end. 

We gave 3 big envelope with some writing outside at the end of the cruise.  If it's a Christmas cruise, we will bring lots of chocolate and small gift wrap and make a bag for each of them.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

I recommend getting a drink at a bar before hand and bringing it with you as I personally think the drink service in the main dining room is slow as molasses. And don’t forget, you can each bring a bottle of wine on board, too. We like to ask our room steward to supply us with wine glasses each evening so we have that option as well.

Thank you. 🙂

• Like 1

To add insult to injury, we all dressed up in reindeer onesies for Christmas Eve, which happened to be a formal night as well. We ran into this particular concierge in the atrium area, and she wanted to take a picture with us and asked why we didn't do to the Diamond Lounge that evening.. I simply replied because we were not dressed appropriately in our festive outfits, plus we were wearing flip flops. Her reply... well you should have come anyways. LOL

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cayman1 said:

To add insult to injury, we all dressed up in reindeer onesies for Christmas Eve, which happened to be a formal night as well. We ran into this particular concierge in the atrium area, and she wanted to take a picture with us and asked why we didn't do to the Diamond Lounge that evening.. I simply replied because we were not dressed appropriately in our festive outfits, plus we were wearing flip flops. Her reply... well you should have come anyways. LOL

If the concierge doesn't mind/care, you shouldn't either.  I tell you...some of those people in that lounge are snobs.  They think they are all that.  I would care less for those.  My motto is if you are nice to me, I will be extra nice to you, but if you are not so mean, then expect the same and more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, danny8826 said:

If the concierge doesn't mind/care, you shouldn't either.  I tell you...some of those people in that lounge are snobs.  They think they are all that.  I would care less for those.  My motto is if you are nice to me, I will be extra nice to you, but if you are not so mean, then expect the same and more.

But the concierge was the one who told us previously that we couldn't wear flip flops or shorts. But then the next day we would have been allowed to wear a onesie and flip flops. Head scratcher for sure.

Agreed. My wife said the same thing and stated that she has no desire to go in there.

33 minutes ago, danny8826 said:

Yeah, they do get pretty clicky.  Adds to one of the reasons we don't go in there.  Don't like the politics and attitude they have sometimes.  

The looks I get, wearing that "annoying little gold pin" when I (just for fun) walk into the DL during happy hour.  Naturally I don't stay, I just walk in  a circle, say hello to the DL concierge, and then leave.  Looks on their faces as I leave...priceless.  😄  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, danny8826 said:

So can we wear shorts and t-shirts to during the day to the Diamond Lounge to get a cup of coffee or do we need to dress up as well?

Yes, you can wear shorts and t-shirts to the D lounge.  As far as I know all day, any day.   I see lots worse.  

M

• Like 2