The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday February 24th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It is 66F again this morning, and will be cloudy today, a chance of showers and a high of 74.  Similar to yesterday but we had more sun yesterday.  I'm feeling very little soreness from my exercise with the weight machines at the gym yesterday.  Maybe I'll go again tomorrow.  

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report content today.  Which brings to mind Roy @rafinmdwho I hope had a good night's rest.  For myself, I remember waking up at 11:30 (flight arrival time), 12:30, 3 am, and 4 am.  Maybe I got some sleep in between so that is worthwhile but a ridiculous sleep pattern!

Today is National Tortilla Chip Day which I like a lot.  We eat way too many chips but it doesn't seem to have affected us any so will continue that I'm sure.  Also Paczki Day in Poland, and World Bartender Day.  Hurray for Paczkis which everyone was celebrating here on Tuesday, weren't we?  Also I salute the bartenders because I would be terrible at that job.  Love the funny quote from Abraham Lincoln, say no to the halibut and chardonnay, and whoa to the Paloma.  I read they are quite strong.  

Prayers today for our Care list people, also the trouble spots in Ukraine, Turkey, Syria, New Zealand, and let's not forget the people of East Palestine, Ohio who have dealt with so much worry and possible health troubles for the past three weeks.  You wouldn't want what they had happen to them in your town.  🙏  Congratulations to all on the Celebration list who are cruising, preparing to cruise and for any other accomplishments in your lives.  🥂  Special thoughts go out to Annie @marshhawk, Chuck and Neko.🙏

Our port today is the ever popular Reykjavik, Iceland.  We had it posted here by Rich on May 19, 2021 and Dec. 3, 2022.  Here are the links to those dates so you can retrieve your photos.  I'll post mine right afterward.  

Reykjavik is a fine city to visit.  Our first visit there was on Emerald Princess in 2011, second visit was on Caribbean Princess in 2015, third visit was on Seabourn Quest in 2018, last visit was on the Covid cruise Island Princess in June 2022.  On the 2018 Quest cruise we actually started our cruise in Reykjavik so flew over a day early to spend the night there.  That made the stay there a little more interesting because we had more time.  We have also flown through Reykjavik several times on our way to Europe.  On the 2018 flight to Reykjavik from Boston we had a TV news personality and his family on the flight with us.  DH spoke to him while they waited for luggage to show up at the carousel.  After hearing our cruise plans, he said he wished he was going on our cruise with us, but he didn't have that amount of time off, so they were going fishing there in Iceland.

For those who haven't been to Iceland yet, one of the best tours you can take is a Circle Iceland tour.  Sometimes they call it Golden Circle tour and other times Grand Circle tour.  The point is they take you outside of Reykjavik to see the geysers, waterfalls, and volcano site.  You will probably also see the Icelandic horses in the countryside.  They take you quite a distance on these tours so it will take a long day in port to achieve it.  We took a private tour with CC roll call members our first time in Iceland.  I recommend it for a good overall look.

A photo of the famous Hallgrimskirkja church which I took in 2018.  The weather was perfect for our overnight visit so we saw pretty blue skies which made all our photos better.  You must see this church when you visit Reykjavik! enhance

enhance

Another place that Reykjavik is famous for is the Blue Lagoon.  I have never had an interest in going there in the past, but if I continue to visit this city I have a feeling I will end up there someday.  I might even find I like it!  

A typical street scene.  enhance

The second stop on the Golden Circle tour was the Pearl, a dome with stunning views of the city from the panoramic 360 degree platform.  The dome sits atop the huge tanks in which natural hot water is stored for heating the city.  Inside is a rotating restaurant, a cafe and a museum.  At least it did in 2011 when we visited there.enhance

enhance

enhance

Driving around the island you saw scenery like this.enhance

We stopped to see the tectonic plates which divide Europe from North America.  At least I think that's what they told us.  This would be a good thing to do some research on when I have nothing else to do.  Right...enhance

enhance

Heading towards the geyser areas we saw scenery like this.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Then to the Gullfoss waterfall.enhance

enhance

Then we drove to another waterfall, name unknown but I did take a photo of this sign just before we arrived so it could be a clue.enhance

enhance

Last stop was to see this volcanic cauldron.enhance

Before we got to the cauldron we were looking at some Icelandic horses in the fields.  In their native country they have few diseases; Icelandic law prevents horses from being imported into the country and exported animals are not allowed to return.  This is a poor photo of them but we had an accident with a farm dog who ran into the road and had to stop and see to him.  The horses were forgotten at that point.  enhance

A photo taken in 2015 which I've never repeated on my trips there.  Maybe this street no longer has the rainbow on it.  It's a heavily traveled street with lots of shops on it and as you can see, at the top of the hill is the Hallgrimskirkja church.enhance

On the 2015 visit DH was under the weather that day so I walked all over town by myself.  I took my umbrella along and at the end it started to pour rain.  Lucky I had it as I walked back to the bus shuttle area to get back to the ship.

I took this photo of this waterside sculpture on that rainy day.  Note the rainbow starting behind it.enhance

And here it is in 2018.  enhance

During the beautiful weather in 2018 we visited a small botanical park in town.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

ahh, the flowers!enhance

enhance

For dinner we went to a restaurant for pizza and a bottle of wine.  Cost was about $70USD.  Not a cheap place to visit but they take credit cards so you don't have to have local currency.enhance

Well now that I see that yummy pizza I'd better get downstairs and get on that treadmill for my 2.5 mile walk.  Hope everyone has a great Friday and beginning of their weekend.  Also hope the snow isn't too deep in Jacqui's @kazu hometown today.  I saw last night it was in that general area.  Take care and stay safe!

How did you get a picture of me next to that geyser? 😀

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

As so often happens after a storm we have a beautiful sunshiny sky this morning. It is chilly, just below freezing so not too terrible. Waiting to hear chain saws starting up to clear the debris from yesterdays ice. 

prayers for those that need them and will have a celebratory drink later for the good news. Always a great way to start the day on the daily. It was so weird yesterday not to be able to log on first thing.

• Like 24

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Tortilla chips, yum (will be substituting them for the corn nuts), woo hoo for all the bartenders on BHB’s, and as a child, I knew Paczki’s as jam busters at the bakery.

A bit of an issue this morning - at 5:05, our smoke detector began telling us it was time to change the battery.  Why is it they always go off like that in the middle of the night?  I’ve never had one chirp at me during the day.  I endured it for about 15 minutes, then got up to deal with it.  The moment I got out of bed I knew something was wrong - our bedroom was C O L D.  I checked the thermostat and despite it being set to start heating up to 21C, the house temp was only 15C(59F).  Of course we know nothing about furnaces, but I did get DH up to share the cold, and he went down and banged around, but of course, nothing happened.

We currently have electric heaters (thank goodness we have a bunch of them) going in several rooms, as well as having the gas fireplaces (both on the main floor and lower level) going at full blast.  I spoke with the company we’ve dealt with for several years for our heating/cooling issues, and they said we should likely see one of their fellows at the door within the hour.  

I’m still working on my iPad mini — we checked in at Staples yesterday and found that the tech who works on computers in the store had called in sick.  It looks like we might not have our new computer until Monday, as I don’t think they have anyone working in the tech department on the weekend.  Grrr.

I’m sending @marshhawkcomforting hugs as she and DH take Neko to the vet to transition over the Rainbow Bridge.

@RMLincolnI hope all your family arrives safely so you can enjoy your cruise together!

I’m sure I’d love today’s drink of the day, as I love grapefruit.  I’ll pass on the wine, and we frequently have salmon, but it’s Friday, so that means pizza will be on the table in the kitchen tonight.  And wine.

Time for me to get some hot tea into me, but we’ll send prayers for all who are in need, particularly the people of Ukraine who have been so stoic this past year.  Cheers to al with celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.

It is a cold one here today in mid-Michigan.  The expected high is 23F.  It is currently 9F.  We'll warm up to the 30s or 40s starting on Saturday.  

I'm planning to finish the bathroom today.  Bathrooms are a royal pain to paint, but this messy painter will persevere.  It is already an improvement, so I'll be happy with it.  

Today's meal is a good one.  I love halibut.  It is good enough that all you need to do is put it on the grill and serve some veggies to go with it.  The first recipe comes from Bon Appetit, but they keep wanting money from me to see the full recipe.  Pinterest had the ingredient list and I don't think it is too hard to figure out what to do with it.  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/125749014579100600/

halibutandsummersquash2.jpg.d4537304b1ee1208f43e6f3884c98285.jpg

That looks really good to me!

Next up we have one that omits the pumpkin seeds, but sounds really good.  https://lukeslobster.com/blogs/recipes/baked-halibut-with-summer-squash

halibutandsummersquash1.thumb.jpg.b7ac4335dbfd6b311c1d203671f94b5d.jpg

Mmmm.   I may try this one.  

Last up is halibut encrusted with pumpkin seeds.  There was no picture included, but I found a picture of tilapia encrusted with pumpkin seeds.  You can really use any fish you like and can use walnuts or pecans in place of pumpkin seeds.  https://lukeslobster.com/blogs/recipes/baked-halibut-with-summer-squash

halibutandsummersquash3.thumb.jpg.7f60228e11e3833b1a59ad2093fbc684.jpg

That looks pretty darn good!

@rafinmd Roy, if today is your birthday, Happy Birthday!  

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.d233073b7a11036fcad8f0570879849b.jpg

And for @RMLincoln Maureen and family:

BonVoyage2.thumb.jpg.abf9bf88a551a26d403d66fcb532349f.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from sunny, cold southwestern Ontario. Alexa says it's snowing, but it is not. The temperature never warmed up past 0ºC yesterday, so the driveway is still icy. Penguin walking to get the blue boxes and garbage bin.

Prayers for those that need them, cheers for those celebrating (Happy Birthday Roy), and hugs for all.

• Like 23

A very Happy Birthday to Roy @rafinmd!

@marshhawk, Annie and Chuck, thinking of you on this sad day as you say goodbye to Neko.

It is windy and cool but expected to be in the mid forties today. We all like halibut here and use a recipe with a mixture of mayo,mustard and Worcestershire sauce  that is baked in the oven.  We have been to Iceland but not the capital. I was still working when we went on the VOV and could only take the first seventeen days off. As it was, my coworkers were not thrilled with that many vacation days in a row going to me.

Be careful in the ice and snow today. We have only had a trace amount of snow this winter here and I don’t miss driving. And walking in the slippery stuff.

• Like 23

Today is not my birthday.  DB was born on Flag Day (14 June) and died Valentines Day 2021, exactly 4 months shirt if his 80th birthday (and Valentines Day is mostly spoiled in my family).  I was born 23 June so yesterday I was exactly 4 months short of my 80th birthday, and today I am older than that now.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 18

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Friday morning.   We are at sea today and I am going to get caught up with my photos.  Thanks Sandi and Vanessa for getting us started with the reports. @JazzyVso sorry for your BFF'S loss.   Thanks for the wine, cocktail and recipes each day.  Back to reality in less than a month so I will need those to bump up our hum drum eating at home after having such good food for months.  

Sandi @StLouisCruisers weren't you the one who relayed the water issues on the Volendam in the Amazon?  Like reduced water usage and no laundry?  We want to be prepared but if it was due to a broken part we won't worry that it will happen again.    Thank you for the photos of today's port.  They were beautiful!

Power remained on at home but from the outage map my siblings are still out. Can't text with them today.  

Our Cultural Olinda HA tour took us to beautiful spots but was way too long.  4 hours turned into 5 so no lunch for us.  Too much talking by our guide and some extra walking due to Carnival tear down.  I am glad we have nothing to do in Fortaleza.   

Another great dinner in the MDR last night ( panko crusted Hake and beef tri tip) and some photos of Olinda and old Recife. 

IMG_20230223_172929591.jpg

IMG_20230223_172921751.jpg

IMG_20230223_105009485_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230223_105259896_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230223_110541108_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230223_120524709_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230223_121136951_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230223_121340879.jpg

Nancy, when we were in the Amazon region the river levels were very low, so that restricted our time sailing to daylight hours near Manaus.  Also they did recommend we use water sparingly and restricted some laundry according to DH who remembers better than I.  Apparently they couldn't take on water like they usually do at sea, because the Amazon water was so muddy and would clog filters.  They could take water on in port still but that wasn't always an option.  I'd plan on not having laundry done while on the river.

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Tortilla chips, yum (will be substituting them for the corn nuts), woo hoo for all the bartenders on BHB’s, and as a child, I knew Paczki’s as jam busters at the bakery.

A bit of an issue this morning - at 5:05, our smoke detector began telling us it was time to change the battery.  Why is it they always go off like that in the middle of the night?  I’ve never had one chirp at me during the day.  I endured it for about 15 minutes, then got up to deal with it.  The moment I got out of bed I knew something was wrong - our bedroom was C O L D.  I checked the thermostat and despite it being set to start heating up to 21C, the house temp was only 15C(59F).  Of course we know nothing about furnaces, but I did get DH up to share the cold, and he went down and banged around, but of course, nothing happened.

We currently have electric heaters (thank goodness we have a bunch of them) going in several rooms, as well as having the gas fireplaces (both on the main floor and lower level) going at full blast.  I spoke with the company we’ve dealt with for several years for our heating/cooling issues, and they said we should likely see one of their fellows at the door within the hour.  

I’m still working on my iPad mini — we checked in at Staples yesterday and found that the tech who works on computers in the store had called in sick.  It looks like we might not have our new computer until Monday, as I don’t think they have anyone working in the tech department on the weekend.  Grrr.

I’m sending @marshhawkcomforting hugs as she and DH take Neko to the vet to transition over the Rainbow Bridge.

@RMLincolnI hope all your family arrives safely so you can enjoy your cruise together!

I’m sure I’d love today’s drink of the day, as I love grapefruit.  I’ll pass on the wine, and we frequently have salmon, but it’s Friday, so that means pizza will be on the table in the kitchen tonight.  And wine.

Time for me to get some hot tea into me, but we’ll send prayers for all who are in need, particularly the people of Ukraine who have been so stoic this past year.  Cheers to al with celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I really hope that technician comes quickly and gets your heat going, Gerry!  Of all people to have furnace problems!  Sorry you can't get that new computer yet.  How dare that Staples guy be sick today?

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today is not my birthday.  DB was born on Flag Day (14 June) and died Valentines Day 2021, exactly 4 months shirt if his 80th birthday (and Valentines Day is mostly spoiled in my family).  I was born 23 June so yesterday I was exactly 4 months short of my 80th birthday, and today I am older than that now.

Roy

I knew as a former actuary that dates and exact numbers are important to you, so had a feeling that was what you conveyed in your earlier message today.  But just think, everyone has an early start on celebrating your birthday, Roy!!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Well, just hold all those birthday wishes until June, Roy. And now I have marked my calendar, so I can’t imagine it again.

I had even had two cups of coffee, too!

• Like 18
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today is not my birthday.  DB was born on Flag Day (14 June) and died Valentines Day 2021, exactly 4 months shirt if his 80th birthday (and Valentines Day is mostly spoiled in my family).  I was born 23 June so yesterday I was exactly 4 months short of my 80th birthday, and today I am older than 

I need more coffee too.We will wait until June for birthday  wishes.

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Today is all our gathering family’s flights’ day.  The early ones were canceled out of NY/White Plains. No plane. They just got rebooked through Boston to arrive FLL this evening. Hoping it all works. This is why we’re driving, too much uncertainty in flying. Two more sets of family flights to still happen. Thanks for all your caring prayers, feeling them for sure! 

Hope that works.  I've gone to extremes to avoid flying out of Baltimore for big cruises.  In 2016 I had a major cruise on Crystal Symphony (Buenos Aires-Antarctica and up the South America West Coast to Miami.  Rather than flying from Baltimore in mid-winter I went to New York 1/1 and boarded QM2 to Southampton, then transferred to Queen Victoria to Fort Lauderdale and flew a nonstop out of Miami,  The day I would have flown from Baltimore got hit with 3 feet of snow, closing things down for a week.  The only sign I saw of the storm was massive rebooking lines at Miami airport,

A year later I had another itinerary out of Buenos Aires, cruises out of Buenos Aires on Crystal Serenity and Zaandam.  I did fly that time but did it 2 weeks early, with a cruise on Koningsdam in between.  I was willing to take a chance on missing the Koningsdam but not the 2 out of Buenos Aires,  That one came off without a hitch.

Roy

• Like 23

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

There is a Dairy Queen in your area of Canada? I guess I can have a blizzard in Florida today. At 90 degrees!

Oh yes, there is a Dairy Queen quite close by 😜 

@ger_77BRRR - I hope they get your het fixed FAST!

@RMLincoln Bon Voyage!

12C84AE3-02F5-413F-B9B0-63BDFA7E3BF0.gif.09ae0429dfab284f3ec9def2e9bf09c2.gif

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I'm relatively new to this board, so I haven't posted on the daily fleet report before.  Searching through the live cams, I came upon a great live video of the Nieuw Statendam at Port Nassau.  We will be cruising on her in late November for a transatlantic from Rome to Fort Lauderdale. This will be the first cruise after her first dry dock.   Here is the link and snapshot:

https://www.portnassauwebcam.com

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 8.15.55 AM.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all,

We’re entering the predicted strongest day of the storm here. We’re expecting 2” of rain. We’ve had short bouts of small hail and the sunny, cloud filled spectacular skies. Wishing I could have another Paczki- I’ve rather fallen for them. Today is house cleaning day, and am ready to start a crock pot of chili con carne. Have first acupuncture appointment for an ongoing foot issue, and will start making crepe paper flowers for a going away party for a friend in a month.

@marshhawk Thinking of you.

624E585D-2DC6-4C9C-81A1-25ABDCEB5676.jpeg.a028e86c0281d705d2d3e0259a81952b.jpeg

@dfish I’m loving the presentation of this one and it’s added to my planner to try.

3503F3C9-52DC-4D64-8585-BA33509AA3D7.jpeg.9c8b47489a32759ec4e86016048dada3.jpeg

Whoa- that’s some hill!

@TAW1963 Welcome aboard!

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TAW1963 said:

I'm relatively new to this board, so I haven't posted on the daily fleet report before.  Searching through the live cams, I came upon a great live video of the Nieuw Statendam at Port Nassau.  We will be cruising on her in late November for a transatlantic from Rome to Fort Lauderdale. This will be the first cruise after her first dry dock.   Here is the link and snapshot:

https://www.portnassauwebcam.com

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 8.15.55 AM.png

Welcome to posting on the Daily and Fleet Report.  That's a great photo from the webcam in Nassau, and it 's such a beautiful day obviously.  Appreciate the heads up.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Welcome to posting on the Daily and Fleet Report.  That's a great photo from the webcam in Nassau, and it 's such a beautiful day obviously.  Appreciate the heads up.

Thank you so much!  I really appreciate all the time many of the regulars on here spend to give us such a wonderful update every day.  I check it every morning.  

• Like 22

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, I hope the repairman gets there soon.  Today is not a day to be without heat for long.  It was -13F here this morning, and it is only up to -8F now.  Hope they can fix it soon for you.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1