NCL lied to us, any suggestions?

archer77

I am going to keep this short, there were numerous relatively minor issues on the recent NCL Getaway cruise leaving NY on Feb 6 (shortened port stays, and one port cancellation, mediocre service at times, our room was not very clean, and lots of small things that were evident corner cutting). Most of these things would have been generally tolerable EXCEPT for the fact that our flight was cancelled right before connecting with our cruise (Not NCLs fault) but the NCL representative told us to book to the next port of call (which we did) and submit receipts for reimbursement after the cruise. AND NOW THEY ARE REFUSING TO HONOR THE AGREEMENT. I can handle a lot, but being lied to is a deal breaker. 

I am getting stonewalled by their customer service via email (there is no post cruise customer service phone line, once they have your money they couldn't care less). Any suggestions on where to turn from here? 

3 minutes ago, archer77 said:

I am going to keep this short, there were numerous relatively minor issues on the recent NCL Getaway cruise leaving NY on Feb 6 (shortened port stays, and one port cancellation, mediocre service at times, our room was not very clean, and lots of small things that were evident corner cutting). Most of these things would have been generally tolerable EXCEPT for the fact that our flight was cancelled right before connecting with our cruise (Not NCLs fault) but the NCL representative told us to book to the next port of call (which we did) and submit receipts for reimbursement after the cruise. AND NOW THEY ARE REFUSING TO HONOR THE AGREEMENT. I can handle a lot, but being lied to is a deal breaker. 

I am getting stonewalled by their customer service via email (there is no post cruise customer service phone line, once they have your money they couldn't care less). Any suggestions on where to turn from here? 

Was this through NCL air?

13 minutes ago, archer77 said:

Yes, did you book through NCL Air or or purchase travel insurance?

22 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Highly unusual that NCL would agree to reimburse expenses due to airline cancellation. Something is missing here.

I believe the info that comes with the flight info says it's the airline's responsibility if the cancellation is within 48 hours. NCL will assist with necessary arrangements to let you board at the next port, but at your expense.

Telling a person to save receipts doesn't necessarily translate to NCL will reimburse, it's just good advice and would be necessary for an insurance claim.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, archer77 said:

Hope you cut the DSC for poor service which is the one thing we as guests control. If you use a TA get them involved 

Heard about this from a youtube channel recently. NBC I guess had gotten engaged in the investigation before they got any resolution after like 6 months.

Good luck and I would make sure to try and reach out as well through ways that can be tracked and recorded like email or something in addition to calling.

10 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Found it, it was Don that talked about it:

The reason you book air through NCL is because it’s usually much cheaper, not because they guarantee you will make it to the ship. Otherwise, instead of buy one get one free, book your own flights and get insurance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

I believe the info that comes with the flight info says it's the airline's responsibility if the cancellation is within 48 hours. NCL will assist with necessary arrangements to let you board at the next port, but at your expense.

Telling a person to save receipts doesn't necessarily translate to NCL will reimburse, it's just good advice and would be necessary for an insurance claim.

Correction, it's 72 hours.

3 hours ago, archer77 said:

Don't know how things work north of the border, but here in the US, we have small claims courts in very county where one can without an attorney bring suit for generally up to $5,000 against a person or a corporation for loss of money, failure to fulfill promises etc. It will cost NCL more in attorney fees Corporations can not represent themselves but must have an attorney unlike individuals) to have one file the necessary court papers and attend a court session than it will be to simply pay you. Also if they lose in court it sets a precedent that other similarly aggrieved people can file similar claims. Settling keps the matter on a one to one basis.

1 minute ago, Lakesregion said:

Don't know how things work north of the border, but here in the US, we have small claims courts in very county where one can without an attorney bring suit for generally up to $5,000 against a person or a corporation for loss of money, failure to fulfill promises etc. It will cost NCL more in attorney fees Corporations can not represent themselves but must have an attorney unlike individuals) to have one file the necessary court papers and attend a court session than it will be to simply pay you. Also if they lose in court it sets a precedent that other similarly aggrieved people can file similar claims. Settling keps the matter on a one to one basis.

I’d be shocked if the cruise contract doesn’t prevent this type of claim.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, archer77 said:

It sounds like a misunderstanding on your part.

There should be no (none, zero) expectation that NCL would pay for a flight change because of an airline issue.

I think that the agent was telling you to collect receipts and submit them to your insurance company for reimbursement.  

NCL accommodated you joining the cruise late without further compensation. The alternative would be no-show/cancellation in which case you would lose your cruise fare. 

You, unfortunately, didn't understand what you were being told. And, again, your expectation that NCL should pay you for an airline problem is not reasonable. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Denversail said:

The courts do not look at the contracts unless an attorney from NCL brings it to their attention with a motion to dismiss. That costs money, Time and bad press. Large corporations generally find it easier to settle quickly and quietly.

43 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Of course, stick it to the staff for changed ports and being understaffed.

Read what she said room and cleaning issues. Should one pay for service not getting ready regardless of who might play a part?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

The courts do not look at the contracts unless an attorney from NCL brings it to their attention with a motion to dismiss. That costs money, Time and bad press. Large corporations generally find it easier to settle quickly and quietly.

Literally even Judge Judy would ask to see the contract in a case like this. 

1 hour ago, Denversail said:

I am sure it does probably stating the only jurisdiction in which you can bring a suit, one that is convenient to them and probably not for you. 

2 hours ago, sansroof said:

Literally even Judge Judy would ask to see the contract in a case like this. 

But not until the defendant NCL answers the complain and files a motion. Not before. But I only make a suggestion Not as an attorney but as someone who has experience with such courts in my business life.