Tendering in Alaska

islandchick

I have purchased a July 9 2023 Viking Orion cruise. The initial documents show that every port is a tender port and that the times in port are quite short compared to what I am used to on other cruise lines. I honestly can't remember seeing any cruise ships tendered in Alaska except at Icy straight.  Has anyone been on this itinerary recently that can tell me if this is actually true or will be updated closer to sailing?

You can check the schedules for each port here:

https://claalaska.com/?page_id=1250

It's a two step process.  Download the Berth code sheet first.  Then go to each port and download those schedules.  In each schedule look at the day you will be there and get the berth code then look it up in the berth code list.  You can figure out whether you are docked or tendering.  For example the Juneau schedule shows that you will be docked.

These schedules are set up each year between the local authority and all cruise lines.  HOWEVER, things change, like the rockslide in Skagway last year and schedules are not cast in concrete.

When I was on this cruise several years ago, the Viking invoice said we would tender at most of the ports but we docked at every one.

Maybe someone with more experience in Alaska can chime in on how reliable these schedules are.

Edited by dd57
update
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, islandchick said:

I have purchased a July 9 2023 Viking Orion cruise. The initial documents show that every port is a tender port and that the times in port are quite short compared to what I am used to on other cruise lines. I honestly can't remember seeing any cruise ships tendered in Alaska except at Icy straight.  Has anyone been on this itinerary recently that can tell me if this is actually true or will be updated closer to sailing?

I have tendered in Sitka, back in the days before they had a berth. I have also seen tendering in Ketchikan and Juneau, when the number of ships exceed the number of berths. 

In Skagway, I haven't followed the repairs to the Railway/Princess Dock (closest to the mountain), so if that berth isn't operational they may require tendering.

• Like 1

Did Orion in June 2022 Vancouver to Seward. There was not enough dock space during the day in Vancouver so Orion was anchored out in the harbor until 6:00pm when all 3 larger ships left the dock area then Orion moved into port and we boarded. The only problem is that we’re spent the whole next day in the harbor as one of the cables on a lifeboat had to be replaced since it broke the day before. As a result we missed Sitka and there was no tendered ports for the rest of the cruise. 

1 hour ago, sabrefan said:

Did Orion in June 2022 Vancouver to Seward. There was not enough dock space during the day in Vancouver so Orion was anchored out in the harbor until 6:00pm when all 3 larger ships left the dock area then Orion moved into port and we boarded. The only problem is that we’re spent the whole next day in the harbor as one of the cables on a lifeboat had to be replaced since it broke the day before. As a result we missed Sitka and there was no tendered ports for the rest of the cruise. 

That exact situation happened on the very first Alaskan cruise back in May 2019. But how sad that you also had to spend the next day at harbour as well. Jolly lucky there was space for you that day I guess. 

On 2/28/2023 at 6:50 AM, Heidi13 said:

I have tendered in Sitka, back in the days before they had a berth. I have also seen tendering in Ketchikan and Juneau, when the number of ships exceed the number of berths. 

In Skagway, I haven't followed the repairs to the Railway/Princess Dock (closest to the mountain), so if that berth isn't operational they may require tendering.

Am going in May. They’ve canceled Skagway because of the rockslide so we’re going to Haines instead,  

We are docking in all ports.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, travelbug11 said:

Am going in May. They’ve canceled Skagway because of the rockslide so we’re going to Haines instead,  

We are docking in all ports.

In my opinion Haines is a better port than Skagway.  However this is based on being  in Haines off a small ship and being the only ship in town.  Not sure how it would be if Haines was hit with several larger ships although I doubt if a Genormous of the Seas type ship would dock there.  I really like the place,

DON

• Like 2

5 hours ago, duquephart said:

Skagway has a high end jewelry store every three or four doors - all owned by the cruise lines. Very high pressure - they will all but drag you in by your hair. 

The only safe place is at the bar in the Red Onion....🍺

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Ah yes. Did you do any "tucking" while there?

Nope, I usually behave fairly well when DW is with me.  Works out better in the long run.  Had pizza and beers and bought the T shirt.  Prep for a helicopter ride...🍺