Comfortable Shoes

shari1737

On 2/28/2023 at 4:27 PM, aspencreek said:

Hoka Cliftons.  Started wearing Hoka shoes a few years back after getting some foot pain and now wear them almost exclusively for long walks, exercising, Disney trips, etc.  

Hoka's are my go to for trail walking and hiking. Mine are pretty beat up but still so comfortable. I'd have to get a new pair for city walking.

11 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

Wearing sandals, sneakers, tennis shoes, or like make no sense.  They provide you with no support, little to no cushioning, and give limited protection to your  feet.

Have to disagree with you there. I hike regularly and, except in winter, never wear boots.

Now I don't hike 30 miles at a time but I comfortably go 12 to 15 miles (depending on terrain) several times a month.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Have to disagree with you there. I hike regularly and, except in winter, never wear boots.

Now I don't hike 30 miles at a time but I comfortably go 12 to 15 miles (depending on terrain) several times a month.

And that is fine.  Reasonable people will disagree.  I simply provided my view. It is all good.

On 2/28/2023 at 7:21 AM, shari1737 said:

At home, I usually go barefoot. LOL  At work, I don't walk much so comfortable shoes isn't an issue.  When I do walk for exercise, I wear tennis shoes.  I was hoping someone would recommend a comfortable sandal.

My feet and shoes are a huge problem.  But I find that Clark's makes shoes that are comfy.  Lots of styles and colors to choose.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 3:31 AM, pdmlynek said:

Hiking boots or light hikers. Preferably boots, which will support your ankles, but light hikering shoes will do fine.  You can walk for 30 miles, and your legs are going to give out before you feel your hiking boots to be uncomfortable.

Wearing sandals, sneakers, tennis shoes, or like make no sense.  They provide you with no support, little to no cushioning, and give limited protection to your  feet.

Well, many of us cannot wear hiking boots or closed shoes at all.  We go through lots of different footwear to find something  that doesn't cause us pain.  We have to deal with what works for us, no matter the support, cushioning or protection.  I'm always gazing longingly at women in 'cute shoes', since I am never wearing cute shoes!

38 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Well, many of us cannot wear hiking boots or closed shoes at all.  We go through lots of different footwear to find something  that doesn't cause us pain.  We have to deal with what works for us, no matter the support, cushioning or protection.  I'm always gazing longingly at women in 'cute shoes', since I am never wearing cute shoes!

Yes, I  understand that some people can't wear the same types of shoes than others. But to me, hiking shoes or hiking boots are the correct answer to the original query.  If your footwear of choice is Clark Shoes, then that's fine.  The original poster can choose among the answers that she received.  🙂 

I have never owned a pair of hiking boots in my life.......so no, I would not put them in the necessary walking shoe category either.  I don't hike and bringing boots with me on a cruise is not something that would ever be in my wheelhouse. 

There are plenty of shoes on the market that have very good to excellent arch support and comfort and cushioning too. 

@shari1737, have you ever tried TAOS? I have multiple pairs of their sandals and love them🙂

I wore these when I went to Alaska last summer.....they are called Bzees......they have wonderful cushioning and arch support too.

Bzees Game Plan Slip-on Sneaker In Navy Fabric

I usually buy Sketchers from Amazon, a half size bigger than my true size, and then use a separate insole and/or something in the toe (makeup wedges, usually) to make them fit better.  When traveling, often my feet will get a little puffy and if that happens I can remove the excess stuff.  I hate tight-fitting shoes.  Maybe silly, but FWIW ...

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 2:27 PM, aspencreek said:

Hoka Cliftons.  Started wearing Hoka shoes a few years back after getting some foot pain and now wear them almost exclusively for long walks, exercising, Disney trips, etc.  

I wear orthotics built from a cast of my feet at the podiatrist office.  I don't use them with the Hokas.   But Hokas aren't for everyone.  My BIL has flat feet and finds them terribly uncomfortable.   Mrs Ldubs prefers Vionic sandals and sneakers over the Hokas.  

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I wear orthotics built from a cast of my feet at the podiatrist office.  I don't use them with the Hokas.   But Hokas aren't for everyone.  My BIL has flat feet and finds them terribly uncomfortable.   Mrs Ldubs prefers Vionic sandals and sneakers over the Hokas.  

In 2005 I bought Orthotics built from a cast of my feet at a Chiropractors office.In 2010 a Neurosurgeon who performed surgery on me said that the Orthotics were harmful and I should not be wearing them

Last year my new Podiatrist said that I should be wearing orthotics and she prescribed a product not custom made that I have been wearing every day since.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 2005 I bought Orthotics built from a cast of my feet at a Chiropractors office.In 2010 a Neurosurgeon who performed surgery on me said that the Orthotics were harmful and I should not be wearing them

Last year my new Podiatrist said that I should be wearing orthotics and she prescribed a product not custom made that I have been wearing every day since.

Holy cow, I don't want complications from the orthotics.   They do work pretty well for the foot and back pain I get without them.  

• Like 1

Orthotics properly sized and conformed are undoubtedly a great (if expensive) way to have comfy feet for hours and days and weeks.  I've had many issues, but basically I had been 'walking funny' for years until I had my hip replaced, then my knees over a few years.  Before the hip, one of my legs was 3/8" shorter than the other.  Surgeon was a genius.  So I went looking for 'good shoes'.  My first set of orthotics cost $300 and everything was done by a woman working in a 'comfort shoe' specialty store.  She was passionate about foot comfort (alas, she's since retired).  The imported shoes that I bought also cost $300.  They are a European size 44, and I wear fat Wigwam socks with them.  I left the store thinking that I must be insane.  But my big clunky 'orthos' have served me unbelievably well for twenty years; the first pair of shoes lasted ten years before I had to replace them.  So the point of all this is so that you know what I'm saying has been learned personally. 

Orthotics and well-fitting shoes with good support are great ... but you must pay attention and be SURE that they're exactly right as time marches on.  A 'tune-up' once a year is a good idea.  Right now my second pair of shoes is 5-6 years old and not 'perfect', I can tell that my right foot is not 'square' when I walk.  But the people in the store now are only interested in selling shoes, not custom-fitting them.  I have to go find another source of expertise.  But it is SO worth it.  When my knee was 6 months old, I easily walked up to Marksburg Schloss on the Rhine, said to be the toughest place to visit on the whole river.  I can walk all day with perfectly comfortable feet.  You pay thousands to travel, a few hundred for comfort is well worth it.