Comfortable Shoes

shari1737

42 minutes ago, shari1737 said:

What are your favorite comfortable shoes you wear on port days?  Trying to find something that I can wear for several hours that won't hurt my feet but also kind of stylish.  What do you recommend?

Well, what kind of comfortable shoes do you wear at home?  😉

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Well, what kind of comfortable shoes do you wear at home?

At home, I usually go barefoot. LOL  At work, I don't walk much so comfortable shoes isn't an issue.  When I do walk for exercise, I wear tennis shoes.  I was hoping someone would recommend a comfortable sandal.

56 minutes ago, shari1737 said:

At home, I usually go barefoot. LOL  At work, I don't walk much so comfortable shoes isn't an issue.  When I do walk for exercise, I wear tennis shoes.  I was hoping someone would recommend a comfortable sandal.

Are you sure you would want to wear sandals for several hours walking around a port?  What makes sense for when you "...walk for exercise..." should also work for walking around a strange area - with probably not as well maintained sidewalks as you are used to.

I often wear a pair of sneakers by SAS (San Antonio Shoes).  I have them in half a dozen colors, style is Tour Mesh.  But I also tour in SAS sandals, my favorite style is Huarache:

But my all time favorite, most comfortable sandal is the Patricia wedge, by crocs.  Yes, crocs.  This is my reserve pair, little worn.  My original pair is 12 years old and walked all over the Med. two years in a row.

87CF5A24-C9EE-4983-A6C9-EC6088E2023B.jpeg

B0EE8633-AB3B-40FD-9454-1EEF3B30BB71.jpeg

• Like 1

Depends on the port. Depends on the weather. Depends on the activity I have planned. 

I'll wear my Birkenstocks or Tevas in warm weather if just going to the beach or on a level strolling surface around the port. Sketchers with an insole if doing some serious walking for most of the day. My regular walking sneakers, that have a good treaded sole, if the weather is cooler or the walking will include a lot of uneven surfaces.  For serious hikes, my hiking shoes.

But everyone's  feet are different, so brand names don't mean much. I have found it best to go to a good shoe store, get properly sized and fitted, and try several shoes until I find one that fits me best. Comfort trumps style when it comes to hours of walking.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

I have Saucony  walking  shoes  for cooler weather 

warmer climates  Teva sandals 

What ever you choose wear them at home for  a few weeks to make sure they are comfortable  for long walks

Made the mistake of buying new shoes  they felt fine  but walking in Europe  after a day on cobbles & such  I had a massive heel blister

6 hours ago, shari1737 said:

What are your favorite comfortable shoes you wear on port days?  Trying to find something that I can wear for several hours that won't hurt my feet but also kind of stylish.  What do you recommend?

I never wear shoes.I have black New Balance sneakers to wear evenings and white for daytime and off the ship.

7 hours ago, evandbob said:

Sketchers sneakers, with or without cushion Dr Scholls inserts.  

I'm a guy, I don't think I've ever worn shoes on a tour or walk around.

I wear nothing but sketchers new slip on shoes , will buy a second pair before sailing in a couple of weeks, I like that they don’t have shoelaces.

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I often wear a pair of sneakers by SAS (San Antonio Shoes).  I have them in half a dozen colors, style is Tour Mesh.  But I also tour in SAS sandals, my favorite style is Huarache:

But my all time favorite, most comfortable sandal is the Patricia wedge, by crocs.  Yes, crocs.  This is my reserve pair, little worn.  My original pair is 12 years old and walked all over the Med. two years in a row.

87CF5A24-C9EE-4983-A6C9-EC6088E2023B.jpeg

B0EE8633-AB3B-40FD-9454-1EEF3B30BB71.jpeg

These SAS huaraches are super cute.  I have high arches, so need something that is supportive in that area for long periods of walking.  How do you find the arch support in this style.  Also, is your pair in the picture the antique tan color?  Thanks!

8 hours ago, shari1737 said:

Mrs Ldubs swears by Vionic sandals because they provide good arch support.     

Edited by ldubs

1 hour ago, aspencreek said:

Hoka Cliftons.  Started wearing Hoka shoes a few years back after getting some foot pain and now wear them almost exclusively for long walks, exercising, Disney trips, etc.  

I have three pair of Hoka Bondi's and wear them just about everywhere.   However, I am a little concerned because we have an upcoming trip with a lot of rain predicted.  Hoka's are not the best for keeping my feet dry.   Might have to get some galoshes!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aungrl said:

These SAS huaraches are super cute.  I have high arches, so need something that is supportive in that area for long periods of walking.  How do you find the arch support in this style.  Also, is your pair in the picture the antique tan color?  Thanks!

No, I don’t remember what that color was, but it is my favorite neutral.  I also have worn a lot of antique tan, shown here next to what I think is copper metallic.  They also make the same shoe with a different decoration, and here I have the metallic navy.  You really should try to find an SAS factory store.  They have other styles of sandals, but these are the best for me .  They are expensive, but nearly indestructible.  Years ago I had an old pair and painted them brown (they started as antique tan).  I wore them on an expedition in the Amazon, portaging canoes in the river, and they survived.  EM

35CC443B-2D3C-4187-9CF5-894B571F28A7.jpeg

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 2

This is just a suggestion but you might pop over to the "Fashion Forum" and ask the same question.

There are ALOT of folks over there who post all about shoes with lots of good information😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

I have three pair of Hoka Bondi's and wear them just about everywhere.   However, I am a little concerned because we have an upcoming trip with a lot of rain predicted.  Hoka's are not the best for keeping my feet dry.   Might have to get some galoshes!  

I'm a big Hoka fan. Recently I was trawling the web looking for a specific color and I recall seeing some that were actually waterproofed. I think they were Cliftons, though, and not Bondi...

That said, I have also been known to get a good quality rain repellent spray (such as those available at REI and similar) and spray my shoes if I think I'm going to be wearing them in wet weather. More for their benefit (the shoes that is) than mine. Since my Cliftons have mini holes for ventilation, there is only so much a spray can do. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The weather is a factor with shoes. My shoes choices are just for on the ship, Sketchers. They are very comfortable right out of the box. My off-ship shoes are Merrel low quarter hiking shoes. They are good for all weather and terrain. With any shoe if you are getting them for a cruise, get them a few weeks before you go. Wear them around your house when out and about. You want to get them broken in. It is good to carry some band aids with you when off ship, in case a blister develops. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Greg4502 said:

The weather is a factor with shoes. My shoes choices are just for on the ship, Sketchers. They are very comfortable right out of the box. My off-ship shoes are Merrel low quarter hiking shoes. They are good for all weather and terrain. With any shoe if you are getting them for a cruise, get them a few weeks before you go. Wear them around your house when out and about. You want to get them broken in. It is good to carry some band aids with you when off ship, in case a blister develops. 

Merrill’s are my go to shoes. Comfortable, supporting, hard wearing. I have 3 pairs at all times. A new pair, a “yard / garage” pair, and a “painting / drywall pair”. When I buy a new pair the older ones move down the ladder a rung. They last for years. I prefer the slip-on types but they have many laced options. Link for women below.

https://www.merrell.com/CA/en_CA/womens-footwear/

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

This is just a suggestion but you might pop over to the "Fashion Forum" and ask the same question.

There are ALOT of folks over there who post all about shoes with lots of good information😀

Thanks, Lois, will do!

22 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

No, I don’t remember what that color was, but it is my favorite neutral.  I also have worn a lot of antique tan, shown here next to what I think is copper metallic.  They also make the same shoe with a different decoration, and here I have the metallic navy.  You really should try to find an SAS factory store.  They have other styles of sandals, but these are the best for me .  They are expensive, but nearly indestructible.  Years ago I had an old pair and painted them brown (they started as antique tan).  I wore them on an expedition in the Amazon, portaging canoes in the river, and they survived.  EM

35CC443B-2D3C-4187-9CF5-894B571F28A7.jpeg

Thanks for the additional detail and pics.  I do love the way these look. Off to research SAS factory locations.  

On 2/28/2023 at 9:36 AM, shari1737 said:

Hiking boots or light hikers. Preferably boots, which will support your ankles, but light hikering shoes will do fine.  You can walk for 30 miles, and your legs are going to give out before you feel your hiking boots to be uncomfortable.

Wearing sandals, sneakers, tennis shoes, or like make no sense.  They provide you with no support, little to no cushioning, and give limited protection to your  feet.

On 2/28/2023 at 7:09 PM, ldubs said:

Mrs Ldubs swears by Vionic sandals because they provide good arch support.     

I will absolutely second that!!  After my foot surgery, my surgeon highly recommended them.  I now wear them almost exclusively, and use their inserts in other brand of shoes.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 10:47 AM, Essiesmom said:

But I also tour in SAS sandals, my favorite style is Huarache

I love mine, too! They've held up so well but it is time to get a new pair.