Important advisory regarding your Carnival cruise

Old Fart Cruisers

I'd like to see move visible security, but don't want to feel like I'm on a prison ship.

I think they would benefit from a "security station" out by the pool and some of the busier day drinking areas.

A place you can go when someone is being unruly, let them handle it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I don't know if this has been covered before, but I just got this from email from Carnival and haven't seen it before.

http://image.carnivalcruiselineemail.com/lib/fe8b13727263017876/m/1/Header_Info.jpg

GUEST ADVISORY

SAFETY FIRST! GUIDELINES

February 28, 2023 

Dear Carnival Guest,  

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board!

You will be sailing with us during Spring Break, which is traditionally a period of high occupancy. As part of our commitment to create the best environment to provide a fun and memorable vacation for all, we would like to remind you of our Safety First! guidelines, as we CHOOSE FUN TOGETHER. 

RESPECTFUL AND CONSIDERATE GENERAL CONDUCT 

We want you to have a memorable vacation but please remember a cruise ship is a shared space. Our Carnival Values underscore that all guests should feel welcome and included, and that everyone demonstrates care and respect towards each other. Our experience has taught us that everyone has a better time when children are supervised, noise in the hallways is kept to a minimum, guests follow queues, and that a spirit of community and neighborliness is shown by all. 

All guests must acknowledge our Code of Conduct during the check-in process. Please be familiar with these guidelines, and if you are sailing as a group or family, please make sure you have a conversation so that everyone understands how they can support the shipboard leaders in creating a fun and safe environment. 

For safety reasons, public announcements must be heard by all guests and crew. Consequently, guests must use earphones when listening to music or watching shows/movies on personal devices (such as mobile phone, tablets, and laptops) in public spaces. In addition, music speakers and large radios will be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise.

And we know people love to sunbathe, but please be aware that reserving sun loungers or seats in any of our venues is not permitted. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. 

ALCOHOL AND BEVERAGE GUIDELINES 
  • No hard liquor or beer may be brought on board. Guests 21 years of age and older may bring one bottle (750 ml) of wine or champagne, per person, in their carry-on luggage when embarking for their cruise.
  • Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas, and other non-alcoholic beverages, that are packaged in bottles. On embarkation day, a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, energy drinks, juice, and milk), packaged in cans or cartons, may be brought on board and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12-ounces/354-ml each or less, per person. 
  • All hard liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of our approved exceptions are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage. Such items will be confiscated and discarded, and no compensation will be provided.
Click here to read our complete beverage policy.

TOBACCO AND MARIJUANA SMOKING

Smoking in non-designated areas, including staterooms and balconies, and discharging any item overboard is prohibited and will result in a $500 charge per violation. This applies to all forms of smoking, including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, vaporizers, electronic cigarettes, and marijuana. 

Carnival recognizes that some states in the U.S. have legalized the use of recreational and/or medical marijuana. However, cruise lines are required to follow U.S. federal law, which strictly prohibits possession and use of marijuana and other illegal substances. Consequently, marijuana, including marijuana for medical purposes, and other illegal drugs, are not allowed on board. 

Please review our complete Tobacco and Marijuana Smoking Policy.

PERSONAL SAFETY 

Although everyone's safety is our concern, all guests should take responsibility for their personal safety. You're on a moving ship, so please hold on to handrails when possible and never climb on rails. When out on deck, be mindful of wet surfaces (especially by the pool area), always wear appropriate deck shoes and dry-off before enjoying any of our outdoor sports equipment or going inside from the pool areas.

The ship's leaders are responsible for your safety and making sure everyone on board feels welcome under our "Have Fun. Be Safe." motto. Please direct any concerns to our Guest Services team so that those matters can be addressed promptly. 

Have Fun. Be Safe.

Sincerely,

7436bfd8-e2f5-424e-ab0c-3a2617dabebd.jpg
Colleen Oliverio
VP, Guest Services - Contact Centers

http://image.carnivalcruiselineemail.com/lib/fe8b13727263017876/m/1/header_img_bottom.png
http://image.carnivalcruiselineemail.com/lib/fe9513727761047c7c/m/1/spacer.gif
Please do not reply to this email as the mailbox is not monitored.

I got it too because we're sailing on March 13.  I've never gotten something like this before but I guess it's a good reminder for some.  

1 hour ago, NotJohnHeald said:

I don't have a problem with buzzed or drunk people as long as they stay in their lane and do not physically or verbally harm other individuals. Now we got Carnival punishing people for having drinks, which they have the nerve to charge $14 for because they are so broke, but yet god forbid someone have a few.

These are the same einsteins who will turn around an sue Carnival (or their heirs will) for overserving them, when they do something stupid. After the fact is too late for enforcement.

Basic Elements of a Public Intoxication Charge

By definition, a public intoxication charge usually has three basic elements, all of which must exist to support a criminal charge. Specifically, it must be shown that a defendant:

• Was under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or controlled substances,
  • Caused a disturbance or harm to another person, and
  • Was present in a public place.

I didn't hear about him causing a disturbance, only drunk, but not drunk enough to arrest, only write a note to the principal

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nascartim said:

They are already trying to enforce these rules, at least on Mardi Gras they were. My friend got flagged coming back on the ship from being in port. He had been drinking and was swaying and security stopped to talk to him. They ask him a few questions and let him go. The next day he couldn't purchase any drinks until he spoke to security. They made him write an apology paragraph on being drunk. We thought it was quite silly, we all had a good laugh. But I think that's a starting point in case he did get drunk again and caused a scene. I'm not sure what the 2nd offense might have been.

10 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Basic Elements of a Public Intoxication Charge

By definition, a public intoxication charge usually has three basic elements, all of which must exist to support a criminal charge. Specifically, it must be shown that a defendant:

• Was under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or controlled substances,
  • Caused a disturbance or harm to another person, and
  • Was present in a public place.

I didn't hear about him causing a disturbance, only drunk, but not drunk enough to arrest, only write a note to the principal

Bolded part my emphasis.

21 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Drunk is against the rules?

Sloppy drunk needs to be against the rules. Carnival has let behavior on their ships just slip too far into the unacceptable. No one minds the happy quiet drunk. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, marci4tony said:

Doesnt appear unreasonable to remind people...

The problem is those who need to hear it will totally ignore it even if they hear it. Those who really do not need the reminder are the ones who will notice it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2023 at 10:12 AM, EngIceDave said:

I'd like to see move visible security, but don't want to feel like I'm on a prison ship.

I think they would benefit from a "security station" out by the pool and some of the busier day drinking areas.

A place you can go when someone is being unruly, let them handle it.

We were on the Glory last month. Apparently while we were cruising they did the video announcing more security. That had already occurred on the Glory. Pairs of security personnel were always wandering around. It didn't feel like a prison ship. The security folks were at ease, chatting with each other, smiling and responding in good cheer if you said "good morning" or whatever. Not at all like the militarized, always be in control showing who is the boss U.S. police.

We liked having them around.

• Like 1

I was on the celebration a couple of weeks ago and they banned a young man I guess around 25 from any achohol for the remainder of the cruise.  Not sure what he did but at least Carnival is putting in the effort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:19 AM, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Image result for punishment writing lines on a blackboard

Image result for punishment writing lines on a blackboard

This reminds me of an incident last week in class (I teach 7th grade).  One of the students said something and of course, I started singing a song.  One of the students said, "that's from '75, that is really old!"  I stopped what I was doing and looked directly at him and said, "If 1975 is old, then what does that make me?" ( I'm 52).   He stated, "That makes you a "W," (winner) because you've lived this long!"   Sigh.  While I wasn't really upset and had to turn my head to the side so he couldn't see me, I pretended like I was very upset with him.  I told him if he was going to say I was that old, then I was going to teach like "back in my day," and made him go to the board.  After writing the 3rd sentence, "I will not tell my teacher she is "W" for living this long," on the board.  He turned to me and exclaimed, "Hey, this is cool, it's kind of like I'm Bart Simpson."  (Heavy sigh from me)  I had him stop writing as it wasn't meant to be fun and cool....smh.  Had I taken my student's photo, he would have been grinning from ear to ear with delight.  

I hope my next cruise isn't as rowdy as what it appears cruises have been lately.  I see the disrespect where I work and I can definitely see why these emails are put out there.  However, as previously stated....will there be follow through???   Otherwise, it might be time take more cruises on other lines.

Carnival being a private company and us passengers sailing under a contract with them, they do not need to have any legal elements present to make a claim of public intoxication. They can define it any way they want to. Our contracts say we have to follow the rules, and I bet have something along the lines of they can change any rule at any time without notice. They are governed entirely by their bottom line, which can be a good or a bad thing. When they take enforcement action, they have to decide if it will cost more for them to enforce a rule than it would cost for them not to enforce it. This could factor in everything from potential bar bills to fines to future cruise bookings to lawsuits. I don't envy them having to make these decisions.