How stable is Star Breeze?

Sailnsurf

My wife is sensitive to motion. She has managed well on several Holland American cruises and has only had some difficulty in gale strength winds or heavy swells. We are cosidering a Marquesas and a Tahitian islands cruise on the Star Breeze. Can anyone who has sailed on Star Breeze give us some idea of her stabiliy? Does she have stabilsers?

Thanks for your reply Redtravel. I suspected that there would be a potential for noticeably more motion but hoped that the relatively short distances between islands and sea conditions might have meant there was no problem . I would have liked to try a small ship experience but I think it is not to be. 

Everybody has problems in heavy swells (some have more than others of course), no matter how big the ship — because the stabilizers only work for rocking, not rolling. Our experience has been that small ships are not really that different from large ships in heavy weather. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all responses. I should explain further. My wife (and I ) love cruising. We have chosen mid-size ships and have been careful with cabin selection, mid-ship mid- level for known heavy swell areas ( Noordkaap Norway - Bering sea Japan Alaska crossing) aft cabin for Mediterranean. It makes a great difference for her. I started looking at a Paul Gargain cruise but read reviews mentioning rocking and rolling in what seemed like ordinary sea conditions. That is what got me looking at a Star Breeze cruise in French Polynesia at a time when kindly wind and sea conditions should be expected. But it would help to get a feel for whether there is any degree of movement in the conditions usually experienced say between May and September. Any further information would be very much appreciated because it sounds as if a cruise with Windstar would be a great experience.

You might, repeat might, have an issue between Tahiti and the Marquesas, or between Tahiti and Fakarava. But most of your time you’ll be close to shore with no problems. You’re  clearly experienced sailors, go for it! Just promise not to kidnap any of the crew when you disembark, (you’ll wish you could). To give yourself maximum assurance do the mid ships lower deck thing for cabin selection.

Edited by Nearpost345

We had a Tahiti sailing on the Wind Surf (I think), it was a sailing ship and a very rough crossing to the Tuamotus Islands. Rough seas on a Baltic cruise on the Star Breeze before the lengthening,  A basic cruise in Tahiti should be fine.

Second seating

• 10 months later...
On 3/2/2023 at 7:43 AM, 6rugrats said:

I have been on both PG (1 time) and Windstar (3 times) in FP.  I wouldn't choose PG again for many reasons.  I have never experienced any problems with excessive ship motion in that area.

Can you expand on the reasons why you wouldn’t choose PG? Thank you.

Has your wife looked at the prescription scopolamine patches?  They have been a lifesaver for me. In really rough waters I combine them with generic Bonine, and I basically have no problems now. I've been on some small to mid-size cruise ships where half the ship is out with seasickness and I may lose my appetite but that's it. I've got the Drake Passage coming up in February and I'm dreading that, but hopefully, my system will work there too.