New Wine Allotment - 1 Bottle per Adult

On 3/23/2023 at 7:40 PM, Wineaux007 said:

Are they actually enforcing this at check in?

On 3/24/2023 at 8:44 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

This is why I keep reading this thread, to see if anyone is reporting having this actually enforced yet. 

3-19 sailing on the Anthem out of Bayonne…

My wife and I each tried to bring two bottles (we have connecting staterooms and I was going solo to get us to Diamond on this cruise).  She had one bottle taken away and it was delivered to our room the last night.  I went through a different security line and made it through with both.  

There is signage in many locations saying one bottle per person in room (up to two max per room)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

My wife and I each tried to bring two bottles (we have connecting staterooms and I was going solo to get us to Diamond on this cruise).  She had one bottle taken away and it was delivered to our room the last night.  I went through a different security line and made it through with both.  

There is signage in many locations saying one bottle per person in room (up to two max per room)

Thank you for posting. I’m sailing out of cape liberty in May so it’s good to know. My sister is sailing solo in an interior cabin and I had told her she could bring 2 so I’ll let her know. Did they make much of a fuss when they took your wife’s second bottle? Did it delay your boarding? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thanks for the update.  I am sailing out of Cape Liberty in July, and I was thinking as we have two state rooms, we might be able to bring 4 bottles aboard.  

3 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thank you for posting. I’m sailing out of cape liberty in May so it’s good to know. My sister is sailing solo in an interior cabin and I had told her she could bring 2 so I’ll let her know. Did they make much of a fuss when they took your wife’s second bottle? Did it delay your boarding? 

No fuss at all. My wife just reminded them that they were supposed to give it back to our stateroom the last evening, which I think is typically by 7 PM. You could still enjoy it that evening, if you wanted, which is what we did.

2 hours ago, sjinnj said:

Thanks for the update.  I am sailing out of Cape Liberty in July, and I was thinking as we have two state rooms, we might be able to bring 4 bottles aboard.  

You can bring four on board for sure if you have two people who are 21 years or older in each staterooms.  Honestly, it’s worth risking it in my opinion. Worst case you get it back the last evening anyway.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s our experience for those wondering about enforcement at Port Everglades.

DH and I are boarding today for a B2B on Odyssey. To see what would happen we went through two different security lines.

DH had 2 bottles of wine in the same bag.  He reports that his X-ray screener looked carefully at his bag but did not say anything.  He came through with his two bottle without clarifying that he is a B2B guest.

I also had 2 bottles but separate into two different bags.  My screener matched the bags to me, confirmed that each had a bottle.  I explained I was b2b, holding both set sail passes as they called their superior, who heard that and waived me through; she showed no interest in holding the second bottle until the second cruise.

Summary, YMMV by screener. Surprise, surprise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 7:45 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

For me it's not about saving money, it's about having better wine than you can get on the ship. 

Same for me regarding "hard liquor" in general. I wish I could bring a bottle of my favorite scotch with me when I board. I would have no problem at all paying a reasonable fee to do so. On cruises where one can order a bottle for cabin delivery, the choices of brands is usually limited to stuff I'd prefer to use only use as paint remover!😎

Having said that, can anyone answer if I can order a bottle of "paint remover" (scotch) on an RCI ship? Seems like I did that many years ago on the Serenade and Silhouette, but like many things going south, my memory has holes in it also........🤔 We don't have a drinks package on our next RCI cruise.

Doug

• Like 2

Regarding buying a bottle onboard, based on what I've seen, you can only order gin, vodka, or rum via the Royal Gifts page.  They also have wine, champagne, beer, and seltzers. Maybe someone else knows something I don't.

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Same for me regarding "hard liquor" in general. I wish I could bring a bottle of my favorite scotch with me when I board. I would have no problem at all paying a reasonable fee to do so. On cruises where one can order a bottle for cabin delivery, the choices of brands is usually limited to stuff I'd prefer to use only use as paint remover!😎

Having said that, can anyone answer if I can order a bottle of "paint remover" (scotch) on an RCI ship? Seems like I did that many years ago on the Serenade and Silhouette, but like many things going south, my memory has holes in it also........🤔 We don't have a drinks package on our next RCI cruise.

Doug

I don't believe so, but whatever you purchase in the Duty free shop gets delivered to your stateroom by 7pm the last evening of the cruise.  If you found something you really like you could maybe crack it open that last evening and take the rest home with you.

On 4/8/2023 at 10:55 AM, Starry Eyes said:

Here’s our experience for those wondering about enforcement at Port Everglades.

DH and I are boarding today for a B2B on Odyssey. To see what would happen we went through two different security lines.

DH had 2 bottles of wine in the same bag.  He reports that his X-ray screener looked carefully at his bag but did not say anything.  He came through with his two bottle without clarifying that he is a B2B guest.

I also had 2 bottles but separate into two different bags.  My screener matched the bags to me, confirmed that each had a bottle.  I explained I was b2b, holding both set sail passes as they called their superior, who heard that and waived me through; she showed no interest in holding the second bottle until the second cruise.

Summary, YMMV by screener. Surprise, surprise.

Good to know, thanks!!  We're doing a B2B on Odyssey in October -- Holy Land Tour and Transatlantic, which will be 27 days onboard!!  I hope they'll be lenient with us, too.  We are boarding in Rome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I don't believe so, but whatever you purchase in the Duty free shop gets delivered to your stateroom by 7pm the last evening of the cruise.  If you found something you really like you could maybe crack it open that last evening and take the rest home with you.

Do you know if they deliver liquor purchases to your room after the first leg of a B2B?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YlangYlangF9PB3E said:

Do you know if they deliver liquor purchases to your room after the first leg of a B2B?

After the second leg.

If you want it for the second leg then buy it late on the last day when they let everyone takle their purchases with them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RD64 said:

No judgement but it continues to amaze me that people will spend $$$$$$ on a cruise - but bringing on that one extra bottle is the be all and end all barometer of a good cruise.

First, you're putting words in people's mouths ... or, on their screens.  No one said this is a make-or-break issue, but it is an issue.  Lots of people want to know what they can bring onboard.

Second, not everyone has paid $$$$$$ to cruise, and -- even if they have -- how does that translate to suddenly being willing to spend more, more, more for wine?  That's like saying because I spent a lot at the grocery store, I should also go buy a new pair of shoes.  Unrelated topics.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, YlangYlangF9PB3E said:

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

After the second leg.

If you want it for the second leg then buy it late on the last day when they let everyone takle their purchases with them.

Pro-tip. Make friends with someone on the first cruise.  Give them cash for the bottle you want.  Have them buy it.  It will be delivered to their stateroom on the last night.  Pick it up from them.  

😉  😄 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, RD64 said:

No judgement but it continues to amaze me that people will spend $$$$$$ on a cruise - but bringing on that one extra bottle is the be all and end all barometer of a good cruise.

It's always fun to get a bargain.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2023 at 7:11 PM, RD64 said:

It’s not necessarily about money or an extra bottle…. it’s about quality and preference. For example hubby and I really like Greek wines and certain French rosés. If RC had them on board I’d happily order them, with or without the  40% discount. 

• Like 4

On 5/26/2023 at 4:32 PM, vjmatty said:

It’s not necessarily about money or an extra bottle…. it’s about quality and preference. For example hubby and I really like Greek wines and certain French rosés. If RC had them on board I’d happily order them, with or without the  40% discount. 

Me too.   I like Natural Rose Champagne.   Really unlikely to find that

On 4/24/2023 at 10:21 AM, marci22 said:

It's always fun to get a bargain.

Then for a really fun bargain, please join the ranks of people on back to back cruises that scour the decks on turn around day looking for unopened bottles of wine to claim - please refer to one of the Diamond Drink Coupon threads for more info on this bargain…

• Like 1

I carried both bottles of wine in my beach bag - husband didn't have any. I was never questioned as to why I had 2, nor did anyone ask me who I was sailing with. To be honest, I probably could have had 2 in my beach bag and 2 in my backpack, and husband also have 2 and nobody would have questioned it.

This was San Pedro.

• 3 weeks later...

First time on Royal so I apologize for the question in advance.
Does the wine or pop have to be in your carry-on or can you put it in your checked bag? I am just thinking that two bottles of wine and a 12 pack of pop will be quite heavy to carry around until rooms are open. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbrazil120 said:

First time on Royal so I apologize for the question in advance.
Does the wine or pop have to be in your carry-on or can you put it in your checked bag? I am just thinking that two bottles of wine and a 12 pack of pop will be quite heavy to carry around until rooms are open. 

Has to be in your carry-on.  You'll see more than a few people carrying a 12-pack of soda onboard.  Consider a backpack.  Consider that you aren't required to bring a full 12-pack of soda; that is, you can bring 4 cans, 5 cans, 6 cans.