Holland America Isolation Policy

Balboa1978

35 minutes ago, Balboa1978 said:

Beware HAl’s isolation policy is if you continue to test positive regardless of a lack of symptoms and a lack of fever they will isolate you for up to 10 days.

I am very sorry to hear you are in isolation.  I hope you are in a balcony cabin.  I can not imagine anything less for this amount of time.  I went to your Roll Call and it seems there are quite a few of you.  I read more of your plight and the response from management is unacceptable.  Best wishes to you going forward.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, we do have a balcony cabin. I believe there are many more cases then have been reported on cruise critic. We can hear the coughing from our balcony and it’s coming from many places.

Florence Italy is one of favorite places on earth. We will be back in May this time on the Amalfi coast.

• Like 2

It depends on itinerary (port) as well as Captain (and Corp). We were told 5 days retested and if other cabin mate test positive, then another 5 days. If not positive we were free to roam the ship. But then also were prohibited from getting off in port (after testing negative) because the Country required 10 days. 

• Like 1

We are on the 35 day trip to Hawaii and French Polynesia. We missed all of Hawaii. I was in isolation for 5 days, now my wife is on day 7. Even though she’s had no temperature or symptoms for 3 days she still tests positive so they won’t release her from our cell.

We arrive in French Polynesia in a few days with multiple ports of call. Does anyone know the entry requirements for French Polynesia as it relates to prior positive tests?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Balboa1978 said:

We are on the 35 day trip to Hawaii and French Polynesia. We missed all of Hawaii. I was in isolation for 5 days, now my wife is on day 7. Even though she’s had no temperature or symptoms for 3 days she still tests positive so they won’t release her from our cell.

We arrive in French Polynesia in a few days with multiple ports of call. Does anyone know the entry requirements for French Polynesia as it relates to prior positive tests?

You are "lucky". I never tested positive but DW was, so both were quarantined for 6 days (this was last summer so things have changed). The port will determine a date from when positive test was first obtained. It will be different in various Countries but I would supposed Fr Polynesian islands would be more restrictive (protected) due to isolation and limited health services for residents. Which islands are you visiting, that may help determine by past cruisers. 

We self tested to begin. We had minor symptoms and self reported. HAL quarantined us, then began testing 5 days later. I tested negative. My wife continues to test positive. She has not had a fever nor symptoms for 3 days. We regret self reporting. I’m sure their are many passengers who are not self testing, so far there has been no required testing by the cruise line unless you self tested and reported. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tula45 said:

Can I ask why the tests are being done? Is it voluntary or are the ships medical team doing hit? 

If you feel sick you are supposed to contact medical to get tested. (Of course many Passengers don't want to be quarantined so they rather walk around the ship infecting others.) Depending on cruise length and passenger, it becomes a tough decision.  Some just "self" quarantine and try to stay away from people. HAL used to only administer 1 test if you are positive and wait 5 days to test again. (No regards to false positive). If your cabin mate is negative they were tested every other day. If they became positive the 5 days starts over (quarantine used to be for both). Not sure what HALs protocol is today and may be different on each ship. 

• Like 1

I will add this cruise had a vaccination (including one booster) required protocol. I’m told by many their vaccination status was not checked at embarkation. There was also a testing required to board protocol. We were all suppose to have a negative test before being allowed to board. There was a lineup of people side by side who did not follow the protocol with those who did. There was a 3 day masking requirement for the passengers and crew sent to us 3 days before embarkation by HAL. The protocol was not implemented. We were not notified the protocol was rescinded. It seemed the rule made sense, the prior cruise had a large Covid breakout . My wife and I both wore KN95 masks traveling to the port city, while boarding and while on ship. We successfully avoided Covid for 3 years. Sadly we couldn’t on a HAL ship and my wife finds herself quarantined with no fever and no symptoms. The reward for self reporting. Prior to boarding we expected the possibility of a 5 day quarantine which is CDC guideline and we were ok with that. Hence the self reporting to protect others,  We are now told it could be up to 10 days if she continues to test positive. Today will be day 8 if she does. I’ve yet to find a posting on HAL’s web site which defines their isolation policy, I think their overriding policy is get the bodies on-board.

The protocols for this cruise had been different then most current cruises. It’s 35 days with 2 long sea day periods far from port.

Edited by Balboa1978

37 minutes ago, Balboa1978 said:

We regret self reporting. I’m sure their are many passengers who are not self testing, so far there has been no required testing by the cruise line unless you self tested and reported. 

You did the right thing. You're not infecting others. And, the clock started ticking after the first positive test. 

Should the ship impose a mandatory test before disembarkation, some people are going to get caught. And, spend the full isolation period in a hotel; missing their flight.

• Like 2

We will be arriving in French Polynesia over the next several days with a number of ports, I’m hopeful HAL does test the entire ship, if they do there will be many unhappy, dishonest cruises who could miss all of French Polynesia. Just like my wife missed all of Hawaii.

13 hours ago, Balboa1978 said:

We are stopping at Tabuaeran, Uturoa Raiatea, Papeete, Moorea, Fakarava, Nuku Hiva

I haven't been able to find any updated protocol in any of their websites. Most of the information is from summer of 2022 where tests are no longer required for entry and random quarantine is no longer required. However I'm sure they have different protocols when a known positive test arises. Guest Services manager (or Medical) may have current current info. 

Did you get a letter stating you will get FCC for days in quarantine? If HAL is still offering that you will need to get a letter from medical outlining the days in quarantine to keep in case there is "confusion" on HALs calculations. 

1 minute ago, Balboa1978 said:

We will be arriving in French Polynesia over the next several days with a number of ports, I’m hopeful HAL does test the entire ship, if they do there will be many unhappy, dishonest cruises who could miss all of French Polynesia. Just like my wife missed all of Hawaii.

But also if the ratio of passengers is too high, then the next ports may not allow any disembarkment. Be careful what you hope for. 😉

26 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

You did the right thing. You're not infecting others. And, the clock started ticking after the first positive test. 

Should the ship impose a mandatory test before disembarkation, some people are going to get caught. And, spend the full isolation period in a hotel; missing their flight.

16 minutes ago, REOVA said:

I haven't been able to find any updated protocol in any of their websites. Most of the information is from summer of 2022 where tests are no longer required for entry and random quarantine is no longer required. However I'm sure they have different protocols when a known positive test arises. Guest Services manager (or Medical) may have current current info. 

Did you get a letter stating you will get FCC for days in quarantine? If HAL is still offering that you will need to get a letter from medical outlining the days in quarantine to keep in case there is "confusion" on HALs calculations. 

But also if the ratio of passengers is too high, then the next ports may not allow any disembarkment. Be careful what you hope for. 😉

We did get the FCC letter. We have no intention of sailing HAL again and asked to have it applied the the crew appreciation fund. After numerous follow ups the president of HAL has agreed. We have become buddies… lol. The FCC paid to the crew will be at least $1500.00 more then what we would normally paid and will be more until my wife tests negative. I have a letter from the president.

Edited by Balboa1978
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Balboa1978 said:

We did get the FCC letter. We have no intention of sailing HAL again and asked to have it applied the the crew appreciation fund. After numerous follow ups the president of HAL has agreed. We have become buddies… lol. The FCC paid to the crew will be at least $1500.00 more then what we would normally paid and will be more until my wife tests negative.

Hey, thanks for your help and input.

29 minutes ago, Balboa1978 said:

I will be very surprised if they do.  IMO, the cruise lines really do not want to know you have COVID.

Please keep us posted.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Balboa1978 said:

We did get the FCC letter. We have no intention of sailing HAL again and asked to have it applied the the crew appreciation fund. After numerous follow ups the president of HAL has agreed. We have become buddies… lol. The FCC paid to the crew will be at least $1500.00 more then what we would normally paid and will be more until my wife tests negative. I have a letter from the president.

That is very kind of generous of you to do that for the crew.  

• Like 4

@Balboa1978

My husband and I are on this cruise. I agree not many followed protocol regarding masking. 

We were on Rotterdam for 45 days, returning Jan 25th. There was MUCH more coughing and illness on that ship.

I honestly don't see many onboard now who sound sick. 

I for one, am very prone to sea sickness and a good lot experienced it yesterday.

It's cold and flu season, and now Covid problems. We are fully vaccinated plus 3 boosters, but we take a chance every day on catching something!

I'm sorry to hear you are leaving HAL. 

Kind regards,

SSS

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of your quarantine.  We were on the Eurodam earlier in February.  As the 10 days went on, we heard lots of coughing.  We wore masks, and tried to avoid crowded areas.  Who knows about Covid or colds/flu on board, but we were very happy to come home with no illness.  

Edited by ktbraun

7 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

So what  protocols should HAL  post on their WEB site  because of covid breakouts on their ships ?

What I’m been looking for is a published HAL document which clearly states their isolation protocols. How many days if you’re not testing negative, 5 days, 10 days or forever. Get it now? I have found nothing on their web site. They say on board they are following CDC guidelines which is not true. It took contact with the president of the company to get an answer and a document.

We are both now out of isolation.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Balboa1978 said:

What I’m been looking for is a published HAL document which clearly states their isolation protocols. How many days if you’re not testing negative, 5 days, 10 days or forever. Get it now? I have found nothing on their web site. They say on board they are following CDC guidelines which is not true. It took contact with the president of the company to get an answer and a document.

We are both now out of isolation.

That is good that you no longer test positive .You are correct the CDC has "no cruise guidelines any longer " .You are also correct that HAL's web site should have clear definitions about quarantine . Not having clear guidelines  gives the cruise line a great deal of latitude & nothing for the infected passengers .imo this is wrong .Best of Luck going forward

Edited by mcrcruiser