Teppanyaki and parents of teens watchout!

So on 4 NCL cruises and always having our daughter join us and share without issue until last week.

Last week on the Escape we were told out 15 year old COULD NOT eat off the kids menu and it would cost $70 for her to join us. We explained that she had joined us in 3 other Specialties without issue that week. They said 10 and under for kids menu????

A quick phone call and My Daughter almost crying and saying she would just go to the Buffet they said ok.

She orders a Burger and watches the show.

End of meal server bring 2 bills. One for $0.00, the wife and myself. One $70 and change for my Daughters Burger?!

A very calm talk with the Manager had the bill removed. She said back in October the change was made, but of course NO ONE was told about it. She said if we had talked to her first then My Daughter could have ordered her meal at no charge.

I will tell you 3 full meals could feed 5 people without issue.

Food was great, show was awesome as always!

Did miss the Tenderloin and for $70 is a CRIME!

No salad this time, it was coleslaw? Strange indeed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sorry, having trouble following. You say you believe that 3 teppanyaki meals could feed 5? Um, going to disagree with you there. I can eat three place settings worth of rice and some proteins.

And yes, I would say 15 is too old for kids menu.

I would advise not eating there in the future if it's too much food.

Edited by pc_load_letter
Added text to clarify last sentence.
  • Like 16

3 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

I'm sorry, having trouble following. You say you believe that 3 teppanyaki meals could feed 5? Um, going to disagree with you there. I can eat three place settings worth of rice and some proteins.

And yes, I would say 15 is too old for kids menu. Don't eat there if it's too much food.

Yeah, something seems to be getting lost in translation, so to speak. She got a burger at the buffet and it cost $70? What? Or she ordered a burger at Teppanyaki and it was $70? That doesn't make sense. I don't get it. 🤷‍♂️ Agree that 15 is too old for a kid's menu, but I'm surprised this wasn't communicated to OP.

• Like 4

What kind of escalation happened to make your 15 year old cry and want to go to the buffet while you stayed at the restaurant?

If I knew we wanted to stay, I would have told them I disagree, accept the charge and then take care of it after dinner if you really wanted to try OR just pay for her meal?

Your 15 year old didn't have to be caught up in the middle. Maybe she wasn't but sounds like something sure made her upset. 

Did you let your daughter go to buffet and get a hamburger and come back and they charged her?
Perhaps if you really wanted to make a point, one of the adults could have left and let your daughter stay but maybe we are all missing something more that you can elaborate.

Edited by js
  • Like 8

We have 2 nights for the first 2 passengers at a Specialty restaurant included with our April cruise on Pearl 

We are bringing our 9 yr old grandson with us and fully intend to pay the $70 for him to eat his meal. 
I wouldn’t expect him to order off the kid menu while we enjoy the “fruits of the grill” and honestly he can eat as much as me at those places.  

Expecting a 15 yr old to be able to order off the kid’s menu anywhere, on land or sea, is just setting yourselves up for disappointment. 

Being charged $70 for the burger is really the only issue I see and it sounds like you got the charge taken care of. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Hmmmm....I'm lost, too.  OP...are you saying your teen daughter was trying to eat off the kids menu?  NCL said as much?  She did eat off the kids menu (Burger), but was charged?

So, she went to the buffet, but watched "the show"?  

I'm going to make some assumptions.  Let me know if I'm right.

Daughter ate off the Speciality menus on previous cruises when she was younger.  She's now a teen and not allowed to eat from the child's menu.  I get that.  She's 15.  I wouldn't expect they would allow a teen to eat off the child's menu, regardless of how much food you were served.  That's skirting the intent of the rule.

But, where did she get the burger? At Teppanyaki?  I've never heard of them offering burgers, but then again, I've never ordered one there.  Were you trying to share your food with her?  That's skirting it, too.

The show part is what puzzles me.  What show are we talking about?  "She stayed for the show"?  What show?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Hmmmm....I'm lost, too.  OP...are you saying your teen daughter was trying to eat off the kids menu?  NCL said as much?  She did eat off the kids menu (Burger), but was charged?

Daughter ate off the Speciality menus on previous cruises when she was younger.  She's now a teen and not allowed to eat from the child's menu.  I get that.  She's 15.  I wouldn't expect they would allow a teen to eat off the child's menu, regardless of how much food you were served.  That's skirting the intent of the rule.

But, where did she get the burger? At Teppanyaki?  I've never heard of them offering burgers, but then again, I've never ordered one there.  Were you trying to share your food with her?  That's skirting it, too.

The show part is what puzzles me.  What show are we talking about?  "She stayed for the show"?  What show?

I think 'the show' is the chef preparing the food and the associated theatrics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I love the comments.

So my daughter gets on the ship as a child!

She cost only $200 less then us to cruise on said ship.

She gets none of the free meals, internet or $50 shore excursion money!

If you READ what I posted, she WAS NOT giving a hard time at 3 other Upgraded Restaurants!

Not sure how your family shows up at a specialty reservation? The 3 of us showed up TOGETHER! She was told she could not enter unless we paid $70!

A 15 year old girl that is about 100 pounds can't even come close to eating that much food.

For those that can eat 3 meals at Teppanyaki by yourself, good for you? NO ONE at our table finished their meal or the table across from us.

I guess you think this was our first cruise? 5th NCL, 5th time at Teppanyaki!

No charge last year or the 2 years before that.

I was trying to help other family's with future plans.

You can judge all you want!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I'm not the OP but here's what I think they are saying: if kids order from the kids menu at specialty restaurants they don't have to pay extra- in the past this has included Teppanyaki and Moderno that have a straight single fee. So they assumed they could bring their 15 year old and have her order a burger from the kids menu free of charge and not pay the $70 Teppanyaki fee. As others have pointed out 1. 15 is way too old for the kids menu, and 2. it still takes up a "seat" at the "show"- which is probably why NCL stopped allowing this practice. When they got there they made a scene about it (insisting she could join them for free), and eventually someone gave in, and allowed her to stay and have the kids burger, but at the end, they charged the fee anyway?

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Read and learn. Every dinner location has a kids menu. Parents can order off the kids menu!

Sounds like some of you have never offered your family a bite of something? OK SURE!

For those that think we stole something from NCL good for you. We have stayed in the Haven 3 times and have paid our fair share!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, rjm11 said:

I'm not the OP but here's what I think they are saying: if kids order from the kids menu at specialty restaurants they don't have to pay extra- in the past this has included Teppanyaki and Moderno that have a straight single fee. So they assumed they could bring their 15 year old and have her order a burger from the kids menu free of charge and not pay the $70 Teppanyaki fee. As others have pointed out 1. 15 is way too old for the kids menu, and 2. it still takes up a "seat" at the "show"- which is probably why NCL stopped allowing this practice. When they got there they made a scene about it (insisting she could join them for free), and eventually someone gave in, and allowed her to stay and have the kids burger, but at the end, they charged the fee anyway?

Hmmm, interesting conundrum.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

I love the comments.

So my daughter gets on the ship as a child!

She cost only $200 less then us to cruise on said ship.

She gets none of the free meals, internet or $50 shore excursion money!

If you READ what I posted, she WAS NOT giving a hard time at 3 other Upgraded Restaurants!

Not sure how your family shows up at a specialty reservation? The 3 of us showed up TOGETHER! She was told she could not enter unless we paid $70!

A 15 year old girl that is about 100 pounds can't even come close to eating that much food.

For those that can eat 3 meals at Teppanyaki by yourself, good for you? NO ONE at our table finished their meal or the table across from us.

I guess you think this was our first cruise? 5th NCL, 5th time at Teppanyaki!

No charge last year or the 2 years before that.

I was trying to help other family's with future plans.

You can judge all you want!

I weigh about 20 lbs. more than your daughter, 56 and cannot eat that all too, but I still expect to pay if I didn't have a "free" meal. Your dd did not pay a child fare to cruise. If it was a child sail free, it really is for anyone after 2 people in the cabin. I've paid full fair for my children when they were much younger than 15. Think of it as you did well at the other restaurants, they let it slide. This restaurant did not and followed the rules. Brining three people to a meal and expecting to pay for only two, I just don't understand. Yes, you did well the other places but it wasn't following protocol. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Lionkingrichard said:

So we made a scene? Grow up!

Could one of the smart people show everyone where NCL has a age restriction! When you make reservation at the specialties you have to pay in advance correct?

I'm sorry, you weren't responding to me but what would make your 15 year old teen cry. Something must have happened or escalated enough for her to cry and walk out and get a hamburger at the buffet while her parents stayed and enjoyed dinner?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Read and learn. Every dinner location has a kids menu. Parents can order off the kids menu!

Sounds like some of you have never offered your family a bite of something? OK SURE!

For those that think we stole something from NCL good for you. We have stayed in the Haven 3 times and have paid our fair share!

Sure, I understand your daughters body stature would play a part in what she can or would want to eat. My god daughter is thin as a rail and gets full from a slice of bread.

And if NCL changed the policy, I get that. I think lots of us have been bitten by changing and unannounced policies. I am sympathetic there.

I think your original post was just confusing. Don't get too defensive when the folks commenting don't know all the details.

I think this goes to a larger issue that all the cruise lines are going to have. What are the current in-place policies vs how things were done in the past or may be printed on the website.

I know last year people were very upset at Carnival when their kids club hours\program was very different in person than what was stated on the website.

I am sympathetic.

• Like 1

I'll be the contrarian.  If a passenger's kid is included at any specialty restaurant, but doesn't eat items on the regular menu, then they shouldn't have to pay anything extra unless NCL clearly posts a policy.  Just one man's opinion, and it doesn't have to be shared by anybody else.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

So we made a scene? Grow up!

Could one of the smart people show everyone where NCL has a age restriction! When you make reservation at the specialties you have to pay in advance correct?

Sure, here you go:

So many cuisines to choose from! Make dinner on every night of your cruise a delicious adventure at one of our Specialty Restaurants. Kids 12 and under eat free from the complimentary kids' menu at all specialty restaurants. Excludes dinner and a show dining events.

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/cruise-dining-and-entertainment#:~:text=Kids 12 and under eat,menu at all specialty restaurants.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Lionkingrichard said:

She orders a Burger and watches the show.

End of meal server bring 2 bills. One for $0.00, the wife and myself. One $70 and change for my Daughters Burger?!

Why do some of you think that DD went to the buffet?   She clearly stayed at Teppanyaki with DF and DM, as would be expected with any vacationing family.  Do some of you really think that the $70 bill should have been paid?

2 minutes ago, js said:

I weigh about 20 lbs. more than your daughter, 56 and cannot eat that all too, but I still expect to pay if I didn't have a "free" meal. Your dd did not pay a child fare to cruise. If it was a child sail free, it really is for anyone after 2 people in the cabin. I've paid full fair for my children when they were much younger than 15. Think of it as you did well at the other restaurants, they let it slide. This restaurant did not and followed the rules. Brining three people to a meal and expecting to pay for only two, I just don't understand. Yes, you did well the other places but it wasn't following protocol. 

Once in 5 cruises my daughter sailed free, plus taxes and port fees and DSC.

This cruise it was around $800.00 plus the DSC at the end.

In the 15 or so times we have been to specialties your saying they didn't follow protocol?

Again just trying to help other families for this change in ONE specialty Restaurant.

4 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

In the 15 or so times we have been to specialties your saying they didn't follow protocol?

Again just trying to help other families for this change in ONE specialty Restaurant.

This policy about how old before children are charged has not changed in several years.  It has been for at least 2 years to my knowledge the policy that 12 and under eat free (leading to the assumption that age 15 would have to pay).  This has been on flyers I have going back to 2021

he Whole Family Can Indulge inSPECIALTY DINING

Teppanyaki

So many cuisines to choose from! Make dinner on every night of your cruise a delicious adventure at one of our Specialty Restaurants. Kids 12 and under eat free from the complimentary kids' menu at all specialty restaurants. Excludes dinner and a show dining events.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lionkingrichard said:

So on 4 NCL cruises and always having our daughter join us and share without issue until last week.

Last week on the Escape we were told out 15 year old COULD NOT eat off the kids menu and it would cost $70 for her to join us. We explained that she had joined us in 3 other Specialties without issue that week. They said 10 and under for kids menu????

I'm sorry, but you lost me right away. How can your daughter both "share without issue" AND "eat off the kids menu"? Is she sharing what you ordered, or are you eating some of what she got from the kids menu?

And FWIW, it isn't new or hidden, in fact it is plainly posted on NCL's website

NCL.jpg.bc6fff0c2a4cb6c9f5dde6cc69fdb0d8.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

What is it exactly that you are trying to help other families?
Maybe that is what we all are trying to understand.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, js said:

I'm sorry, you weren't responding to me but what would make your 15 year old teen cry. Something must have happened or escalated enough for her to cry and walk out and get a hamburger at the buffet while her parents stayed and enjoyed dinner?

Ok let me post this so everyone can understand. We showed up and they said she couldn't go in! We had a reservation! She was embarrassed and felt bad. She is a smart, beautiful teenager and a little shy.

She did NOT go to the buffet.! She came in with us after a 5 second phone call.

It is not about the money! She simply in no way could eat that much food.

In the French Restaurant she had the Lobster Thermidor  for about $59.00

• Like 1
  • Haha 1