Teppanyaki and parents of teens watchout!

10 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

In the 15 or so times we have been to specialties your saying they didn't follow protocol?

Again just trying to help other families for this change in ONE specialty Restaurant.

They didn’t follow protocol once she turned 13 if you weren’t charged at Teppanyaki for her meal. 

This is directly from NCL’s site. It clearly states what the policy is and even shows a pic of Teppanyaki. Note it says restaurants with a show aren’t included. 

It sounds like you guys got lucky and received something you weren’t supposed to in the past.

In these financially difficult times that NCL is experiencing, they will probably be more vigilant about enforcing their own policies  which they did in your last experience there. But for $70 she should have eaten what you guys ate not just be charged that for a burger. That part is nuts.  8C31F68E-118F-4637-AD25-F7D6509FA754.thumb.jpeg.36a161456f29907f83f48211f3b101b6.jpeg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

I love the comments.

So my daughter gets on the ship as a child!

She cost only $200 less then us to cruise on said ship.

She gets none of the free meals, internet or $50 shore excursion money!

If you READ what I posted, she WAS NOT giving a hard time at 3 other Upgraded Restaurants!

Not sure how your family shows up at a specialty reservation? The 3 of us showed up TOGETHER! She was told she could not enter unless we paid $70!

A 15 year old girl that is about 100 pounds can't even come close to eating that much food.

For those that can eat 3 meals at Teppanyaki by yourself, good for you? NO ONE at our table finished their meal or the table across from us.

I guess you think this was our first cruise? 5th NCL, 5th time at Teppanyaki!

No charge last year or the 2 years before that.

I was trying to help other family's with future plans.

You can judge all you want!

I am not sure why others feel the need to "school you! ".  Thanks for posting and hopefully information for other parents taken.

So, they went against their own policy and allowed her to order off of the kids menu, which is nice, but I don’t think she should’ve been allowed to eat off of your plates (if she did). I have 5 kids (now young adults) only once did one order off of the kids menu  (middle child, she was 11), but we didn’t offer up our food. If sharing was possible I could see some of my kids ordering off the pay menu, and them sharing with siblings who ordered off the kids menu, to save $. It’s not really kids sail free, 3rd/4th in the cabin are usually included in that promo. I know on RCL it’s for those under 12.

23 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Ok let me post this so everyone can understand. We showed up and they said she couldn't go in! We had a reservation! She was embarrassed and felt bad. She is a smart, beautiful teenager and a little shy.

Again, I'm sorry, but I feel like there is either information or context that is missing here and that make this hard to understand for those of us who were not there at the time. 

Reading the quote above, one would think:

Hostess: Good Evening, Welcome to Teppanyaki, may I help you?

Guest: Yes, we have a reservation for three people.

Hostess: OK, but your child is NOT allowed to go in the restaurant.

I can't image that this is what happened, but this is what was described. I find it difficult to understand how or why the Hostess would just declare that your daughter is not permitted to enter the restaurant. Some relevant details are missing here, while other, non-relevant, details are provided as I'm certain that the fact that your daughter is smart, beautiful, and slightly shy has nothing to do with this issue.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

It sounds to me like you had a reservation for 2 but showed up with 3? Is this right? It makes no sense you showed up and they wouldn't let one of you in. I know that seats are a real premium at Teppanyaki, but this just makes no sense. Or, did you show up and say my daughter won't be eating? I'm confused.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

It sounds to me like you had a reservation for 2 but showed up with 3? Is this right? It makes no sense you showed up and they wouldn't let one of you in. I know that seats are a real premium at Teppanyaki, but this just makes no sense. Or, did you show up and say my daughter won't be eating? I'm confused.

From experience as we had our grandson (then 8 yrs old) with us last April on Pearl. 

We made a reservation for 3. When we arrived at Teppanyaki the hostess asked our room number and told us what the charge would be based on what she saw on her computer. 
We did not have any specialty dining included on that cruise so it was $210 or 70X3

Next month we’re going on the same cruise. This time we have specialty dining for me and my husband at 2 places. So we expect to be charged $70 for our now 9 yr old grandson. 

I suspect OP arrived at the restaurant, gave his room #, was told he had 2 free meals and that he would be charged $70 for the 3rd person, at which time a discussion happened which resulted in upsetting his poor daughter. 

So to the OP
If it’s not about the money, you pay the price and walk into the restaurant.

Whether or not you all can finish the food that is on your plate really doesn’t matter. 

At the end of the day was it worth arguing with them over $70 and a crying teen? Heck no!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Ya know...I usually let this kind of stuff slide.  But, I'm getting smeared here.  So...let's recap.

-Parents wanted teen daughter to eat with them in Teppanyaki for free under the "children eat free" policy because NCL let them do that when daughter was younger (and still perhaps not a child)

-Parents were angry because teen daughter, on this occasion, was not allowed to be considered a child and offered a free dinner

-Teen daughter cried but after complaining, was seated and took up an alleged paying customer's seat at Teppenyaki to "watch the show" (which I took to mean a theater show, my apology), and perhaps share parents' meal because there was so much food, but teen couldn't possibly eat that amount of food

-Parents are angry because they feel entitled given they've stayed in the Haven

-Parents are angry because they showed up at Teppenyaki but daughter did not have a reservation and (this is where it gets sketchy again) was not allowed to sit at their table?  Was allowed to sit and watch the chef prepare a meal at the table?  Was charged for a burger?

Trying to extrapolate the story here, but it's difficult as the facts (or lack thereof) are hard to separate from the complaint.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Ok let me post this so everyone can understand. We showed up and they said she couldn't go in! We had a reservation! She was embarrassed and felt bad. She is a smart, beautiful teenager and a little shy.

She did NOT go to the buffet.! She came in with us after a 5 second phone call.

It is not about the money! She simply in no way could eat that much food.

In the French Restaurant she had the Lobster Thermidor  for about $59.00

Sorry, but she can't eat all at Tappenaki but she can eat Lobster Thermidor?

Happy you were able to get the other restaurants to give you a pass so you should be thankful

for that. I'm just trying to figure out what you would like other parents to learn from you?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lionkingrichard said:

So on 4 NCL cruises and always having our daughter join us and share without issue until last week.

Last week on the Escape we were told out 15 year old COULD NOT eat off the kids menu and it would cost $70 for her to join us. We explained that she had joined us in 3 other Specialties without issue that week. They said 10 and under for kids menu????

I will tell you 3 full meals could feed 5 people without issue.

Is this what  you're trying to say:  That you and your wife and your daughter have been going to specialty restaurants.  You and your wife each pay for your meals and share your meals with your daughter. IOW, the three of  you have been eating at specialty restaurants and only paying for two meals.  The japanese steak house didn't want to give up three of their limited seating for three only paying for two.  

I can understand your logic in that since you only ordered two meals (2 appetizers, two entree's, and 2 desserts) you should only pay for two meals.  That logic doesn't work in the steak house since the three of you are taking up three stools.  If you only pay for two meals, then you've cost the steak house the price of a regular dinner.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, js said:

Sorry, but she can't eat all at Tappenaki but she can eat Lobster Thermidor?

Happy you were able to get the other restaurants to give you a pass so you should be thankful

for that. I'm just trying to figure out what you would like other parents to learn from you?

Then there is the lesson he's teaching his daughter.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I would never let my 11+ yr olds order from a kids menu.  First, kid menu food is yucky and my kids would never eat that over the adult menu. Second, I find it cheap and rude to have a 15 yr old or an adult order from a kid menu. If she didn’t want to eat Teppanyaki, why would you have her use a seat? You could have gone as a couple on a date? Let her eat a burger n fries in buffet?

• Like 3

So, Again...Sometimes rules are bent by some staff but the Printed rules for Specialty dining rooms are 12 and under, so you should go in with the expectation of paying. As far as allowing a 15 year old to order off a kids menu,  if a 15 year old can legally get behind the wheel of a car they should not be able to order off a kids menu. 

45 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Ya know...I usually let this kind of stuff slide.  But, I'm getting smeared here.  So...let's recap.

-Parents wanted teen daughter to eat with them in Teppanyaki for free under the "children eat free" policy because NCL let them do that when daughter was younger (and still perhaps not a child)

-Parents were angry because teen daughter, on this occasion, was not allowed to be considered a child and offered a free dinner

-Teen daughter cried but after complaining, was seated and took up an alleged paying customer's seat at Teppenyaki to "watch the show" (which I took to mean a theater show, my apology), and perhaps share parents' meal because there was so much food, but teen couldn't possibly eat that amount of food

-Parents are angry because they feel entitled given they've stayed in the Haven

-Parents are angry because they showed up at Teppenyaki but daughter did not have a reservation and (this is where it gets sketchy again) was not allowed to sit at their table?  Was allowed to sit and watch the chef prepare a meal at the table?  Was charged for a burger?

Trying to extrapolate the story here, but it's difficult as the facts (or lack thereof) are hard to separate from the complaint.

I think you’ve got almost everything sorted out except who’s on 1st?🤔🤭

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Much ado about nothing.

My takeaways are:

1. We’ve stayed in the Haven 3 times, and 

2. His daughter is smart and beautiful.

🙄🙄

This is shocking!

Don't most parents think their kids are ugly and dumb? 😁

• Haha 10

Thanks for the heads up that a policy is now being strictly enforced. But an exception should be treated as that, and not the expected norm. Boo on you for causing a situation that distressed your daughter. 

3 hours ago, rjm11 said:

I'm not the OP but here's what I think they are saying: if kids order from the kids menu at specialty restaurants they don't have to pay extra- in the past this has included Teppanyaki and Moderno that have a straight single fee. So they assumed they could bring their 15 year old and have her order a burger from the kids menu free of charge and not pay the $70 Teppanyaki fee. As others have pointed out 1. 15 is way too old for the kids menu, and 2. it still takes up a "seat" at the "show"- which is probably why NCL stopped allowing this practice. When they got there they made a scene about it (insisting she could join them for free), and eventually someone gave in, and allowed her to stay and have the kids burger, but at the end, they charged the fee anyway?

Thank you for explaining.   It sort of makes sense what you are saying.  However if the burger came from the child menu, what does it have to do with the buffet (that was mentioned).  I do agree that a children's menu is not meant for a 15 year old especially if they shared from your plate.  IMHO a children's menu is for a toddler i.e. chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, cookie.  A minor should be able to sit with their parents no matter what.  However since the child was charged, some food from that restaurant had to be consumed.  

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

Thank you for explaining.   It sort of makes sense what you are saying.  However if the burger came from the child menu, what does it have to do with the buffet (that was mentioned).  I do agree that a children's menu is not meant for a 15 year old especially if they shared from your plate.  IMHO a children's menu is for a toddler i.e. chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, cookie.  A minor should be able to sit with their parents no matter what.  However since the child was charged, some food from that restaurant had to be consumed.  

I understand where you say that a child should be able to sit, but specialty restaurants charge and a seat taken up to someone not spending money loses money for the cruise line. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

A minor should be able to sit with their parents no matter what. 

If the 15 year old is going to take up a paying seat, then no, they shouldn't be allowed to sit with their parents. A 15 year old is old enough to pay the cover charge, eat the food, and deal with it (more likely I'm talking about the parents, than the kid). Or, let the child go to the buffet. Surely they're old enough to do so. Heck, NYC middle schoolers go to school on their own every day. 

Teppanyaki makes money based on how many seats they turn over. If a non-paying seat is taken, then the money available to NCL is less, therefore decreasing profit margin, and potentially harming the business. This isn't really a concern at any other NCL specialty restaurants.

• Like 2