Soda Package Gone?

Raxter54

Something strange is going on 🤔 I purchased the Soda package for Deb and I for our Feb 2024 cruise on the Apex. Just got on the Celebrity website to see if the price for the Soda package had dropped (so I could cancel and rebook at the lower price). But... no Soda package is showing up for purchase, only two different drinks packages and a non-alcoholic drinks package. Glad we booked it when we did. Makes me wonder what kind of package will be offered to us when we board....

I was disappointed that the soda package was no longer offered as well. I don't drink tea or coffee so the non alchol package had no value for me. I was on a cruise 2 weeks ago and a can of coke is $4.80! $4.00 for Coke + .80 gratuity. 

9 minutes ago, read2learn said:

I was disappointed that the soda package was no longer offered as well. I don't drink tea or coffee so the non alchol package had no value for me. I was on a cruise 2 weeks ago and a can of coke is $4.80! $4.00 for Coke + .80 gratuity. 

Doing away with a $9 dollar a day soda package and replacing it with a $30 a day non-alcoholic package seems like a money grab to me.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, read2learn said:

Quick question - what sodas are available on the Apex? DW will be disappointed if they don't have Dr Pepper or Mr Pibb...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Raxter54 said:
But... no Soda package is showing up for purchase, only two different drinks packages and a non-alcoholic drinks package. 

That is so discriminatory against teetotalers. I'm sure I won't get my full value with a zero-proof package. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raxter54 said:

Quick question - what sodas are available on the Apex? DW will be disappointed if they don't have Dr Pepper or Mr Pibb...

Dr Pepper is abundantly available outside the south. Even at the theme parks in Florida, you are stuck with Coke or Pepsi, no DP. The ones that carry Coke products do not usually have Mr Pibb either. It's the price we pay to travel I guess. Luckily, I can get as much as I want, being in Texas.

48 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

That is so discriminatory against teetotalers. I'm sure I won't get my full value with a zero-proof package. 

🙄next someone will want a discount because although there is a pool, they don't use it. Discriminating against non-swimmers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, soniam said:

Dr Pepper is abundantly available outside the south. Even at the theme parks in Florida, you are stuck with Coke or Pepsi, no DP. The ones that carry Coke products do not usually have Mr Pibb either. It's the price we pay to travel I guess. Luckily, I can get as much as I want, being in Texas.

That’s strange.  The Free Style soda machines on Royal Caribbean had Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper.  These are Coco-Cola machines and RCI, like Celebrity, sodas are primarily Coco-Cola based drinks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raxter54 said:

There has never been Dr Pepper or Mr Pibb on Celebrity Cruises only Coke products. They have Coke - Sprite and Fanta Orange 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Z'Loth said:

That is so discriminatory against teetotalers.

I hardly think so.  A drink package is $109 per person per day + 20% more for gratuities.

Just part of the crazy pricing for add ons X has adopted.

Edited by NMTraveller

44 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

That’s strange.  The Free Style soda machines on Royal Caribbean had Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper.  These are Coco-Cola machines and RCI, like Celebrity, sodas are primarily Coco-Cola based drinks. 

Dr Pepper is bottled under contract with different bottlers, depending on the market.  Sometimes it's with a Pepsi bottler and sometimes a Coke bottler and sometimes an independent bottler.  A merger with Coke was stopped in the 90s.  The freestyle machine availability is done under a separate license agreement.  Same with fountain choices.  I guess the supplier that Celebrity works with doesn't have access to Dr Pepper or they choose to not carry it on the ships. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

I wish they had just a coffee package.  Don't drink soda unless it has booze in it.

IIRC they had that before but ALL these niche packages have been discontinued now in favor of the three main packages (PREM ALC, CLASSIC ALC, ZERO PROOF).

22 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

That's good to know. I don't usually drink soda. I don't remember seeing DP in a Free Style machine before. As another poster pointed out, DP is not a Coke product but may be bottled by a coke plant.

For us, alcohol packages = slow death sentence; yet we love their prices as the sales subsidize the rest of the ship.  Similarly, zero proof package prices don't make much sense either - but they serve a greater purpose.😀

I imagine the soda package was one that actually made economic sense to buy, and hence they had to shelve it.

Edited by intr3pid

20 minutes ago, intr3pid said:

For us, alcohol packages = slow death sentence; yet we love their prices as the sales subsidize the rest of the ship.  Similarly, zero proof package prices don't make much sense either - but they serve a greater purpose.😀

I imagine the soda package was one that actually made economic sense to buy, and hence they had to shelve it.

The beverage packages got way out of hand. It makes perfect sense to have non-alcohol, classic and premium.  Trying to personalize so that each person only gets what they will actually use is ridiculous. When you take a cruise, you either buy into an all-included experience or go do something else for vacation. IMO

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

The beverage packages got way out of hand. It makes perfect sense to have non-alcohol, classic and premium.  Trying to personalize so that each person only gets what they will actually use is ridiculous. When you take a cruise, you either buy into an all-included experience or go do something else for vacation. IMO

No. You buy the basic package, and add on what you will need/use, then go sailing. IMO....

• Like 2