Best airport for a Brooklyn departure

DrTee

Flying in September a day early, staying in Brooklyn for Its proximity to pier.  I’m wondering which airport is best in terms of transport to Brooklyn.  I’m mobility impaired, so I’ll be taking a taxi/Uber/car service, not a train. 

12 minutes ago, DrTee said:

Flying in September a day early, staying in Brooklyn for Its proximity to pier.  I’m wondering which airport is best in terms of transport to Brooklyn.  I’m mobility impaired, so I’ll be taking a taxi/Uber/car service, not a train. 

LGA should be your first choice.  It's the closest to downtown  Brooklyn  and the port area in Red Hook so ground transportation costs will be the lowest. 

JFK second.

EWR only if airfare is so much cheaper than using the other two that it will make up for higher ground transportation costs.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Those living in Southern Brooklyn and Queens say JFK...

Other opinions will state personal preference...

Also depends on the lodging you selected. 

Perhaps one should not assume folks living in Southern Brooklyn and Queens are well informed.  It is close to 19 miles from JFK to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal vs. about 12 miles from LGA.    Geography is not really a matter of "personal preference".

Edited by navybankerteacher

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps one should not assume folks living in Southern Brooklyn and Queens are well informed.  It is close to 19 miles from JFK to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal vs. about 12 miles from LGA.    Geography is not really a matter of "personal preference".

Pardon for personal opinion but more straight shot than Brooklyn/Queens, more construction, industrial route, etc.....

But you are certainly allowed your opinion. 

From Southern Brooklyn to Connecticut.....

Have a Fine Sunday....

• Like 1

I live on the south shore of Long Island With one exception we have only flown out of JFK and flown into JFK.Many years ago I flew by myself to Texas and I flew from LaGuardia.When I lived in southern Brooklyn I also only flew in and out of JFK. 

• Thanks 1

The OP doesn't  live in Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island or anywhere else in the NY metropolitan area. They're flying to New York to take a cruise that leaves from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. 

What  may be the closest airport to anyone's NYC area home, unless that home is in or near Red Hook or Downtown Brooklyn is completely irrelevant to the OP'S needs and question. 

The question wasn't which airport is closest to your home. It was which airport was best to use if you're going to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal or a nearby hotel.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 1:25 PM, DrTee said:

If you are not looking for pre-cruise entertainment - just arriving the day before, and getting a meal and some sleep before taking an Uber to the ship the next day - you may want to consider the 'TWA Hotel' at JFK. That way you only need to wrestle your bags into a car or van once, for the trip the pier. 

See the hotel's 'accessibility' page at https://www.twahotel.com/accessibility  

• Thanks 1

For simplicity, OP probably will be flying from nearby Dallas/Ft. Worth - plenty of airlines and flight options ... (non-stops and 1-stop hub connection) - pricing & availability on date of traffic ahead of the cruise, should help narrow the choices - plus, preference for hotel stay & whether sightseeing is planned, and, whether they wish to catch a Broadway show and/or dine out nicely in town.  

Alas, there is no "right" answer and plenty of personal opinions.  LGA has been fully modernized in 2022 and it is now much nicer to use - closest to us but I am biased toward using JFK, further away & more pricey for ground transportation - safety-wise, JFK has longer runways for long-haul (not just international) flights and ILS.  LGA has the shorter runway and a short 10 to 15 minutes drive, curbside to curbside and convenient - more likely to be affected by adverse weather with delays & cancellations.  

Still undecided, do a coin toss. 

On 3/4/2023 at 1:37 PM, njhorseman said:

LGA should be your first choice. It's the closest to downtown Brooklyn * * * JFK second.

We don't know if the destination hotel is downtown or elsewhere in Brooklyn. It is likely that LaGuardia would ordinarily be first choice, but I don't think that John F. Kennedy International is that far behind. If there is a good cost or time savings, Kennedy might be a better choice. Newark Liberty is much further behind both LaGuardia and Kennedy in its convenience to Brooklyn.