Cruising Alone? Safe or Questionable?

27 minutes ago, pcur said:
  On 3/7/2023 at 9:26 AM, Jimbo said:

Talk to me about the train ride on Amtrak, did you travel in Coach or Business? I traveled in Coach; senior rate that cost me $25 from Baltimore Penn to Newark Penn. We are most likely going to take Amtrak(Northeast Corridor) Business from Roanoke to Newark Penn Station. Is that where you got off the train at?

Were your bags safe, did you keep them at the front of the train or all your bags in the overhead?I put them in the luggage area of the train car I was sitting in, and sat where I could see them.  The overhead storage is dinky:  small backpack, purse, kind of dinky. Little concerned because ours is a 14 day cruise so we will have 3 larger suitcases that won't fit in the overhead area. They were in my line of sight the whole time.

Hoping we will also have some help getting off the train in Newark, shouldn't have a real issue in Roanoke  getting on because that is where the train originates  from so should be plenty of room for our  larger bags. Find a Red Cap as soon as you get to the station who can help getting your bags on the train.  When you stop at the end, be ready to get them off by moving them to the door, but the train will be sitting there at Newark for at least 10-15 minutes, and I think the Red Caps will be out at the track, too.

If so did you go the day before your cruise, what hotel did you stay at? how much from hotel to ship in Bayonne, Taxi or Uber? Yes, went in the day before and stayed at the Tryp Hotel.  Nice place and great restaurant in the hotel with a daily "real" breakfast buffet.  Dinner is very good, too.  Dutch's Restaurant:

Image result for restaurant in the Tryp HOtel Newark

Uber fare from Newark Penn to hotel was about $15, but the hotel has a shuttle that picks up/drops off at Amtrak Penn Newark.  I didn't use it because I didn't know it was complimentary. Uber to the port is about $25.

Thanks for all the info, just what row and which side of the train still gives you a pretty clear line of sight to see your luggage at all times. Right now we are in Row 8 in Business class but I can go in and change our seats? Was there 2 seats on each side of the train you were in?

Check out reviews of that hotel you mentioned , The reviews weren't that good at all on Tripadvisor, just how long ago did you stay there. Do you remember the month?

TRYP by Wyndham Newark Downtown

24 East Park Street, Newark, New Jersey 07102

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks for all the info, just what row and which side of the train still gives you a pretty clear line of sight to see your luggage at all times. Right now we are in Row 8 in Business class but I can go in and change our seats? Was there 2 seats on each side of the train you were in? Yes. There is luggage storage on both ends of the car.  Row 8 is mid-car.

Northeast Regional Business Class Seat Diagram

You can always check your bags, too.

Check out reviews of that hotel you mentioned , The reviews weren't that good at all on Tripadvisor, just how long ago did you stay there. Do you remember the month?

I was at the Tryp on 2/4/23, and 2/12/23.  I had no problems.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks for all the info, just what row and which side of the train still gives you a pretty clear line of sight to see your luggage at all times. Right now we are in Row 8 in Business class but I can go in and change our seats? Was there 2 seats on each side of the train you were in?

There is Hilton Doubletree connected to Newark Penn. I have not read recent reviews but it was okay when I stayed there 9 years ago. 

The problem with answering the question of 2 seats on each side and keeping luggage in sight is that there are full Busness class cars and some half busness class cars that have 1x2 seating and a cafe area. So the suggestion that was made of having a Red Cap or station services at your boarding station is a good one. They can pre board you. 

46 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There is Hilton Doubletree connected to Newark Penn. I have not read recent reviews but it was okay when I stayed there 9 years ago. 

The problem with answering the question of 2 seats on each side and keeping luggage in sight is that there are full Busness class cars and some half busness class cars that have 1x2 seating and a cafe area. So the suggestion that was made of having a Red Cap or station services at your boarding station is a good one. They can pre board you. 

This station in Roanoke may only be a platform where this train originates from so no red cap service,really not concerned when getting on...like someone said though when getting off may only be a 1 or 2 minute stop to get my Wife off and bags.

This train that I have reserved seats in had like 16 rows or so,so I think that is a full car but maybe not,picked the middle of train I was told for smoother ride,not over the wheels.

As far as Double tree Hilton,it's much more expensive for a 16 hour stay.

59 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

This station in Roanoke may only be a platform where this train originates from so no red cap service,really not concerned when getting on...like someone said though when getting off may only be a 1 or 2 minute stop to get my Wife off and bags.

This train that I have reserved seats in had like 16 rows or so,so I think that is a full car but maybe not,picked the middle of train I was told for smoother ride,not over the wheels.

As far as Double tree Hilton,it's much more expensive for a 16 hour stay.

That is a full Busness Class with 2 seats on each side. Put your bags in the luggage area at the front of the car and you will be able to keep an eye on them. The only possible issue is if someone takes your bag by mistake. As they all look alike. Your bag could fit overhead. It depends on the size. I have had no problems with 24 inch luggage. The weight may be an issue for you putting them overhead.  Also if the Busness Class is the  first car and right behind the engine then take your bags to the rear of the car for .your exit at Newark. As for the expense of the Doubletree or other hotels I personally would not book a cheap hotel in Newark. You should also factor in the expense of getting from the train station to a hotel. The Doubletree is connected to the station so no Uber or taxi needed. You should ask about Hotels on the East Coast departure board if you have not already. 

Edited by Charles4515

49 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That is a full Busness Class with 2 seats on each side. Put your bags in the luggage area at the front of the car and you will be able to keep an eye on them. The only possible issue is if someone takes your bag by mistake. As they all look alike. Your bag could fit overhead. It depends on the size. I have had no problems with 24 inch luggage. The weight may be an issue for you putting them overhead.  Also if the Busness Class is the  first car and right behind the engine then take your bags to the rear of the car for .your exit at Newark. As for the expense of the Doubletree or other hotels I personally would not book a cheap hotel in Newark. You should also factor in the expense of getting from the train station to a hotel. The Doubletree is connected to the station so no Uber or taxi needed. You should ask about Hotels on the East Coast departure board if you have not already. 

Thinking about getting 4 ft luggage cable and tie my 3 larger bags together. I don't believe with a cable through each handle someone would try to drag off 3 bags cabled together would they.  That surely would gain attention.  I could even cable them around one of the bars in the luggage area.

Probably will end up spending the extra $150 for DoubleTree Newark Penn Station.

Edited by Jimbo

As a 50 something female, here are my thoughts... I wouldn't hesitate to sail by myself. I've never felt unsafe ON the ship. Now going off the ship by myself is a different story.  Not sure I would do that.  I'm adventurous, but only to a point. I would probably either stay on the ship (which I do enjoy) or do a ship excursion.

As far as pricing, I'm getting ready to head out on a cruise with my daughter and her boyfriend.  The pricing for us was exactly as I've always heard it is. I'm paying for two since I'm taking the entire cabin for myself. My fare is slightly cheaper because I don't have to pay double taxes/port fees, for the same category cabin.

I've been sailing alone for over a year now (husband passed away) and feel perfectly safe on the ship.  I tend cruise to places that I have been to lots of times so I usually don't venture very far out.  

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 7:12 PM, PrincessPatti said:

IBy the way, on Royal, only one person in the cabin must buy the drink package.  You just need to call to place the order.  You can still cruise with your friends if that is what is holding them back.

Are you sure - RCL website reads:  The Deluxe Beverage Package policy requires all guests wishing to purchase the Deluxe Beverage Package to do so for ALL guests of legal drinking age in the same stateroom.  Maybe they've changed?

On 3/8/2023 at 6:19 PM, Jimbo said:

Thinking about getting 4 ft luggage cable and tie my 3 larger bags together. I don't believe with a cable through each handle someone would try to drag off 3 bags cabled together would they.  That surely would gain attention.  I could even cable them around one of the bars in the luggage area.

Probably will end up spending the extra $150 for DoubleTree Newark Penn Station.

There are lots of hotels/motels in the Newark/Elizabeth area especially on Route 1 corridor that you can select.  Some may even provide shuttle service from Penn Station.

17 hours ago, mitz18 said:

Are you sure - RCL website reads:  The Deluxe Beverage Package policy requires all guests wishing to purchase the Deluxe Beverage Package to do so for ALL guests of legal drinking age in the same stateroom.  Maybe they've changed?

Answered

Edited by crzndeb