Are Cruise Lines Providing Extra Security for Excursions in Mazatlan?

GWNiemi

We will be on Celebrity Solstice next week.  We are considering a ship's walking tour in Mazatlan.  We see that that the US has a red "Do Not Go" travel advisory for the state of Sinaloa.  Have any of the cruise lines been providing extra security for their excursions in Mexico, and especially in Mazatlan?  Your feedback here will be greatly appreciated.

Gunnar Niemi

Emeryville, CA

The tourist area of Mazatlan is absolutely safe. We were just there in January and had or felt no concerns at all. In fact all the Mexican Riviera tourist ports we visit are fine. This warning gets over blown often.

To answer the OP's question:  I do not know of any "extra security" being provided by cruise lines.  In fact, I am not aware of any security being provided by cruise lines for the excursions.  

You might want to compare the crime stats for Mazatlan and SF or Oakland.

I was in Mazatlan this past Feb and it felt very safe. We asked our driver about the violence and he reassured us that Mazatlan is very safe. The drug violence is several hours drive north of the city.

The only thing you will have to worry about is the beach vendors interrupting your patio lunch. They are relentless!

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

If the safety situation was bad, they would cancel the stop before putting security on tours.

We've been on a number of tours in various places including some in Mexico where there were security personnel that accompanied the tour .

13 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

You might want to compare the crime stats for Mazatlan and SF or Oakland.

Actually, these have been rated in dozens of websites that review crime rates as the 10 most dangerous cities in the US. You can compare Mazatlan with any of these and you'll be OK. 

1. Memphis, Tennessee
  2. St. Louis, Missouri
  3. Oakland, California
  4. Albuquerque, New Mexico
  5. Baltimore, Maryland
  6. New Orleans, Louisiana 
  7. Detroit, Michigan
  8. Lubbock, Texas
  9. Chicago, Illinois
  10. Stockton, California
Edited by PRNole47

4 hours ago, PRNole47 said:

Actually, these have been rated in dozens of websites that review crime rates as the 10 most dangerous cities in the US. You can compare Mazatlan with any of these and you'll be OK. 

1. Memphis, Tennessee
  2. St. Louis, Missouri
  3. Oakland, California
  4. Albuquerque, New Mexico
  5. Baltimore, Maryland
  6. New Orleans, Louisiana 
  7. Detroit, Michigan
  8. Lubbock, Texas
  9. Chicago, Illinois
  10. Stockton, California

blows my mind that Lubbock, Texas is more dangerous than Chicago, Illinois

49 minutes ago, ikirumata said:

blows my mind that Lubbock, Texas is more dangerous than Chicago, Illinois

Several of these rankings are shocking (who's have thunk of Albuquerque???).  But I referenced Oakland and SF in reply to the original post because the OP is a Californian.  Those two cities seemed the most appropriate given the OP's location.

And now, more Mexican crime in the news.  But not a cruise port.

14 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Several of these rankings are shocking (who's have thunk of Albuquerque???).  But I referenced Oakland and SF in reply to the original post because the OP is a Californian.  Those two cities seemed the most appropriate given the OP's location.

I think it’s a good reminder of our threshold of what we think crime is.

In my short Mazatlan experience last month, I never felt like I was unsafe, especially in the old town or malecon areas. I can’t speak to what happens after dark, but during a normal cruise tourist day, doing normal cruise tourist activities, Mazatlan seemed very safe.  

• Like 1

Hi OP. We are staying in Mazatlan right now for 2 weeks and we feel completely safe coming here.  I wouldn't necessarily rent a vehicle on my own and go out to the countryside or to Culiacan right now, but we walk all over town on our own, grocery shop, and take the busses regularly without issue. It's as safe as any other city of 1/2 million. You'll have a nice time on your tours.  Just fyi, Canada gov't website says "Sinoloa as a state should be a no go for non-essential travel EXCEPT Mazatlan."  There's a ton of older folks from all over who are staying for the winter and doing fine.  

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Spent last week in Mazatlan at the Riu Palace, just got back Sunday May 14. We took the local busses (cheap way to get around) and the Pulmonias. We ate at our favorite seafood restaurant (Los Arcos), went to several beaches and poked around in the little shops on the street. We had a great time as always, been to Mazatlan many times over the years. (my wife is from there). We do try to stay aware of our surroundings and check if anyone seems overly interested in us or is following us. (hasn't happened) I would say that even though bad things can happen anywhere we've always felt very safe in Mazatlan.