Carnival Vacation Protection vs. other trip insurance

MistyRo76

Hello all! Just booked a cruise for October and am looking at insurance options. I am rather new to the trip protection game! Took my 19th Carnival cruise last October and it was the first time that I purchased Carnival's Vacation Protection. I was a young (mostly) and dumb traveler before and thought nothing could possibly happen. But since COVID plus having had multiple I've traveled with need to visit the infirmary for illness/injury, or having had friends/family need to cancel cruises for a multitude of reasons over the last few years, I've opened my eyes to the importance of it. For my last cruise, I just purchased Carnival's Vacation Protection, plus individual trip protection from the airlines for my flights. 

This time around, I want to look at other vendors for insurance. But there are a ton of options out there. For those that have used both Carnival's Vacation Protection and purchased insurance through other vendors, what have you found to be the biggest differences between them? How has pricing compared? Anything particular I should look out for when purchasing third party insurance? I should also note that we are driving to the port, so we don't have to worry about refunds on flights if we have to cancel. Our main out of pocket costs that should be covered are the cruise itself and our pre-cruise accommodations. 

Any tips, recommendations would be much appreciated! 

Other companies tend to be more comprehensive, and you can include things like your airfare/travel to and from the cruise, anything you've booked separately yourself outside of Carnival. They tend to be less expensive and/or a better value than what the cruise line offers. If you go third party, just make sure that it specifically covers cruise vacations and covid related cancellations/expenses as not all regular policies do.

43 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

Hello all! Just booked a cruise for October and am looking at insurance options. I am rather new to the trip protection game! Took my 19th Carnival cruise last October and it was the first time that I purchased Carnival's Vacation Protection. I was a young (mostly) and dumb traveler before and thought nothing could possibly happen. But since COVID plus having had multiple I've traveled with need to visit the infirmary for illness/injury, or having had friends/family need to cancel cruises for a multitude of reasons over the last few years, I've opened my eyes to the importance of it. For my last cruise, I just purchased Carnival's Vacation Protection, plus individual trip protection from the airlines for my flights. 

This time around, I want to look at other vendors for insurance. But there are a ton of options out there. For those that have used both Carnival's Vacation Protection and purchased insurance through other vendors, what have you found to be the biggest differences between them? How has pricing compared? Anything particular I should look out for when purchasing third party insurance? I should also note that we are driving to the port, so we don't have to worry about refunds on flights if we have to cancel. Our main out of pocket costs that should be covered are the cruise itself and our pre-cruise accommodations. 

Here is the forum where you want to ask/research this issue.  Lots of great info to peruse.  Link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

• Like 1

Cruise line insurance

Good - Includes CFAR with cancellation up to scheduled sailing time. Price is not based on age.

Bad - Medical coverage is too low for my liking. Medical coverage is considered secondary. No pre-existing medical condition waiver for you or for non-traveling family members. The cruise line sells the insurance (and makes a nice commission on it) but will offer no assistance when it comes to filing a claim.

I personally recommend using a broker that offers various policies that will fit various needs. I use Steve at https://www.TripInsuranceStore.com.

You can either apply for 1 oh his policies on line, or you are welcome to call and ask all sorts of questions.

• Like 1

I use Squaremouth.com

They have a good search engine, so you have tons of choices.  They also have a free advocate service that will help you if you need to file a claim 

I got stuck in Europe last year because I tested positive for Covid and I wasn't allowed to get onto the plain back to the United States.  I submitted my very organized, complete claim within a week of getting back, and got no determination for over 2 months. I contacted the agency, and the check was cut within a week.

3 hours ago, MistyRo76 said:

We get a yearly policy from Allianz-around $485 for 2-if you are over 65 your health insurance does not cover you outside of the US so insurance is definitely needed. Allianz is great to work with. Just had to file a claim for delayed luggage.

Policy coverage is ever changing and is different from state to state. It would behoove anyone interested in travel insurance to closely read the actual documents that the insurance carrier provides you with, rather than secondhand information on the internet that could well be inaccurate in regards to your specific circumstance.

We learned about www.TripInsuranceStore.com here on CC almost 10 years ago.  And thank goodness!  We were planning a big (and very expensive for us, back then) cruise, business air, and extra hotel nights, all prepaid.  Two weeks before our planned departure, DH had a medical emergency, and the only "traveling" we did was to and from medical appointments.  But we got every cent back!

(If we hadn't, we'd probably have been so shell shocked $$$ in addition to the medical scare, that we may never have planned another "nice" trip again.  Instead, we planned more trips, including some even more special (=$$$$!) trips, and we have been having the time of our lives.

In addition to that first big claim, we've had several other claims, unfortunately, but at least all of our money has been paid in those claims, too.  I wish we hadn't needed to make those claims, but alas, "life happened"...

We worked through TIS and purchased policies from Travel Insured, and they have been very easy to work with come claims time, and that's what matters, after all...

TIS will ask you some questions as well as answer your questions, to try to help you get the best policy for *your* needs.  They don't oversell.  (Once, Steve, the owner, actually talked us out of buying a policy for one specific trip - that was quite a surprise.  He had learned enough about us from our claims, so he asked a few questions and then pointed out *why* we did NOT need a special travel policy for this one trip.  I never forgot that. He could so easily have just sold us another policy, and we'd never have realized why we didn't need that specific one...)

They'll also help with claims, in case that is ever needed.

GC

• 2 weeks later...