What Kind of Evening Entertainment Would You Like To See on Seabourn Ships?

SLSD

Not everyone attends entertainment in the Grand Salon in the evenings.  In fact, my husband attends only because he knows I enjoy it.  At the same time, I've found the Tim Rice Show to be a bit tired now and some of the other shows seem hopelessly old fashioned and dated.  I am in no way disparaging the Seabourn Singers and Dancers and they have almost always been excellent and talented  and great fun to get to know. 

But--I would like to know--what kind of entertainment would YOU like to see on Seabourn ships?

I am a huge jazz fan--so I know I would love to see some great improvisational jazz musicians--playing all kinds of instruments.  This would be perfect for the Observation Bar and for the TK Grill Bar on Encore and Ovation.  I would love to hear real cutting edge stuff--not easy listening elevator jazz. 

And if we want to look to the past, give me a great Burt Bacharach retrospective.  So many songs to choose from.  

What about you?

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

Oh yes to some jazz!

On our last cruise (Grand Pacific last autumn) there was a fabulous saxophinist, so talented.  I used to ask for music that highlighted his skills!  

He was a lovely guy.  Interestingly, he only met his 'band mates' when he joined but real musicians can just make great music!  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

Oh yes to some jazz!

On our last cruise (Grand Pacific last autumn) there was a fabulous saxophinist, so talented.  I used to ask for music that highlighted his skills!  

He was a lovely guy.  Interestingly, he only met his 'band mates' when he joined but real musicians can just make great music!  

There are so many great musicians out there who would love to entertain.  Years ago, we had a nextdoor neighbor who was a music professor at a local university (jazz).  I could go out into our garden and listen to him playing at his house.  He moved on to another university and is recently retired.  He is well known and can be heard performing on youtube.  He is now retired and performing.  THIS is the kind of musician that would really add to the SB experience. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

None of the above 😁

So--what would you like to see?  I would also like to see young up and coming musicians--jazz and other genres.  Just not Broadway show tunes and elevator music please.  

Edited by SLSD

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

So--what would you like to see?  I would also like to see young up and coming musicians--jazz and other genres.  Just not Broadway show tunes and elevator music please.  

I rarely go to any shows.

Living in London I have great theatre,opera,concerts and shows of the best quality.

On a cruise ship you will not see the greatest quality.

I tend to have a late dinner and finish around 22.30-45.

I do like to listen to a pianist whilst having a drink before dinner in the TK bar and I like a supper club duo on Silversea after dinner.

Jazz and easy listening suit me fine on a ship.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I rarely go to any shows.

Living in London I have great theatre,opera,concerts and shows of the best quality.

On a cruise ship you will not see the greatest quality.

I tend to have a late dinner and finish around 22.30-45.

I do like to listen to a pianist whilst having a drink before dinner in the TK bar and I like a supper club duo on Silversea after dinner.

Jazz and easy listening suit me fine on a ship.

OK. I recognize that a SB ship is not the London theater or opera--but it still can be enjoyable.  I'm just hoping to move beyond the tired Tim Rice show and old show tunes.  Easy listening is ok sometimes--but I really prefer jazz that is a bit more current.  

And, I don't really want to hear opera on a ship anyway.  Others may disagree.  

Edited by SLSD

3 minutes ago, SLSD said:

OK. I recognize that a SB ship is not the London theater or opera--but it still can be enjoyable.  I'm just hoping to move beyond the tired Tim Rice show and old show tunes.  Easy listening is ok sometimes--but I really prefer jazz that is a bit more current.  

And, I don't really want to hear opera on a ship anyway.  Others may disagree.  

The ship I enjoy but not a tired second rate show or a comedian who's act was ok twenty years ago.

Also if you sail regularly then you get the same old same old for a couple of years.  

I am used to top class entertainment at home and I know the limitations of cruise ship entertainment.

24 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

The ship I enjoy but not a tired second rate show or a comedian who's act was ok twenty years ago.

Also if you sail regularly then you get the same old same old for a couple of years.  

I am used to top class entertainment at home and I know the limitations of cruise ship entertainment.

That's exactly what I am saying Mr. Luxury--and asking for suggestions for alternatives.  Yes, there are limitations--but I can imagine some great alternatives---some very talented musicians of different genres.  Maybe not of interest to you--but I would love some real cutting edge jazz.  Maybe there are other things people would enjoy.  

Yes, I've heard Tim Rice umpteen times now--and all the rest.  Maybe it won't be London or NYC caliber entertainment--but there are some great musicians out there that are not easy listening.  You will still be at dinner anyway.  

• Like 1

Just finished a Windstar cruise and when compared to Seabourn, the entertainment on Seabourn undoubtedly blows it out park. I agree it could use a refresh and they could tighten up their offering, and any of the suggestions would be great. But just looking at quality of performers and options offered, it’s far better than the hat you’d find on Windstar. I found myself longing to be on Seabourn and can’t wait for my upcoming Greek tour this September. 

Reading what I've read on the Explora board, the planned entertainment is much more up my alley.

Contract with Steinway, four lounges with some sort of low key entertainment.  No showrooms.

In process of completing a third booking with Explora that will include the Christmas holiday season.

• Like 1

I never go to the theatres on board  and hate any loud and / or intrusive music in bars etc. Music is subjective and it can be so easy to irritate someone with overly loud music that is not to their taste. That, to me, is not entertainment.

• Like 3

It’s a slow ship to turn around. It took Seabourn until 2014 to move away from performances of Sara Lee. Good grief that was awful. 😱

Tim Rice was an improvement, but always brought with it the problems of $ investment in rights, staging and training guaranteed to be locked in ad nauseum. (Same as TK Grill which we dislike, but many don’t). We made those comments when we first saw the show - that it would be with us for several years and this was potentially our last night out at the grand salon for a while, which has proved correct in a way.

COVID aside we tend to travel 2-3 times a year for 5-8 weeks at a time and were less than thrilled to see Seabourn continue with the production shows which seen once is enough. Agree also with the same tired comedians and magicians who do the circuits with every cruise line. It’s probably great if you cruise infrequently for 7-14 days, but for frequent customers on their home away from home it’s worse than the repeats on TV we are escaping. Once we went direct from Seabourn to a Regent and got the same very nice chap doing card tricks, memory recall and wrist watch lifting.

We have found many outstanding musicians in the club - yes most are pulled together into a “band” and are so professional in their flexibility. Some have their own groups within the band eg a duo or trio. If they were allowed to do their own show (songs) in the club this would add some variety and spontaneity away from the formulaic pre and post evening standards. In some cases the club singer is more talented than the production singers and is better placed to headline the sail away parties - but this rarely happens.

Perhaps it fundamentally falls with the CD? To pull together/apart teams to make the best of the talent on board, recognise and show case it? 

We would not miss the production numbers (and Disney style performers) and enjoy most genres of music in their place. The observation bar is a place for background music only - in observation of its other purpose.

• Like 2

"We have found many outstanding musicians in the club - yes most are pulled together into a “band” and are so professional in their flexibility. Some have their own groups within the band eg a duo or trio. If they were allowed to do their own show (songs) in the club this would add some variety and spontaneity away from the formulaic pre and post evening standards. In some cases the club singer is more talented than the production singers and is better placed to headline the sail away parties - but this rarely happens."

I so agree with this.  A cruise a few years ago had a singer that was just amazing, one of those soulful voices that just sent shivers up the spine.  She was also a free spirit, and used to sing anywhere, and up in the Obs Bar if she got a chance. She wanted to do more, but I think 'management'  resisted.  She was wonderful.  But only did one season with SB, she probably didn't toe the line enough!  

11 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Same old same old ...yes sadly quite a few of what we saw on 65 day Grand Pacific in 2022 we had also seen 5 yrs previosly on SB ....

2 hours ago, phillipahain said:

Same old same old ...yes sadly quite a few of what we saw on 65 day Grand Pacific in 2022 we had also seen 5 yrs previosly on SB ....

And this is exactly why I asked the question.  We are ALL tired of same old same old and the old fashioned productions numbers.  The WORST was a country/western show.  GAG me.  I am from a state famous for country/western singers--and the SB show was laughable.  

And someone is right.  Not everyone wil ever be pleased.  I would just like some improvisation jazz---somewhere.  By its very nature, it is never the same.  

I believe that Handre is now in charge of entertainment...

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

And this is exactly why I asked the question.  We are ALL tired of same old same old and the old fashioned productions numbers.  The WORST was a country/western show.  GAG me.  I am from a state famous for country/western singers--and the SB show was laughable.  

And someone is right.  Not everyone wil ever be pleased.  I would just like some improvisation jazz---somewhere.  By its very nature, it is never the same.  

I believe that Handre is now in charge of entertainment...

Yes Handre is in charge of all entertainment and planning cruise directors schedules and booking talent

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

Yes Handre is in charge of all entertainment and planning cruise directors schedules and booking talent

We love Handre.  He can almost single handedly make a cruise special.  I will never forget him bringing blankets to us on the deck during a deck party.  He was an exceptional cruise director and is a real treasure for Seabourn. From what I have read, they may be using him as PR as well.  

I hope that Handre can be an outside of the box thinker when it comes to entertainment.  Some of us do enjoy a show in the Grand Salon after dinner and it would be great if SB could provide some surprisingly wonderful experiences.  

I totally recognize that this is not London or NYC, but not all great entertainment is in these two places.  We also enjoy local entertainment brought onboard and exceptional musicians of all types.  

When it comes to humor, I think there is a divide between UK humor and US humor.  That's ok--we get it and can enjoy both--but they are not the same--just like our taste in food is not the same.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

We love Handre.  He can almost single handedly make a cruise special.  I will never forget him bringing blankets to us on the deck during a deck party.  He was an exceptional cruise director and is a real treasure for Seabourn. From what I have read, they may be using him as PR as well.  

I hope that Handre can be an outside of the box thinker when it comes to entertainment.  Some of us do enjoy a show in the Grand Salon after dinner and it would be great if SB could provide some surprisingly wonderful experiences.  

I totally recognize that this is not London or NYC, but not all great entertainment is in these two places.  We also enjoy local entertainment brought onboard and exceptional musicians of all types.  

When it comes to humor, I think there is a divide between UK humor and US humor.  That's ok--we get it and can enjoy both--but they are not the same--just like our taste in food is not the same.  

Belinda King is the agent who supplies the singers and dancers and she has a long relationship with Seabourn and other lines.

Handre does have some good ideas and we have had a few special guests entertainers come on board.

Sarah Brightman gave a concert on Encore last year and stated for five days

She is the Godmother of the ship.

Sorry George Burns isn't available any more.😁

• Like 1

There is a danger in sailing with Seabourn for weeks or months each year.   Everything  about the ships will start to be old hat.   The menus will be roughly the same and the entertainment repetitive.    We did attend the shows on our first trip with Seabourn but after that we just had a relaxed dinner.    Quiet music in the lounges is what we enjoy.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We did attend the shows on our first trip with Seabourn but after that we just had a relaxed dinner.    Quiet music in the lounges is what we enjoy.   

This is what we find we enjoy. Often we are either catching up with friends or enjoying talking to each other and we tend to eat late so we end up missing the show. Sometimes we enjoy the dancing on deck in fine weather and we have had some good musicians in The Club for dancing after the show. We even had the Saxophonist do some good jazz solos some evenings in The Club, but I wouldn't want that often.

15 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

There is a danger in sailing with Seabourn for weeks or months each year.   Everything  about the ships will start to be old hat.   The menus will be roughly the same and the entertainment repetitive.    We did attend the shows on our first trip with Seabourn but after that we just had a relaxed dinner.    Quiet music in the lounges is what we enjoy.   

I totally get that--and we have sailed long enough to also be subject to the repetition.  I would just like to have some surprises--and I think there are musicians who could provide that.  It would take some planning and work on SB's part--but could be done.  Who doesn't like a challenge?

Why even provice entertainment if your most frequent guests do not enjoy what you have to offer.  

Edited by SLSD

One event in the Grand Salon that was great fun on our Grand Pacific Voyage....they turned the evening over to the crew, and some were immensely talented... it was a sort of Odyssey X-factor!  

One of the early evening Club staff played guitar, he was brilliant, one of the Spa staff sang, an Officer brought the house down with a rock song and more.

Just a bit different. 

• Like 1