Credit Card Travel Insurance - Allianz

I often see post about Travel Insurance so I would just like to share my experience in case anyone is wondering about Credit Card Insurance.    I have a ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum Credit card which includers free International Travel Insurance.  You need to spend $250 on your trip to qualify.  I have never taken out any other Insurance and always relied on this cover,  

I was due to go on the Celebrity Eclipse on Friday but came down with a cold and chest Infection.  I contacted Celebrity to Cancel my cruise and they sent me a cancellation Invoice which said Port Fees and Taxes would only be refunded. 

I filled out a Insurance claim on line with Allianz on Friday attaching , Dr Certificate, Cancelled Invoice from Celebrity Etc. 

I assumed it would take weeks before I heard anything.  Well this morning (Monday) I received a message the claim has been approved and should be in my account in the next few day.

Hope this may help someone who is wondering if their Credit Card Insurance is adequate,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for sharing this.  I have always bought travel insurance but in my last few trips relied on the cc insurance (ANZ FF Black).  It now has domestic travel insurance included too so that’s a bonus.  Haven’t yet made a claim so reassured by your experience.

That's so good to hear from someone that has had a successful claim.

I noticed while looking at another CC also with Alliance global travel insurance, to be eligible both the cardholder and the spouse/dependent have to spend $500 each on travel. So if doing a short cruise under $500 each without air or accommodation it would not cover......so read the fine print everyone!

Thankfully our ANZ Black is only $250 for all travellers combined.

• Thanks 1

I too was interested in viability of the free Credit Card Insurance.

When I looked into it in the light of older cruisers and longer cruises, the various banks had varying coverages. If your interested in seeing my review the various banks see attached.

Please note I am not an insurance expert in any sense of the word, or associated with any company, it is just my opinion from what I have read from their PDS statements, and offered in case its of some interest to people looking at using the free cc insurance.

Hopefully its at least a start point for comparisons.

The spreadsheet lists and compares the main issues I was interested in.

The document summarises the spreadsheet results.

Regards

Bank CC Insur Comparison.xlsxEvaluation Of Credit Card Travel Insurance Cards.docx

Edited by Ozwoody

HSBC  dos not give a total  it just says the card must be used to pay for the return journey in and out of oz   so whether it is UK or vanuatu  cover is the cost of the return fare

Edited by windsor26

Citibank also required you to pay the full cost of the travel to qualify. I called them up recently as I paid a small portion of my cruise with another card, and Citibank told me then I will not be covered. (even though I paid over $8k of the cruise using their card!)

Yes I felt it was a bit rich a credit card requiring you to bill the whole trip to your card.

It was bad enough when some of them required significant amounts, but total cost is really over the top.

That and lack of covid cover was the main reasons I gave bad recommendations to most of the banks free insurance evaluation.

11 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Yes I felt it was a bit rich a credit card requiring you to bill the whole trip to your card.

It was bad enough when some of them required significant amounts, but total cost is really over the top.

That and lack of covid cover was the main reasons I gave bad recommendations to most of the banks free insurance evaluation.

John I can't open your files, usually don't have any probs.

10 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

John I can't open your files, usually don't have any probs.

The spread sheet and word files are 2019 version of MS Office, are you using and earlier version of Office?

If you are or still have a problem e-mail me with the address in signature.

Regards

For many years we used the free ANZ CC travel insurance, QBE being the actual insurer. They were easy to get on with and I had a couple of claims settled. However in recent years the ANZ Bank changed to Allianz, they declined me cover even with me declaring conditions and agreeing to pay a premium. In my view Allianz are tough.

OK I will try to load them again, maybe I did something wrong last time.

Have loaded them elseware and does not seem to be having a problem.

Evaluation Of Credit Card Travel Insurance Cards.docxBank CC Insur Comparison.xlsx

Let me know if that works, otherwise e-mail me and I will send them by e-mail, their not big files.

1 minute ago, Ozwoody said:

OK I will try to load them again, maybe I did something wrong last time.

Have loaded them elseware and does not seem to be having a problem.

Evaluation Of Credit Card Travel Insurance Cards.docxUnavailable Bank CC Insur Comparison.xlsxUnavailable

Let me know if that works, otherwise e-mail me and I will send them by e-mail, their not big files.

The title of each document still has the word 'Unavailable' underneath. ☹️

That's strange I just did a test download and no problem.

I'm at a loss, but happy to e-mail to anyone who would like me too.

Also thank again Evon for your lead developing the spreadsheets.

Regards

9 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Out of curiosity what operating system are those having problems downloading.

I'm using Windows 10, could it be and apple compatibility problem?

I'm using Windows 10 and see this:

10 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

If I do click on the attachment, this is the message I get from CC:

Oops!

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

I have loaded them both to "2024 Coral Princess World Cruise - Auckland, Sydney, Brisbane roundtrip" Thread and people have been downloading with out problems there. see message number 840.

I have done 2 test downloads from here, so have no idea why its not working.

Sorry other than sending copies by e-mail (my e-mail is at the bottom of my signature) I'm at a loss why its not working.

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

For many years we used the free ANZ CC travel insurance, QBE being the actual insurer. They were easy to get on with and I had a couple of claims settled. However in recent years the ANZ Bank changed to Allianz, they declined me cover even with me declaring conditions and agreeing to pay a premium. In my view Allianz are tough.

I had the same problem with Allianz. Wouldn't cover my EMC.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Galesa said:

I had the same problem with Allianz. Wouldn't cover my EMC.

Actually currently most of the banks use Allianz as their travel insurance provider, and each bank has slight differences in cover offered, that was one of the things I found when I did my comparison of bank travel policies.

It may not be Allianz but the banks conditions on their policies, as different banks using Allianz have different precondition conditions.

These are things I covered in the files I tried uploading above.

• Like 1