Blankets and pea soup...

gregma60

Yes. Blankets should be available on Lido aft, and the promenade deck (except on the Pinnacle ships, which have no seating out there), every day. 
Pea soup is served while scenic cruising Glacier Bay. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Yes. Blankets should be available on Lido aft, and the promenade deck (except on the Pinnacle ships, which have no seating out there), every day. 
Pea soup is served while scenic cruising Glacier Bay. 

Very nice, my wife said she was really hoping so as it sounds delicious!

-gregma

5 hours ago, erewhon said:

The Dutch pea soup is delicious.

It is.  

Never would I ever order/eat/fix pea soup......except on HAL.  It really is delicious and they know how to make it great.  

Even if you think you would never eat your peas, I suggest you try it on the ship. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, erewhon said:

@gregma60  if you are in the stateroom we earlier discussed, there used to be blankets in the  cupboard, by the door to the balcony.   If not, ask the room steward.

The Dutch pea soup is delicious.

Sounds great!  We will probably already have them to spend time on our veranda, so will just bring them with us!

-gregma

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

It is.  

Never would I ever order/eat/fix pea soup......except on HAL.  It really is delicious and they know how to make it great.  

Even if you think you would never eat your peas, I suggest you try it on the ship. 

We don't have it enough at home, really looking forward to this!

11 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

SUGGESTION: Grab a window view in a public area and enjoy your soup or a toddy. Sitting on ones Veranda much over-rated for Alaska unless you’re a private person. 

I do have some issues with being around a lot of people close up.  If it isn't too packed, I think maybe the crows nest might be a good place? 

-gregma

There used to be hot Dutch chocolate offered in the morning in Glacier Bay. Hope it’s still offered also. Crowding depends on the ship…. Kdam will be dense, Volendam not so much - that’s the difference between 2600 pax and 1400 pax. On the smaller ships, there are more places to avoid crowds .

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Susanmaz said:

There used to be hot Dutch chocolate offered in the morning in Glacier Bay. Hope it’s still offered also. Crowding depends on the ship…. Kdam will be dense, Volendam not so much - that’s the difference between 2600 pax and 1400 pax. On the smaller ships, there are more places to avoid crowds .

One of the main reasons we chose the Volendam.  🙂

-gregma

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

SUGGESTION: Grab a window view in a public area and enjoy your soup or a toddy. Sitting on ones Veranda much over-rated for Alaska unless you’re a private person. 

You have to be outside to hear the cracking of the glacier.  The ship will turn so everyone has a chance to view.  The bow of the ship will be open and a ranger will be on the bow to answer questions and offer commentary.  After several visits to Glacier Bay I have learned to appreciate my veranda as a private viewing space.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

You have to be outside to hear the cracking of the glacier.  The ship will turn so everyone has a chance to view.  The bow of the ship will be open and a ranger will be on the bow to answer questions and offer commentary.  After several visits to Glacier Bay I have learned to appreciate my veranda as a private viewing space.  

From what I understand, the ranger will be hearable in the cabins?

-gregma

36 minutes ago, gregma60 said:

From what I understand, the ranger will be hearable in the cabins?

-gregma

You can hear the commentary on the outside decks and in the cabins.  But….you can’t be outside watching and also hear it in the cabin without leaving your door open, which you should not do.  There are at least three rangers who come onboard.  On our past cruises they provide educational materials and set up a table in the Crow’s Nest.  There’s also the junior ranger program for the kids.  There will be a ranger on the bow who will talk with passengers.  That person has binoculars and points out interesting features and wildlife.   

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, erewhon said:

@gregma60  there should be binoculars in the staterom, usually sitting next to the coffee machine.

Me thinks the binoculars sitting next to the the coffee machine would be non-existent for those of us in steerage......Me thinks those perks (binoculars and coffee machines) are only for suite folks?  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Me thinks the binoculars sitting next to the the coffee machine would be non-existent for those of us in steerage......Me thinks those perks (binoculars and coffee machines) are only for suite folks?  

I believe you’re right. Neptune suites have coffee machines and all suites have binoculars (or at least signature and Neptune, not sure about vista as they aren’t on our ship)