Travel insurance, Witch one is the most bang for your buck?

Thad409

36 minutes ago, Thad409 said:

Just curious if I could get some recommendations on Travel Insurance for a 7-day cruise, and the name of the companies that have been used and were happy with. Thanks in advance.

Recommend asking/researching over on this forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Edited by ColeThornton

We have used Travelguard for every one of our land and sea vacations.  They (to us) are reasonably priced and have several "levels" of coverage to pick or chose from.  We have had 2 claims in the past years, and they settled both very quickly.

• Like 1

Go to a comparison site like... insure my trip dot com, plug in your needs are far as insurance goes (like do you want primary medical that pays upfront to a hospital or medical evacuation in case you need to be flown home etc) and it will give you a list.  Compare the company certificates and see which fits your needs and purchase.  

• Like 1

We've purchased several over the years and don't have a preference. I go to www.insuremytrip.com, input our travel info and then sort the resulting list lowest to highest. I then look for mid-range plans that provide robust medevac coverage ($250k or so) and decent medical coverage ($50k range). If a plan has a pre-existing waiver coverage included for no extra that's a plus. The plans usually run around 5 to 7% of the covered amounts. (ETA- I just checked my account history and it looks like Nationwide Essential has gotten our business most, but there have been other plans purchased as well. For our upcoming trip it was $151 for a $2800 suite and airfare of $700.)

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

Depends, if you need CFAR or pre-existing medical condition coverage, it doesn't matter how cheap the insurance I buy is because it won't cover what you need. You need to do your own research for insurance that offers what you need.

• Like 1

We strongly recommend speaking with www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But CALL them.  The online summaries of various policies simply cannot capture all of the fine print.

A travel insurance broker (no extra charge to traveler) can not only answer your questions, but they can ask other questions.  They know what some of the possibly subtle differences are in the policies (some differences aren't subtle at all, but some are), and they know what to ask, or what to listen for when you ask questions.

As mentioned, don't decide by price alone.  What matters is if the coverage types you want are included in the policy you get!

Also keep in mind that usually if you start the travel insurance within 10-20 days (state dependent) of your *first* payment (refundable or not), you'll probably have a choice of the most options in terms of coverage.

We've used TIS since learning about them here on CC almost 10 years ago.  We've had several claims, including a few large ones, and all have been paid without any nonsense.

GC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2023 at 10:48 AM, GeezerCouple said:

We strongly recommend speaking with www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But CALL them.  The online summaries of various policies simply cannot capture all of the fine print.

A travel insurance broker (no extra charge to traveler) can not only answer your questions, but they can ask other questions.  They know what some of the possibly subtle differences are in the policies (some differences aren't subtle at all, but some are), and they know what to ask, or what to listen for when you ask questions.

As mentioned, don't decide by price alone.  What matters is if the coverage types you want are included in the policy you get!

Also keep in mind that usually if you start the travel insurance within 10-20 days (state dependent) of your *first* payment (refundable or not), you'll probably have a choice of the most options in terms of coverage.

We've used TIS since learning about them here on CC almost 10 years ago.  We've had several claims, including a few large ones, and all have been paid without any nonsense.

GC

This post is great.    I learned about tripinsurancestore from CC and I am totally happy with the service I have received and purchased a policy today.    I've been emailing Steve over the last few days and he's been super responsive with all my questions.  He provided me some links to his blog for some articles that were extremely helpful.  I had read his blog, but missed a couple of the articles in particular.  

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 4:22 PM, Joe33472 said:

This post is great.    I learned about tripinsurancestore from CC and I am totally happy with the service I have received and purchased a policy today.    I've been emailing Steve over the last few days and he's been super responsive with all my questions.  He provided me some links to his blog for some articles that were extremely helpful.  I had read his blog, but missed a couple of the articles in particular.  

I filled out their online form & sent email to TIS yesterday. 

Hoping to hear back from them soon.

Still on the fence about individual trips vs. annual policy trip insurance.

1 hour ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

I filled out their online form & sent email to TIS yesterday. 

Hoping to hear back from them soon.

Still on the fence about individual trips vs. annual policy trip insurance.

I looked at the annual policies too, and couldn't find anything that made sense for us for the trip I was looking to insure, since it is a long trip and costs well above the limits of most annual policies.      

But, I have an annual electronics insurance policy that coverage all of my electronics and that has worked out great over the years.  It's cheap, like $150 per year for $5,000 in coverage.   I've made a few claims and they paid right away without a lot of hassle.   I dropped an iPad and it was unfixable, and they sent me cost less deductible (after proving it wasn't fixable).   Apple had no problem saying it wasn't fixable. So, I could see where an annual travel insurance policy would be very appealing.