Questions on Windows buffet

mj_holiday

We are getting ready to take our second Azamara cruise.  On our first cruise I didn't spend much time looking at the evening info on Windows because we are not buffet people.  But I have read (somewhere) that the evening meals in Windows are more like table service than the buffet for breakfast and lunch.  I do remember that Windows had themed nights but still didn't want buffet meal.

Can someone explain to me what the format for dinner is for Windows restaurant?

I wish in Windows there was a mix of the buffet option and the table served that we enjoyed immediately post pandemic.  I just dont like the buffets and all the associated hassle jumping up and down and sharing serving spoons but I know some do like being able to be really pick out exactly what they want in terms of ingredients and quantity.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could have both 🙂 

• Like 7

On 3/17/2023 at 4:57 AM, Mackdogmolly said:

Also, sometimes the Patio (just outside Windows) is sometimes open for dinner. They have table service and a different menu than the more casual lunch time fare.

We weren't impressed with that option on Onward.  The lighting was rather harsh.  There was no music--only the hum of the lights.  We walked through there thinking that it might be nice to eat outside, but it felt more like the outside of an industrial complex than by the pool on a cruise ship.  It was a much different atmosphere than at lunch but not at all in a good way.

We were much, much happier dining outside at the buffet.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

We weren't impressed with that option on Onward.  The lighting was rather harsh.  There was no music--only the hum of the lights.  We walked through there thinking that it might be nice to eat outside, but it felt more like the outside of an industrial complex than by the pool on a cruise ship.  It was a much different atmosphere than at lunch but not at all in a good way.

We were much, much happier dining outside at the buffet.

With the Patio in the evening, it makes a big difference how many tables are occupied. We ate there twice this cruise & really enjoyed it - subdued lighting, heaters if it’s cold. There were lots of occupied tables and a nice atmosphere.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

With the Patio in the evening, it makes a big difference how many tables are occupied. We ate there twice this cruise & really enjoyed it - subdued lighting, heaters if it’s cold. There were lots of occupied tables and a nice atmosphere.

I'm very glad to hear that. It's something we wanted to like, but it was not set up as you described when we were there. We look forward to seeing it again. 

We recently completed the 12nt South African Intensive, our first cruise w/ Azamara, and were quite taken aback w/ Windows.  We don't prefer buffet dining for dinner but were genuinely impressed w/ Windows Cafe as an evening dining option.  With white table cloths and helpful wait staff, the quality, variety, and  presentation of cuisine were surprisingly pleasant.  We dined there and at The Patio three times during the trip; all very nice & enjoyable.  I would most definitely recommend you consider the options at both in comparison to Discoveries MDR each evening as you decide where you wish to dine.  I'm sure you'll be pleased w/ the choices!

• Like 9

On 3/19/2023 at 4:22 AM, mdeegooden said:

We recently completed the 12nt South African Intensive, our first cruise w/ Azamara, and were quite taken aback w/ Windows.  We don't prefer buffet dining for dinner but were genuinely impressed w/ Windows Cafe as an evening dining option.  With white table cloths and helpful wait staff, the quality, variety, and  presentation of cuisine were surprisingly pleasant.  We dined there and at The Patio three times during the trip; all very nice & enjoyable.  I would most definitely recommend you consider the options at both in comparison to Discoveries MDR each evening as you decide where you wish to dine.  I'm sure you'll be pleased w/ the choices!

Did the evenings at 'Windows' have a theme each time, or do you mean that 'Windows' has returned to how it used to be, with a daily high quality buffet with no particular country theme? We used to enjoy dining there prior to the change to a different country each evening.

1 hour ago, Lookyboy said:

Did the evenings at 'Windows' have a theme each time, or do you mean that 'Windows' has returned to how it used to be, with a daily high quality buffet with no particular country theme? We used to enjoy dining there prior to the change to a different country each evening.

Our December sailing has a theme each night. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lookyboy said:

This being our first sailing w/ Azamara, I unfortunately don't have perspective on the buffet other than what we experienced here as compared to those on other lines we've sailed.  While we chose to dine in Discoveries most evenings this cruise, we did check options.  I recall that Windows featured a country or destination each evening, although I'm not sure every app/entree/dessert was exclusively indicative of a specific country.  What I am sure of is how unexpectedly pleased we were w/the overall dining experience there the couple times we chose Windows for dinner.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, mdeegooden said:

This being our first sailing w/ Azamara, I unfortunately don't have perspective on the buffet other than what we experienced here as compared to those on other lines we've sailed.  While we chose to dine in Discoveries most evenings this cruise, we did check options.  I recall that Windows featured a country or destination each evening, although I'm not sure every app/entree/dessert was exclusively indicative of a specific country.  What I am sure of is how unexpectedly pleased we were w/the overall dining experience there the couple times we chose Windows for dinner.

Thank you. This is what I was wondering. 😁

We like the buffet on Viking because we could eat outside. This is my first AZ cruise coming up in May. From what I have seen you can take your food from the buffet and eat outside - is this correct? Also, do they come to serve you wine out there as well or do you have to come in to fetch it?

23 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

We like the buffet on Viking because we could eat outside. This is my first AZ cruise coming up in May. From what I have seen you can take your food from the buffet and eat outside - is this correct? Also, do they come to serve you wine out there as well or do you have to come in to fetch it?

Yes, you can eat on the deck right outside Windows Cafe and yes, there are servers our there who attend to you and will provide you wine and other drinks as needed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, uktog said:

Only on the Asian evening 

Last time I cruised on AZ, which was a long time ago in 2009, there was sushi every night. That's very disappointing for me that AZ changed that. It's one of the things Like about Oceania.

5 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Last time I cruised on AZ, which was a long time ago in 2009, there was sushi every night. That's very disappointing for me that AZ changed that. It's one of the things Like about Oceania.

If the last time you sailed Azamara was 2009 then a lot has changed.  Whether to the good or not depends on you of course. The addition of Tapas in the evenings in a revamped Living Room from the old Looking Glass that had nothing like it is for me a huge addition. 

Phil 

• Like 5