Teenagers causing damage to ship this week

22 minutes ago, cannotfathom said:

Makes it difficult to book.  We try to book during the school year.  But it is no guarantee that the ship's kid population will be low.

Why not book on a cruise line that doesn't cater to kids? Celebrity and Holland America usually  have fewer kids than Royal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Kids sail free is a genius promotion ... fills cabins during less popular times of year, shows parents that cruising is an easy vacation with children, then the parents will continue to pay after the kids are too old for the promotion.  

No, the promotion isn't the problem.  It's the lack of parental supervision and too lax rules on the part of the cruise line.  

We only cruise in off-season because we dislike crowds.  When you cruise during kid-season, more cabins have 3-4 in the room, and that adds up to crowds.  

As you said it is lack of supervision.  So of course my family would want to avoid this problem.  And before you suggest I sail on "adult" cruises, I do not want to be on an "adult theme" vacation.  Just because my family isn't 12 and under doesn't mean we don't like family friendly activities.  

As for KSF, I hate promo that I end up subsidizing because it doesn't pertain to me.  So many of the KSF families stand in line at guest services removing their grats so I in turn can pay a higher rate that the cruise line hikes it to.  If you thinks it's unfair to have a 6 year old pay full fair...then maybe there should be a sliding price that correlates to the child's age.  Regardless...I think everyone should pay.

But I digress, since I do not know the actual ages of the vandals, KSF most likely isn't related to this problem.  Unfortunately this behavior will make it that all kids will get a bad rap.

Edited by cannotfathom

39 minutes ago, cannotfathom said:

I think though many families have youth of a variety of ages.  I agree with the poster for eliminating the kids sail free.  I pay...everyone should pay.

I used to think that way until I hit 60 and started getting all those 'Seniors' discounts.  If discounts are good for me, they must be good for the kiddies too! 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Why not book on a cruise line that doesn't cater to kids? Celebrity and Holland America usually  have fewer kids than Royal. 

You are correct that Celebrity may have less kids...but it will also be more $$$.  By cruising when school is in session and not at holiday time, one would think the ship's population would be low on kids.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DirtyDawg said:

I used to think that way until I hit 60 and started getting all those 'Seniors' discounts.  If discounts are good for me, they must be good for the kiddies too! 😁

Are seniors sailing free?  Wow I can't wait LOL

• Like 4

20 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Here's what I find "funny" about this thread...

Last year, I posted the "contract" that we had the teens (two 18yo and two 16yo) that we were taking on the cruise agree to.  It was basically, "behave", gave examples like don't push all the buttons in an elevator, dont make noise in the cabin hallways, don't accept drinks from others, attend dinner with us in the MDR, among others.

I was told it was too strict and I should "lighten up".  I don't think one poster backed me.  

If I had read your post....I would have backed you 100%!!!! 

I am a 75 year old Grandmother with 3 adult children & their spouses and 8 eight Grandchildren now ages 14 to 24. We have taken them on 2 (2012 Freedom & 2017 Anthem ) Royal cruises to celebrate our 45th & 50th Anniverary and cancelled the one in 2022 (Oasis) to celebrate 55 because of covid. 

While I will first say we weren't with them 24/7, whenever we were (I FLY, Flow Rider, etc and Dinner in DR every evening and many Shows) we I couldn't have been any prouder of their behavior. 

I will most likely will get slammed for this and don't care. Too quote my Dad (who passed away in 1988, 7 months before he got to see his first Great-Granddaughter........ .......

CHILDREN ARE WHAT THEIR PARENTS ALLOW THEM TO BE!!!! 

Edited by Loracpin2
spell check
  • Like 16

9 minutes ago, cannotfathom said:

You are correct that Celebrity may have less kids...but it will also be more $$$.  By cruising when school is in session and not at holiday time, one would think the ship's population would be low on kids.  

I am sailing on this ship in five weeks. Don’t expect many kids because the sailing is a transatlantic. 

14 minutes ago, cannotfathom said:

Are seniors sailing free?  Wow I can't wait LOL

Not yet but I've pitched Royal on a new promotion. It's called BOGOFF.

Buy One, Get an Old Fa*t for Free 

😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, cannotfathom said:

Our first cruise in 2018 was on Anthem and every elevator had the artwork in them defaced!?!  I assume there are cameras in elevators so why people weren't held accountable is beyond me.  So sad.

When we were on the Anthem that year as well, there were several Xboxes missing from the Xbox pod in the  swapped.  Also many controllers missing. And one of the acrylic cases that house one of the Xbox’s was totally cracked.  I asked the crew why there were missing Xboxes and why they didn’t have enough controllers for the remaining systems and they said the last sailing people stole the Xboxes and controllers and they had not gotten around to replacing them yet.

19 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

If I had read your post....I would have backed you 100%!!!!  ... 

I would've backed you too.  Years ago -- when my kids were teens -- I wrote up a list of expectations, and I shared them here.  It seemed to be 50-50:  some people said, "Give the kids some freedom!  Ships are safe!", yet I saw variations on my list show up for years after.  I was never unhappy with my kids' behavior onboard, and I really think it's because I let them know exactly what I expected.  

Let me see what I remember: 

- Don't go into other people's cabins. Don't allow others in our cabins. 

- Be polite to all crew and all guests at all times -- help elderly people and people with small children in the Windjammer and on elevators.  

- You may eat breakfast and lunch with new friends, but leave us a note letting us know where you are. 

- We eat dinner as a family.  

- After dinner we are together OR you're in a teen club activity.  

- We will all leave notes in the room saying where we are.  Check in with us every 2-3 hours.  

- We leave the ship as a family.  

- You will not have charging privileges on your Sea Pass, but tell us if you want to buy something. 

- You will have a soda package.  Do not accept drinks from anyone except a ship employee.  Do not finish a drink that's been out of your sight.  

• Like 6

On 3/18/2023 at 9:40 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

but I told them to walk away from kids who did behave this way, lest they find themselves caught up in something not of their own making. 

My Grandson was almost caught up in an incident once on Freedom...back in the day when the young girls were wearing those wolf tails, did you ever see that?  A teen boy was harassing a teen girl and my 15 year old Grandson stepped in to make him stop.  He thought he was being a good Samaritan, but I let him know we could have all been kicked off...he got punished by his Mom, not the culprit.  The security team did come talk to him but he is a gentleman and they acknowledged that and told him to make a report and never take matters into his own hands.  It was a good lesson.  He's now in the air force in Italy.  But still it rankles that some are allowed to get away with such disrespect for others.  Even if they were wearing wolf tails!  I hate to think of Beautiful Odyssey with broken elevator glass and such....a pity.  In the words of Cpt. Call..."I can't abide rudeness in a man"!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

My Grandson was almost caught up in an incident once on Freedom...back in the day when the young girls were wearing those wolf tails, did you ever see that?  A teen boy was harassing a teen girl and my 15 year old Grandson stepped in to make him stop.  He thought he was being a good Samaritan, but I let him know we could have all been kicked off...he got punished by his Mom, not the culprit.  The security team did come talk to him but he is a gentleman and they acknowledged that and told him to make a report and never take matters into his own hands.  It was a good lesson.  He's now in the air force in Italy.  But still it rankles that some are allowed to get away with such disrespect for others.  Even if they were wearing wolf tails!  I hate to think of Beautiful Odyssey with broken elevator glass and such....a pity.  In the words of Cpt. Call..."I can't abide rudeness in a man"!

We could use Captains Call and McCrae on this ship.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 3:18 AM, melbur said:

Kids sail free..., please stop this promo. ... I had 2 young teens at 4am harass me for any cash I had on me cause they wanted to go back to the arcade and had no money left.

Hellooo, parents?

"Kids sail free" doesn't apply to teenagers. Ages 13+ are considered adults per Royal's pricing. (I know this for a fact bc we had to cancel a cruise due to a hurricane when my daughter was still 12, and rebooked for a later date after she'd turned 13, so we lost our KSF promo.)

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 5:44 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

KSF definitely doesn't apply to any school breaks.

Wrong! It might not apply to your school district's breaks, but it most definitely applies during Fall Break and the start of summer break for us, but then again we start back to school in July and get out mid-May.

Our cruise we had to cancel back in October was during our Fall Break and was a KSF cruise, as is the one we replaced it with sailing May 19, which leaves the day after school lets out for us. There are plenty of kids whose schools have breaks during weeks when KSF applies, albeit not as many as during other weeks.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 3:58 PM, ShillyShally said:

Interesting, all of mine are now out of college even but it was not as easy to take them out of school whenever we tried or there were definite consequences (missing out on key games or roles). Then again the pandemic and drain on teachers, I expect now it’s all “enrichment”. I fully  support family time as valuable but not sure any cruise is that enriching!

We used to pull ours out of school for a week for a cruise or Disney trip. Talked to the teachers and they got assignments etc. Never a problem. I've never cruised during Spring break or the winter school vacations. Just too many kids. Now cruising solo I avoid those dates like the plague. But  truthfully over many cruises I've never seen any real horrible behavior from the younger set or the college crowd. I've seen more rude behavior from my own generation lol.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 6:18 AM, melbur said:

Kids sail free..., please stop this promo.  I've never experienced so many kids in the months following Xmas break as I have this year. Misbehaving, rude and pushy. I had 2 young teens at 4am harass me for any cash I had on me cause they wanted to go back to the arcade and had no money left.

Hellooo, parents?

KSF is only 12 and under. 

5 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Some places offer Senior Discounts young as 50, many more at 55. Turned 57 and I'm not shy or ever embarrassed to ask for anything that could save me $$$. Did get 2 Senior Discounts from 2 other Cruise Lines, but seem to do lot better scoring Military Discounts with Royal. Funny thing is get Carded lot of the time as workers guess I'm only in my early 40's. I can live with that!.. Was very Lucky with my Kids/Teens, never an issue on Cruises or outside the house even with me not looking over their Shoulder. Though we had some serious heated discussions this was always at Home. Can't Win them all

• Like 1

I run a resort and have similar issues with the teens.  They will always push the limit to what they are allowed.  Breaking things brings them attention, so they do alot of it.  They only answer is policing, if you are going to build the kind of ships that attract this demographic.  Teenagers hang out in groups and NEVER with parents around.  Good kids can become entangled in a group with a few bad apples.  Right now RCCL is doing a very poor job of policing them.  They are going to have to step it up or continue to have these disruptions.  Telling a teenager to "go back to their room" is not the answer.  They consider it a challenge to  hide from security.  Its fun.  Hide and Seek.  They need to march them back to the room and get the parents involved.  If they continue to be a problem, they need to have their curfew cut back. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

"Kids sail free" doesn't apply to teenagers. Ages 13+ are considered adults per Royal's pricing. (I know this for a fact bc we had to cancel a cruise due to a hurricane when my daughter was still 12, and rebooked for a later date after she'd turned 13, so we lost our KSF promo.)

True, though many 11-12yr olds look like 17-18yr olds but still can act like 2yr olds. 20yrs ago took my 12, 7 and 4yr olds on Cruise. Many onboard thought my 12yr old Daughter was my Wife! Kids/Teens look lot older then when I was growing up. My Kids started Cruising back there was no KSF and over 1/3 the yr it cost more for 3rd-4th passengers then first and second

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Probably true.  

Yes, I see the same things.  I just retired after 30 years, but I'm working a couple days a week as a permanent sub, and I'm loving it:  no lesson plans, no grading, no meetings.  I walk in 10 minutes before the first bell and walk out with the kids at 2:15.  I get to work with the kids, see my teacher friends, act as a mentor to the younger teachers ... but I can say NO when it suits me.  I'm only 56, which is way too young to dip my fingers into my savings ... so the bit of extra money is nice.  

True, but no one would think they need to say, "Please don't break our stuff!"  

Thank you for continued service. Many of us achieve much due to at least one Great Teacher.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, resetjet said:

I run a resort and have similar issues with the teens.  They will always push the limit to what they are allowed.  Breaking things brings them attention, so they do alot of it.  They only answer is policing, if you are going to build the kind of ships that attract this demographic.  Teenagers hang out in groups and NEVER with parents around.  Good kids can become entangled in a group with a few bad apples.  Right now RCCL is doing a very poor job of policing them.  They are going to have to step it up or continue to have these disruptions.  Telling a teenager to "go back to their room" is not the answer.  They consider it a challenge to  hide from security.  Its fun.  Hide and Seek.  They need to march them back to the room and get the parents involved.  If they continue to be a problem, they need to have their curfew cut back. 

In my one bad cruise experience due to out of control kids, the worker at guest services told me security puts them back in the room with the parents and the parents let them back out or go back out themselves. I was told they put the family on a list so they can't cruise with RC again but I have no idea if that's true.

I'm usually in bed by 10pm on cruises and miss all this wild night life. Bang on my door repeatedly and I will put on my crown and anchor robe and make a scary appearance at guest services though.

• Haha 1

We’ve been on 7 or 8 cruises with RC since pandemic - prior to that we sailed Disney.   We never saw or heard of an incident onboard RC until this past January on Harmony.  There was a group of at least 50-60 teens celebrating a quince.  Seemed like there was a couple chaperones but no real supervision. Tons of cutting in line at the flowrider and one of the teens tried to steal my towel that was on the bench while I was in line - I confronted him and made him out it back.  Sports staff said it had been horrible.  

My 14 year old always leaves teen club at midnight when they close, gets a couple slices of pizza, and is back in the room by 12:45.  On the last night of this cruise, however, he and a couple friends were assaulted (pushed and shoved) after pizza and were afraid to separate to go back to their rooms alone.  They (all 4 of the boys) came to our room and I accompanied them to guest services to make a report and security walked the other boys to their rooms.   I’ve never seen anything like it.  

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 11:17 AM, mickeygirl78 said:

That is terrible! I hope Royal cracks down on this behavior and holds all accountable (parents too). 

Before they end up with a homicide on a ship. Imagine the wrongful death suit against Royal which will leave their alcohol and child policy and business model at the bottom of the ocean I am sure