Best ship for Newbies

MillbrookMom

We have always cruised Royal Caribbean (with 1 NCL and one Celebrity).  We would very much like to try other cruiselines and are thinking of Princess next.  What we like about Royal is the number of activities to keep my husband busy (he gets easily bored and loves the rock climbing, surf simulator etc).  Now we don't need those things, but are looking for recommendations on ships that would have the most things to keep an active person occupied.  Thanks in advance.

With the parameters you are setting (like activities on Royal Caribbean?), then the Coral Princess and smaller Grand Class ships are probably out of the running.  They do not have any enhanced activities.  

2 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I hate to say this, because we have enjoyed Princess.

We are not into 'family' cruising and activity 'theme park' cruising.

I wonder what you both thought about Celebrity.

From your descriptions, it sounds like Celebrity would be the closest to Princess in cruising style.

The Celebrity cruise was one of their smaller ships many years ago and we chose it for itinerary and price.  It was also a port intensive cruise, so we didn't mind the lack of activities.  We did use the basketball court and the gym more than we do on Royal ships.

We sailed Celebrity some time back and found them closest to Princess of the lines we've sailed. His opinion about Celebrity might predict his opinion of Princess.

As you said, a port intensive cruise made the deal work for him. You could go with an itinerary like that. And too, his tastes might change over time.

33 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

For those activities that you’ve mentioned, I don’t think Princess is in your wheelhouse … nor is Celebrity.  NCL and Royal Caribbean seem bette matched for those that might get bored easily.  

So, based on your wheelhouse comment, just curious who you would say the clientele is for Princess then?  I see people bring kids on Princess ships (when they have been docked beside us at a port) and essentially my husband is just a big kid who likes to stay active.

3 minutes ago, MillbrookMom said:

So, based on your wheelhouse comment, just curious who you would say the clientele is for Princess then?  I see people bring kids on Princess ships (when they have been docked beside us at a port) and essentially my husband is just a big kid who likes to stay active.

The difference is that those kids are most likely in the programs onboard that cater to children.  Think arts and crafts, treasure hunts etc.  as there are no rides or climbing walls or Flo Riders.  Just swimming pools/hot tubs.  If your husband is a fan of the type of activities found on RCI, NCL and Carnival, then Princess might not not be a good fit.  Lots of middle age (and up) folks that like to relax with the emphasis on serenity and peace and quiet.  Only you and he know what level of activity he will be happy with.

I would say IF you want to try Princess go for the newer ships and ports you have never been to before.  A good product, beautiful ships but Princess is not RCI as far as grown up activities .   Pools and gym yes.  

Edited by waltd
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, MillbrookMom said:

...and essentially my husband is just a big kid who likes to stay active.

I don't think any line does more to keep pasengers of all ages engaged that Carnival.

It was too much energy for us, a one-and-done, but they certainly always had something going on.

Princess clientele, you ask? I would say the demographic for Princess is, with some generous leeway, at or nearing retirement age, white collar, likes enrichment lectures, has higher expectations for meals and drinks than average tastes. Again, similar to Celebrity, but maybe a bit less stuffy.

Also consider shore excursions. as I recall, Carnival focused more on activity.

Princess excursions lean toward cultural and historic interest, though some active excursions offered too. 

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MillbrookMom said:

What we like about Royal is the number of activities to keep my husband busy (he gets easily bored and loves the rock climbing, surf simulator etc).

Sorry - Princess is not for you.  End of !

4 hours ago, MillbrookMom said:

We have always cruised Royal Caribbean (with 1 NCL and one Celebrity).  We would very much like to try other cruiselines and are thinking of Princess next.  What we like about Royal is the number of activities to keep my husband busy (he gets easily bored and loves the rock climbing, surf simulator etc).  Now we don't need those things, but are looking for recommendations on ships that would have the most things to keep an active person occupied.  Thanks in advance.

Hi!  Welcome to Princess!

We're an active family and love the Discovery as there's a lot to do up on deck, there's a jogging track with interval workout stations, which is never very crowded (probably 'cause a lot of passengers aren't the most active!)  During the afternoon, you'll see the production cast working out in the gym, not many others. There's fitness classes too, and a spa onboard. Pure Barre, and Zumba usually on sea days. There's fun trivia (at night, trivia topics are 80's, Disney, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc. Also ABBA and Broadway)!  Speaking of the production cast, don't miss the production shows!  They're chock full of new and loud (old folks aren't too happy) Aerosmith, GNR, George Michael, Sara Barrielles, etc. They have drink demos on deck, also Movies under the stars on the big screen by the pool during the day and night!  Movies currently are Free Guy, Thor Love and Thunder, Jurassic World Dominion, Elvis, Uncharted, Doctor Strange Multiverse, etc. There's also deck parties (usually one at night per cruise).  We are usually running from one event to another and we're never bored.  If you do need downtime, there are about a zillion movies and TV shows on demand (many categories) on your stateroom TV.  You can also stop your TV, and pickup where you left of on any device around the ship.  And room service you can order to deliver around the ship too, not just in your room.  

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Hi!  Welcome to Princess!

Thank you for the welcome and all the information.  I think based on all your info and the other comments, that we will still try Princess and maybe look at something port intensive.  That way we have lots to keep us busy each day on and off the ship.  Thanks so much for a different perspective.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MillbrookMom said:

Thank you for the welcome and all the information.  I think based on all your info and the other comments, that we will still try Princess and maybe look at something port intensive.  That way we have lots to keep us busy each day on and off the ship.  Thanks so much for a different perspective.

You're welcome.  🙂  Also consider there's LOTS of people who are active and love Princess, and aren't online complaining about this, that and the other thing!  

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

The difference is that those kids are most likely in the programs onboard that cater to children.  Think arts and crafts, treasure hunts etc.  as there are no rides or climbing walls or Flo Riders.  Just swimming pools/hot tubs.

What you posted is very true but if those same kids were given the opportunity to choose for themselves, I suspect they would have chosen a more active cruise line than Princess. 

On 3/18/2023 at 3:31 PM, MillbrookMom said:

There have been kids on a few of our Princess cruises but they don’t have things like rock climbing walls, slides at the pool, or wave riders.  There is no Central Park or pool games.  
the clientele, based on the cruises we’ve been on with Princess, is a bit of an older crowd. Granted, most of our cruises are 10 days or over and from the west coast.  So, maybe our assessment isn’t the norm.  
There is trivia and there is ring toss and corn hole in the piazza.  There are also crafting classes, and even some Zumba classes.  Lots of shopping opportunities and some good bands …

We’ve just been on several different cruislines and for those wanting stay more active, Princess is definitely not the first cruiseline that comes to mind.  

• Like 2