Tendering 2 days in Lahaina - would appreciate recommendations/suggestions within walking distance from dock

Traveller1212

42 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

n theory, you could walk to Kamehameha Iki Park and get in the ocean there, but the beach might or might not be there, depending in tide. See the map below.

Similar to what you said I was going to say that there is a small sand area (tough to call it a beach) at the very beginning of the breakwater behind the elementary school. You access it by walking down along the harbor along Wharf and then onto Canal St. I was just there a few weeks ago to catch a glimpse of the old Rotterdam (now Borealis) that was anchored off Lahaina. 

It is VERY rocky-- not recommended but if you must get into the water in Lahaina proper you could in theory do it there. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 8:58 AM, john2003 said:

Thanks. Maybe we did go elsewhere to a beach and I have just forgotten. Sounds as though the bus is a good bet so we can do that to Whalers. 

Yes, the Maui Bus is easy, so is a taxi.

On 4/17/2023 at 5:04 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

When I'm wrong (and I am often) and someone is kind enough to correct me without being snarky, I am typically appreciative and offer my thanks. 

But we're all different.

That's what makes the world go around :). 

We did the Lahaina Maui port - tendered with Ovation OTS - 1st day we enjoyed a few hours at Ka-anapali Beach - and Whalers Village also Hula Grill, the beach the Village and Hula Grill all excellent! Then we walked part beach and part boardwalk to the Royal Lahaina Resort for the Myths of Maui Luau...then cab or uber back to ship, next day headed to Wailea area to a Resort Beach, then back to ship, all was great, nil problems, and the rides there and back on both directions are part of the attraction/site seeing.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just checked and can't seem to find any tours in Lahaina . We are not water sports people. Does anyone have any thoughts? Our ship will be there October 15 from 8-6

Victor is all booked and cruise line has us on a wait list. Hubby won't drive so????

Thanks for your help

33 minutes ago, floridababa said:

Just checked and can't seem to find any tours in Lahaina . We are not water sports people. Does anyone have any thoughts? Our ship will be there October 15 from 8-6

Victor is all booked and cruise line has us on a wait list. Hubby won't drive so????

Thanks for your help

Google "shore excursions lahaina" and you'll find lots of websites offering tours.

10 hours ago, floridababa said:

Everything sold out for October

LOL. In just a couple of minutes I found a number of available Lahaina tours for October 15, including several listed on Trip Advisor's "Maui Tours" list.

1 hour ago, floridababa said:

I will be on a cruise ship so tours come back too late or do not pick up at port

Thanks anyways

I've seen several available ones that start in Lahaina, depart 9AM to mid-day, and return you to Lahaina in ample time to reboard. But maybe none of the available tours appeal to you.

I hope that you have better luck as you get closer to the dates of your cruise.

5 hours ago, pelkoger said:

Looking for a beach on the bus route that also has chair etc rental. Are taxis at pier also if we decide to do that  thanks 

What pier? Is your ship tendering at Lahaina or is it docking in Kahului? Will make a huge difference. 

34 minutes ago, pelkoger said:

Tendering into lahania. Appreciate all information. Thanks 

Options are limited but you do have options. Your best bet will be to take the bus or Uber North to Kaanapali Beach from Lahaina. Fantastic beach- ranked one of the best in the world. I know The Whaler (a condo complex) and I think the Westin resort will rent beach chairs to non-guests-- both bookend Whalers Village which has a bunch of restaurants/bars/shops. The bus will take you to Whalers Village or direct your Uber there. 

The rest of resorts along the beach don't rent chairs/beach services to non-guests. You'll need to bring towels as neither The Whaler or Westin will rent you those and just keep in mind that while you can access all the resorts along the beach's bars and restaurants, they all vigorously police their pools for guests only.  

• 2 weeks later...

"Tendering 2 days in Lahaina - would appreciate recommendations/suggestions within walking distance from dock"

The answer for the foreseeable future might be "nothing". The Lahaina fire devastated the area where the tender dock is. It isn't even clear the tender dock survived. The 122  year old Pioneer Inn at the tender dock did not survive.

I would expect cruise lines to drop Maui or divert to Kahului, if there is a berth available.

• Like 1

As resources on Maui are limited, I would hope/expect that the Governor works with the major hotels to find a way to feed and house the thousands displaced by fire.  Tourists should be "strongly discouraged" (read that as stopped) for a few weeks at a minimum, and then brought back in areas outside Lahaina.  I realize that disturbs peoples plans, but this is a major disaster.  Vacations are a nicety, basic food and shelter are a necessity.

Cruise ships should avoid the island for the foreseeable future.  Visit other islands for that day.  

Hope the people of Maui can rebuild their lives. 

• Like 2

This thread breaks my heart. In the blink of an eye; the town is gone. 

I can not personally verify any of the links in this article, but what Maui needs now is money. It's not like Katrina where we can send in caravans of volunteers because there is no housing and limited food on island. Rebuilding Paradise, California took 2 years before some assemblance of normalcy. It just won't be that fast on Maui as the challenges to rebuilding on an island vs mainland are significant.

Please consider donating.

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/how-you-can-donate-and-help-support-maui-communities-right-now/

• Like 1

Devastation on the scale of Lahaina is incredibly difficult on an island @BermudaBound2014. I have some personal knowledge of the effort required after my son spent nearly a year in San Juan. And while this is a FEMA Region 9 issue (based in Oakland), I won't be surprised if his Region 10 (Seattle) could get involved as well. To protect his anonymity I won't mention his title/role but it's not unrealistic to think he might be deployed there in the next couple weeks providing management support for the 'boots on the ground' that will surely arrive very shortly. I'll do what I can to keep my ears open.  

• Like 2