Help with hotels pre-cruise Athens

azgrandmax3

I have been searching with no luck for opinions and recommendations for hotels in Athens Day before a cruise. If you will be so helpful and share your experience?  Would you stay there again?  Looking for a hotel that shuttles from and to airport. 

Thank you,

Joyce

You should scroll down to the thread below called "How do transfers work?" to see some discussions that may be helpful. You may want to consider a Princess pre-cruise hotel package, and they will take care of everything.

The only hotels that really provide transportation are airport hotels, similar to the U.S. 

Central Athens is at least a half hour away, and there are many ways to arrive--taxi, Uber, shuttle bus, metro, private car.

There are a myriad of hotels in Athens---you need to have budget parameters, know what area you might want to stay near, and have a preference for type of hotel (modern, traditional, B & B, luxury, etc.), before we can make recommendations.  I am also a member of various hotel membership groups, so that also has an impact on my selections, especially if I decide to book a hotel with points.  

I will be in Athens post-cruise in late July, so I am also researching hotels. However, I have been to Athens several times already, so I have some favorites already.

Have a great cruise!

We have stayed at the Grand Hyatt Athens previously on an NCL cruise.  I don't know for sure that the hotel directly has a shuttle...ours was arranged for by NCL for all who had booked through NCL for the hotel.  It was VERY nice!  From the rooftop pool you have a great view of the Acropolis.

• Like 1

A look at the Ports of Call board will help you find popular choices. If you want a hotel that has a shuttle, you will need to stay near the airport.

If you’re interested in being near the Acropolis and restaurants, a couple that come up often in the Plaka area are AD Athens and Athens Gate

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/463-greece-ports/

Edited by Torfamm

I stayed at Athens Gate, recommended on Cruise Cruise.  The hotel has a restaurant and is close to the HOHO bus.

I used www.welcomepickups.com from airport to hotel and hotel to port the next day.

We've been to Athens but it's our first time actually staying there.  I checked the usual chains but after a bit of research selected the Electra Metropolis Athens.  It's a newer hotel that is very near the Plaka.  We need to arrange transportation from the airport and to the port but this looks very nice.

We've stayed in Athens pre-cruise on a couple of occasions at the Electra Palace Hotel.  This was pre-covid of course.  It was a very clean, modern and comfortable hotel, well located within short walking distance for local restaurants, shopping, and a longer walk for the Acropolis, etc.  Transfer from the airport was by taxi, no booking, just taken from the rank, less than 30 minutes travel I think,  and another taxi from the hotel to port, maybe a 20 minute transfer, flagged down by the door porter on the morning.  I can't remember the cost of the taxis I'm afraid, but my recollection is that they were quite reasonable.

Edited by abo

42 minutes ago, phabric said:

I stayed at Athens Gate, recommended on Cruise Cruise.  The hotel has a restaurant and is close to the HOHO bus.

I used www.welcomepickups.com from airport to hotel and hotel to port the next day.

I almost booked Athens Gate but found Elia Ermou Athens Hotel to less expensive for my dates.  I found both on the ports of call board.

12 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We have stayed at the Grand Hyatt Athens previously on an NCL cruise.  I don't know for sure that the hotel directly has a shuttle...ours was arranged for by NCL for all who had booked through NCL for the hotel.  It was VERY nice!  From the rooftop pool you have a great view of the Acropolis.

Here is the view I spoke of:

Acroplois.jpg

• Like 1

We are staying in the Intercontinental Athenaeum Athens the night before our cruise. We had booked it through Princess with a transfer from the airport the day before and then a transfer to port . We have never stayed there before but the reviews looks good

16 hours ago, azgrandmax3 said:

Looking for a hotel that shuttles from and to airport. 

You won't find one if you are looking to stay in Central Athens.  And you don't need one.  Taxis are fine.  Mostly Mercedes Benz or other large vehicles.  Taxi drivers are professional, kind and speak English.  You can also take the Metro, but I don't advise it if you have a lot of luggage or aren't familiar with the system.  There are times when you need to get off at one station and transfer to a different train (though at the same station, so it is just a matter of getting off and waiting for the next train to arrive).  But the metro system, though great in its own right, isn't so great if you aren't familiar with names written in Greek.  Also, depending on where your hotel in Athens is, you could have a decent walk from the nearest station.  Some hotels sit on top of stations such as those at Syntagma Square, while other hotels could be a 10 minute walk from the nearest stop, and with luggage that can be a pain.  Just take a taxi.  And as is the case in all major cities, there are driver services that will pre-arrange a pickup.  I have done that many tines when we had more than 2 people and more than a "normal" amount of luggage.  The cost for a pre-arranged van was very comparable to what taxis charge, so it's not as if you are paying for a limo.