Celebrity at a crossroads

JLS07

9 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

I'm DONE with the mass market lines that masquerade as premium. This includes Celebrity, Holland America, & Princess. Everything from new ship design, food, service, lack of attention to detail, constant gimmicky revenue production. Been cruising over 30 years & I think the lines I mentioned have become ghostly shadows of their former selves. 

Enter Viking Ocean! Higher price point, but worth every penny. It's as if the founder(Torstein Hagen) saw my personal wish list for a cruise line then went to work, creating Viking. 

Oh I completely agree with this. And what's funny is they are still trying to masquerade as "premium lines" (a cut above the mass market ones). I don't know if Princess was every truly premium, but I do believe, based on our past experiences and sailings, that Celebrity and Holland America once were, at least to a degree. Sadly, that is no longer the case for either one of them. To me there is now no difference between the so called premium lines and the mainstream. Holland America, our favorite line, has completely changed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SSFrance69 said:

I agree and that's exactly how I felt about my first cruise on Oceania earlier this month. What a fabulous ship. Food and service the best I've ever had. It's a bit more pricey, but also has the added value of included water, soda, special coffee and specialty restaurants. I have a cruise already booked for Celebrity in July but after that I think we will stick with Oceania. 

Love Oceania. It has replaced Celebrity for us. And, for now, we still cruise Holland America, but it has gone downhill as well.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bigbadandugly said:

Dude - they cut the prime rib and other prime cuts of beef from the MDR menu for 2023.  Enough said.

Dude - Prime Rib was on Millenium’s MDR menu last night. Enough said. 

Stay current, my friend. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, JLS07 said:

Where is the lie in his statement?

it is about $25 a day for non-alcoholic drinks and $100+ for alcohol. So you have to have 5 drinks a day to cover the difference in pricing. 

That is a lot. 

? Where did I say there was a lie? I took exception to being called a alcoholic as we always buy the package and love it, drink all day, all drinks not just alcohol and no stress about building up a big bill.

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 6

On this (now long) thread, having read the positive and negative comments, minor skirmishes, and the grasses greener on various other cruise lines, I don't think Celebrity is at a crossroads.  I think Celebrity loyalist cruisers are at a crossroads.  But if I go back a year, 2 years, 5 years and 10 years, I would find the exact same type of thread.  Some of us have tried other cruise lines, but have come back and are still posting here and still sailing Celebrity.  If anybody finds the absolute perfect cruise line at the price point (for them) stick to it.  And let us know what it is and where to find your posts going forward!😀  But nothing wrong with variety of cruise lines and ships.  We all need new adventures.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruisingWalter said:

Dude - doesn't affect me or my enjoyment of Celebrity cruises. What affects you doesn't matter to others. 

Not sure why you’re interpreting my comments as directed towards personal preferences, but I can only surmise that you did not read the two sentences that I explicitly separated from the rest of his elongate response for clarity. Let me reiterate his comments that I was specifically responding to:

Celebrity still seems to be the same Celebrity it always has been... Still great service, food and ships.”

if you want other examples from what other members of this board have posted, I would add:

- lobster tails are small (certainly not like the monster served by Oceania a few posts up from mine) and they now charge extra for a second scrawny lobster

- drink packages have jumped over 20% 

There are many other changes as well, but it is patently wrong to say that it’s the same old Celebrity it has always been. Whether they impact your cruise experience or not is a personal matter as you state, but I did not address that at all.

17 hours ago, bigbadandugly said:

The drink package is now priced for alcoholics so I'm fine going a la carte and we can do with detaching from the Internet for a week.

15 hours ago, JLS07 said:

Where is the lie in his statement?

it is about $25 a day for non-alcoholic drinks and $100+ for alcohol. So you have to have 5 drinks a day to cover the difference in pricing. 

That is a lot. 

Really? The premium package includes drinks up to $17 now. Breaking even really doesn't require much drinking.

For example, I like creative, fun cocktails, so I'm thoroughly looking forward to sailing on the Ascent, where I can enjoy interesting drinks at Eden and World Class Bar. And I might even still have to pay an extra $1 or $2 for the cocktails at those locations. This, plus wine or cocktails at dinner, some post-dinner drinks at the martini bar, and a night cap, I'm saving money. And I didn't even mention the specialty coffees or sparkling water. I also didn't mention that the per day price of a package comes down even further if you book AI, which we do. 

No one is forcing you to drink that amount, but doing so definitely does not make someone an alcoholic, especially on vacation. C'mon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, redjetz said:

Two things - some people indulge more on vacation without being alcoholics.  Also, included in the package is bottled water, specialty coffees and juices.

Easy to have a couple specialty coffees before or after breakfast, a water during the morning, a beer or glass of wine with lunch, another couple bottles of watermelon at the pool, a pre dinner cocktail, a glass of wine wine with dinner. You will have hit the daily limit easily and not be buzzed at all, let alone drunk. 

Most of us wouldn’t do that daily at home, but easy to do on vacation, even if you clearly wouldn’t.

Well, the example you listed is about that a typical sea day is for me and the non-alcoholic package plus paying per drink is cheaper.  You are about 14 drinks behind on a 7 day cruise from break even.

3 hours ago, bigbadandugly said:

Not sure why you’re interpreting my comments as directed towards personal preferences, but I can only surmise that you did not read the two sentences that I explicitly separated from the rest of his elongate response for clarity. Let me reiterate his comments that I was specifically responding to:

Celebrity still seems to be the same Celebrity it always has been... Still great service, food and ships.”

if you want other examples from what other members of this board have posted, I would add:

- lobster tails are small (certainly not like the monster served by Oceania a few posts up from mine) and they now charge extra for a second scrawny lobster

- drink packages have jumped over 20% 

There are many other changes as well, but it is patently wrong to say that it’s the same old Celebrity it has always been. Whether they impact your cruise experience or not is a personal matter as you state, but I did not address that at all.

The lobster tail on Reflection last week was not small and to be honest, that picture from Oceania does not look appetizing to ME at all.

3 hours ago, bigbadandugly said:

In terms of my enjoyment of Celebrity cruises, it's the same Celebrity it's always been. Incredible staff, great food, great service and beautiful ships. I have absolutely zero issues with any changes they have been making in terms of food portions, what they serve, etc... EVERY cruise line has changed since the pandemic. They went 2 years with zero income while maintaining fleets of ships. So yes, food portions are going to change, the items they serve are going to change, but that's a business reality after bleeding out money for 2 years. It'll take a while for that to catch up, even with the record breaking bookings. So a 'smaller lobster tail' doesn't mean it's "patently wrong to say it's the same old Celebrity." Absolutely it is, times change, cruise lines change, that's a continual evolution. And this is the biggest evolution in the history of cruising, making a comeback after a 2 year shut down. 

Honestly what I see described by so many people as "Celebrity or (fill in the blank cruise line) going downhill" are minor. "Oh my god the lobster tails are smaller!" "Oh my god I have to pay for a second lobster tail!" "Oh my god there's only 15 items to choose from on the menu instead of 25!" "Oh my god they got rid of turndown service!" 

If the changes have a serious detriment to your enjoyment of (fill in the blank cruise line) then move on and find a 'better cruise line.' 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Everyone's cruise experience is highy subjective. 30 years ago my grandparents hated their one Holland America cruise. I thought I'd died & gone to heaven on my first Holland America during the same time as theirs. Viking Ocean isn't a match for some, while I'm besotted & think they're the best cruises I've ever sailed.

At the end of the day, has the cruise line, ship, crew, food, service, ect. met the expectations of individual passenger? Celebrity, Holland America, & Princess get a big FAIL from me.

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

In terms of my enjoyment of Celebrity cruises, it's the same Celebrity it's always been. Incredible staff, great food, great service and beautiful ships. I have absolutely zero issues with any changes they have been making in terms of food portions, what they serve, etc... EVERY cruise line has changed since the pandemic. They went 2 years with zero income while maintaining fleets of ships. So yes, food portions are going to change, the items they serve are going to change, but that's a business reality after bleeding out money for 2 years. It'll take a while for that to catch up, even with the record breaking bookings. So a 'smaller lobster tail' doesn't mean it's "patently wrong to say it's the same old Celebrity." Absolutely it is, times change, cruise lines change, that's a continual evolution. And this is the biggest evolution in the history of cruising, making a comeback after a 2 year shut down. 

Honestly what I see described by so many people as "Celebrity or (fill in the blank cruise line) going downhill" are minor. "Oh my god the lobster tails are smaller!" "Oh my god I have to pay for a second lobster tail!" "Oh my god there's only 15 items to choose from on the menu instead of 25!" "Oh my god they got rid of turndown service!" 

If the changes have a serious detriment to your enjoyment of (fill in the blank cruise line) then move on and find a 'better cruise line.' 

‘Tis only a flesh wound!

17B29A6B-9CC2-4C19-B17C-F027973A0B6D.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JLS07 said:

Well, the example you listed is about that a typical sea day is for me and the non-alcoholic package plus paying per drink is cheaper.  You are about 14 drinks behind on a 7 day cruise from break even.

JL, you can be sure I am satisfied with the package. As you seem satisfied with your approach, so we can just do our own thing.

• Like 3

Well, I did it.  Finally looked at the grass on the other side of Celebrity's fence and booked 14-night Regent Mariner for my 2024 TA out of Barcelona and will be jettisoning the Silhouette TA.  Wanted something other than MDR, but could NOT justify X's pricing for me, even with my zenith benefits.  Silhouette:  S2 $783/night ($850 OBC); A2 $450/night (lousy extra wifi, $50 OBC).  Regent Mariner:  Cat G $478/night ($150 OBC, $1000 OBC as new cruiser).  Regent includes everything, excursions, laundry, 24/7 room service, bigger cabin, etc.  So for $28/night more than A2, my decision sort of became a "which hand has the rock." 🤚👊  I'm really excited to try Regent and wish it weren't so far off; if I didn't have so much already invested in Nov Constellation TA (last of the FCCs), I'd be looking for something else this year, too.

Edit:  Regent's deposit is refundable, less $100 admin fee (the $100 admin fee is converted to a FCC).  Not like X's new nonrefundable deposit policy (fortunately, I book onboard so will only be out $100 for cancelling the Silhouette).

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Well, I did it.  Finally looked at the grass on the other side of Celebrity's fence and booked 14-night Regent Mariner for my 2024 TA out of Barcelona and will be jettisoning the Silhouette TA.  Wanted something other than MDR, but could NOT justify X's pricing for me, even with my zenith benefits.  Silhouette:  S2 $783/night ($850 OBC); A2 $450/night (lousy extra wifi, $50 OBC).  Regent Mariner:  Cat G $478/night ($150 OBC, $1000 OBC as new cruiser).  Regent includes everything, excursions, laundry, 24/7 room service, bigger cabin, etc.  So for $28/night more than A2, my decision sort of became a "which hand has the rock." 🤚👊  I'm really excited to try Regent and wish it weren't so far off; if I didn't have so much already invested in Nov Constellation TA (last of the FCCs), I'd be looking for something else this year, too.

WOW!

We're also looking at  Regent after friends switched over last year.

But the fact that you're obviously a really loyal Celebrity passenger (Zenith!) says a lot!

Enjoy your cruise - I know you will!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruisingWalter said:

image.jpeg.144aa6c1e6a2ead7070d88ed3c587bd4.jpeg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Edit:  Regent's deposit is refundable, less $100 admin fee (the $100 admin fee is converted to a FCC).  Not like X's new nonrefundable deposit policy (fortunately, I book onboard so will only be out $100 for cancelling the Silhouette).

Wow.  I never thought I'd be reading this.  I guess anything is possible (i.e. there is no spoon).  I hope you enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Wow.  I never thought I'd be reading this.  I guess anything is possible (i.e. there is no spoon).  I hope you enjoy your cruise.

David, I never imagined I could afford Regent, but turns out I can't afford anything more than a concierge cabin on Celebrity.  There is no spoon.  

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

As the original poster for this thread, this was not the intention of the thread.  I don't care that they charge for another lobster tail (in all my cruises I might have had two one time), nor do I care that prime rib was taken from the menu (it actually was on the last night's menu a couple weeks back).

What I do care is two things:

1) there are some cuts that decrease the elegance to me such as removing the cloth towels in the bathroom, and not having larger Evian level water bottles available (hate the metal bottles, and the smaller Panna ones are just too small), not having better cuts of meat available in the MDR (NY Strip).  These are minor issues but a direction I don't like.

2) the clear decision to target a kind of crowd that isn't as refined when compared to Celebrity pre-pandemic.  Someone pointed out that the Edge class targets these individuals and I think they are correct.  The kind of behavior I have witnessed in the last two cruises is simply lower class than before.  Fall down drunks, cursing, inappropriate clothing, etc.  We never saw this kind of behavior before and I do think that Celebrity is specifically targeting a different kind of traveler with the Edge class ships than they had before.

And from a demographics, continuing the business model, it makes sense.  The previous target market is significantly older, probably travels less and likely spends less (less excursions, less drinking, etc). While we were not in the age group of that demographic, the kind of cruise that they were interested in fit into our desires too.

Celebrity was great for families that wanted a higher elegance, some activities for kids (kids club) without 1,000 screaming kids onboard, some night life options without the focus being get fall down drunk, all the while not breaking the budget cruise. I am not sure that this is what they will be moving forward.  I am also not sure that a cruise like that exists at all anymore though. 

Edited by JLS07
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, JLS07 said:

As the original poster for this thread, this was not the intention of the thread.  I don't care that they charge for another lobster tail (in all my cruises I might have had two one time), nor do I care that prime rib was taken from the menu (it actually was on the last night's menu a couple weeks back).

What I do care is two things:

1) there are some cuts that decrease the elegance to me such as removing the cloth towels in the bathroom, and not having larger Evian level water bottles available (hate the metal bottles, and the smaller Panna ones are just too small), not having better cuts of meat available in the MDR (NY Strip).  These are minor issues but a direction I don't like.

2) the clear decision to target a kind of crowd that isn't as refined when compared to Celebrity pre-pandemic.  Someone pointed out that the Edge class targets these individuals and I think they are correct.  The kind of behavior I have witnessed in the last two cruises is simply lower class than before.  Fall down drunks, cursing, inappropriate clothing, etc.  We never saw this kind of behavior before and I do think that Celebrity is specifically targeting a different kind of traveler with the Edge class ships than they had before.

And from a demographics, continuing the business model, it makes sense.  The previous target market is significantly older, probably travels less and likely spends less (less excursions, less drinking, etc). While we were not in the age group of that demographic, the kind of cruise that they were interested in fit into our desires too.

Celebrity was great for families that wanted a higher elegance, some activities for kids (kids club) without 1,000 screaming kids onboard, some night life options without the focus being get fall down drunk, all the while not breaking the budget cruise. I am not sure that this is what they will be moving forward.  I am also not sure that a cruise like that exists at all anymore though. 

So because Walter doesn’t agree with you then his opinion is invalid is it, why? Presumably because his is positive.

Your second point says it’s clear that Celebrity are clearly targeting a less refined crowd. That’s a pretty condescending view to have of a whole bunch of posters here don’t you think? Who gave you the right to judge us? I respect you for your decision that Celebrity is no longer for you and I hope that you find a cruise line that has the elegance you require.  Please respect those of us that feel the opposite and don’t label us as falling over drunks, cursing and wearing inappropriate clothing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

On this (now long) thread, having read the positive and negative comments, minor skirmishes, and the grasses greener on various other cruise lines, I don't think Celebrity is at a crossroads.  I think Celebrity loyalist cruisers are at a crossroads.  But if I go back a year, 2 years, 5 years and 10 years, I would find the exact same type of thread.  Some of us have tried other cruise lines, but have come back and are still posting here and still sailing Celebrity.  If anybody finds the absolute perfect cruise line at the price point (for them) stick to it.  And let us know what it is and where to find your posts going forward!😀  But nothing wrong with variety of cruise lines and ships.  We all need new adventures.

So true! As they say, variety is the spice of life! 😃

We started with HAL back in 2012 with a few Celebrity (Galapagos and Alaska), Princess (Australia/NZ), and Crystal (Mexican Riviera and SE Asia) cruises mixed in between them. But we finally made the full switch to X and PCL when HAL implemented their Music Walk strategy in their effort to target a much younger crowd. Celebrity mainly for their transoceanic and Caribbean B2B itineraries, and Princess for their variety of unique 3-5+ week itineraries.

Heck, we even tried Oceania for a while, but determined their ships were just too small and "relaxing" for us, and we could get a suite on either PCL or X for the same price with all of the perks as an Oceania (A1) balcony cabin. Since making the switch we've also thrown in a few NCL (Med/Africa) and Disney (Alaska and Caribbean) cruises just to keep it all feeling like "new" every time we go on a cruise. But I will say now that I'm 70, it's much easier to treat each cruise like a new experience, even though we've gone on more than 19 cruises since it all started back up! I'll let you figure out why since I forgot! 🤣

But I will say the most awesome cruise we've been on since cruising started back up, and possibly one of our all-time favorites, has been our recent 38-day B2B cruise on the NCL Jade in an aft-facing Club Balcony from Athens to Cape Town by way of Dubia! If you expand my signature below, you'll see my Live From thread. I know, who knew NCL offered awesome itineraries, let alone ones that were 19 days long! 🤣

My point being @TeeRick is right. "If anybody finds the absolute perfect cruise line at the price point (for them) stick to it.  And let us know what it is and where to find your posts going forward!😀  But nothing wrong with variety of cruise lines and ships.  We all need new adventures."

And I will continue to do my Live From threads on all of our upcoming cruises, regardless of which cruise line we're on. Not only for those that enjoy following along, but also to remind me of the fun we had on each of them once we get back! 😃

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Who are you trying to convince here? Different strokes..different folks..we all know how to price cruises. 

I’m sure Regent is nice and laid back…enjoy.  Smaller ships just aren’t for me. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Who are you trying to convince here? Different strokes..different folks..we all know how to price cruises. 

No problem.  I know several single cruisers who have been following this thread; two have emailed me with questions so I guess I'm providing the information for folks much like me.  I'm embarrassed I've allowed X to gaslight me for such a long time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1