Chair Hoggers (Funny or Annoying?)

Jeter02

Chair Hoggers (Funny or Annoy?)  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find chair hoggers to be annoying or funny?

• Hilarious 😂
    • Annoying 😡

9 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You could always get a cup of hot coffee and leave it on the table for reservation purposes. I prefer a water travel carry bag laid out across the table and hasn't failed me yet. 

Opolski Portable Water Bottle Carrier Insulated Cup Cover Bag Holder Protective Pouch

You certainly could, or leave a plate or even a fork, that would not make it right.

14 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You could always get a cup of hot coffee and leave it on the table for reservation purposes. I prefer a water travel carry bag laid out across the table and hasn't failed me yet. 

Opolski Portable Water Bottle Carrier Insulated Cup Cover Bag Holder Protective Pouch

Good point!  Thanks for bringing it up.  We also have our personal water bottles on the table.  On a port days, we take our backpacks with us to buffet too.  And we leave the backpacks, jackets on the chairs before heading out to get food.  On disembarkation day, we like to be the first to get off the ship and we take our carryons with us to the buffet.

Edited by CeCe_
  • Like 1

Just now, stevenr597 said:

You certainly could, or leave a plate or even a fork, that would not make it right.

It's not at all incorrect to hold a table that I will be using in 5 minutes. 

By your standards leaving a book/tablet/towel on a pool chair when you first arrive and then go to use the rest room would be inconsiderate. 😄 LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, MissP22 said:

It's not at all incorrect to hold a table that I will be using in 5 minutes. 

By your standards leaving a book/tablet/towel on a pool chair when you first arrive and then go to use the rest room would be inconsiderate. 😄 LOL

Problem is that many individuals do not "hold" a table or a seat in the theater, or a lounge chair, for just five minutes.  

7 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

You still do not seems to understand.  😄

Not all situations are the same!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevenr597 said:

Problem is that many individuals do not "hold" a table or a seat in the theater, or a lounge chair, for just five minutes.  

Well then, we can count on a Princess crew member to enforce the 30 minute time limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Really? we have seen two people holding 5 seats in the theater for a lot longer than "just five minutes" right in front of us.  You can't make that "statement" if you haven't seen it all.  

Now you start using "many ... do not", but in the buffet situation, you accused anyone who takes a table before getting food a "hog".  A very prejudice statement.

I believe you are a lounge chair hogger based on the above statement and all the debates in this thread.

Edited by CeCe_

37 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Well then, we can count on a Princess crew member to enforce the 30 minute time limit.

Yes, some individuals have to be told or instructed how to be courteous to others. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

Really? we have seen two people holding 5 seats in the theater for a lot longer than "just five minutes" right in front of us.  You can't make that "statement" if you haven't seen it all.  

Now you start using "many ... do not", but in the buffet situation, you accused anyone who takes a table before getting food a "hog".  A very prejudice statement.

I believe you are a lounge chair hogger based on the above statement and all the debates in this thread.

I don't believe I used the term hog.  To be clear, I do feel reserving tables in the buffet, lounge chairs at the pool, or seats in the theater shows a lack of courtesy to others.  

Some individuals will say, "just five minutes."  But when does it end, 10 minutes, 30 minutes.  Should one rush to the buffet when it opens, put a hat on the table and come back to eat 30 minutes later. 

31 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Some individuals will say, "just five minutes."  But when does it end, 10 minutes, 30 minutes.  Should one rush to the buffet when it opens, put a hat on the table and come back to eat 30 minutes later. 

Maybe they have to return back to their deck chair to reset the 30 minute clock? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Maybe they have to return back to their deck chair to reset the 30 minute clock? 

Or may the individual who is staying at the lounge chair, should realize that crew have better things to do then to remove clothing and other items from chairs that have not been in used for hours.

• Like 1

I understand holding a table/chair while you go to the buffet, get a drink, use the restroom, even spend some time in the pool (but not if you are spending hours in the pool...)

I sat at the pool on MSC Divina last month on a port day. Got there about 10AM. Many "saved" but managed a good spot. FOUR HOURS LATER when I left the 2 saved next to me were STILL empty--the savers had never shown up!

The selfishness astounds me--screw everyone else, as I want those chairs this afternoon!

I have to think, tho, that some on this site are those chair hogs...do they just not comment on such threads?😐

Edited by KKB
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, KKB said:

I understand holding a table/chair while you go to the buffet, get a drink, use the restroom, even spend some time in the pool (but not if you are spending hours in the pool...)

I sat at the pool on MSC Divina last month on a port day. Got there about 10AM. Many "saved" but managed a good spot. FOUR HOURS LATER when I left the 2 saved next to me were STILL empty--the savers had never shown up!

The selfishness astounds me--screw everyone else, as I want those chairs this afternoon!

I have to think, tho, that some on this site are those chair hogs...do they just not comment on such threads?😐

I agree that pool chair hogs are extremely inconsiderate and selfish.  I also agree that some of our members fall into this category.  However, I think saving your chair and table in the buffet is another story.  Most people leave the table periodically to refresh their drinks or to line up for their next plate of food.  Sometimes those lines can be long and take up more time than we like.  This is completely understandable and I would never judge anyone for doing so.  However, if you eat and then remain at that table and pull out the playing cards or mahjong board, then you’ve crossed over to the dark side.  Not nice!

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Just now, Lady Arwen said:

I agree that pool chair hogs are extremely inconsiderate and selfish.  I also agree that some of our members fall into this category.  However, I think saving your chair and table in the buffet is another story.  Most people leave the table periodically to refresh their drinks or to line up for their next plate of food.  Sometimes those lines can be long and take up more time than we like.  This is completely understandable and I would never judge anyone for doing so.  However, if you eat and then remain at that table and pull out the playing cards or mahjong board, then you’ve crossed over to the dark side.  Not nice!

Yeah but no one is going to be gone from a buffet table for more than 30 min.

On the Carnival Miracle in January, people OFTEN were playing games in the buffet area & at times it made getting a table challenging.

I don't get it. ALL the other places to be on the ship & THAT is where you MUST play? 

I guess if you just want to to refill your coffee for free all day, it's the place to play.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I take the largest table in the MDR and play solitaire all day long.

I've learned to ignore(?) chair issues, I show up earlier the next day!

I’m hoping you’re being witty and including us in your joke.  Nobody would ever do such an obviously selfish thing, since there is a card/games room on every ship for just that purpose.  

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

I don't believe I used the term hog.  To be clear, I do feel reserving tables in the buffet, lounge chairs at the pool, or seats in the theater shows a lack of courtesy to others.  

How long is too long?

• Like 1

I have seen people play cards in buffet during buffet close-down time, but rare.  It is exaggerated to say seeing mahjong table setup during peak eating time that is so noisy and distracting.  How possible is that?  I don't believe until I see it.

SiliconCruiser did not say the time when it occurred.  I'll take with a grain of salt.

Any officers in the buffet area would have shut it down. 

Edited by CeCe_

16 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

It is very annoying and difficult for people who are confined in mobility devices, when chair hogs hold ADA seating.  Even had one who acted as if she never heard of ADA (I was aware that she was an immigrant, but she spoke enough English to understand and probably lived in the SF Bay Area.)
But just as annoying was a person in one of the rental scooters who parked her scooter in one of the ADA cutouts and sat in the row behind it, using the scooter as a footrest, blocking access to two rows of seats.

Not all handicap people are confined in mobility devices. I am not  but I have issues that are not seen  but are considered a handicap.  Just because someone is not in a wheelchair does not mean they are not handicapped and should not be judged by people who do not know the passenger's situation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On our last Princess cruise last April, Wifey and I would play cards after our breakfast or lunch buffet.  It was right after cruises started back up from Covid. We would sit at the entrance area.  There was NEVER a crowd to where we were taking a table from someone who wanted to eat while we were taking our table for two.  Yes, we would generally take a window seat and watch the waves go by but there was ALWAYS seats available for eaters.  Painting card/dice/mahjong players with the same ‘chair hogging’ brush isn’t the answer.  

2 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

I have seen people play cards in buffet during buffet close-down time, but rare.  It is exaggerated to say seeing mahjong table setup during peak eating time that is so noisy and distracting.  How possible is that?  I don't believe until I see it.

SiliconCruiser did not say the time when it occurred.  I'll take with a grain of salt.

Any officers in the buffet area would have shut it down. 

I cruise a lot out of San Francisco, it happens on every cruise.that I've been on out of SF.  When? Generally after they finish their meal but sometimes in the middle of the afternoon as well.  It is a convenient venue, since they have easy access to hot water and tea.  I've never seen anyone shutting down a game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happy2cruise said:

Not all handicap people are confined in mobility devices. I am not  but I have issues that are not seen  but are considered a handicap.  Just because someone is not in a wheelchair does not mean they are not handicapped and should not be judged by people who do not know the passenger's situation.

There are cutouts in some rows in the theater intended to accommodate those who are confined to a mobility device, and there some with armrests that swing up to accommodate those who are able to transfer from a mobility device to a theater seat.  I don't understand why you feel entitled to take one of those seats away from people with mobility impairments.

27 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

There are cutouts in some rows in the theater intended to accommodate those who are confined to a mobility device, and there some with armrests that swing up to accommodate those who are able to transfer from a mobility device to a theater seat.  I don't understand why you feel entitled to take one of those seats away from people with mobility impairments.

Well stated and so true.