Gratuities and tipping

lvpet

We carry a pack of $2 bills on cruises for extra spiffs here and there.  Yes, after 35 years of cruising, I can say that it does make a difference, even at a crowded bar.  I don't know/care what sort of service you get, but I do know what service I get.  I will keep peeling of a $2 every 3-4 drinks.  I also use those $2 bills for room service deliveries.  Quick, easy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Tipping off the police and tipping the bartender are two horses of the same color, only the former is done with cash and the latter with information.  Both are getting something extra and are better off because of it.

Interesting, though I think you have transposed Former and Latter. Could you get Assure into the definition please?

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Out of curiosity, at what price point does Plus have to soar before we all agree that we have kicked in a sufficient sum such that additional payment is no longer required, regardless what hour the server arrives or how harried they appear to be behind the bar?  Plus has gone from $40 to $60 in a matter of a year and a half.  If they raise the fee to $200 per day, would that do it?  $150?  $75?  Isn't there a point where the term "Gratuities Are Included" has real meaning?

If the gratuities were $40 or $60 per day, no I probably would not tip on top of that, but the gratuity portion of the Plus package is only a portion of that fee. It also includes your drink package and Wi-Fi, plus premium desserts, juice bar, and fitness classes.  I just don’t think the gratuities of $14.50-$16.50 split among all crew members is enough, if you do then don’t tip.  It’s your choice to tip additional or not.

5 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

If the gratuities were $40 or $60 per day, no I probably would not tip on top of that, but the gratuity portion of the Plus package is only a portion of that fee. It also includes your drink package and Wi-Fi, plus premium desserts, juice bar, and fitness classes.  I just don’t think the gratuities of $14.50-$16.50 split among all crew members is enough, if you do then don’t tip.  It’s your choice to tip additional or not.

The $14.50-$16.50 is a separate line item.  The Plus package also includes the gratuity on drinks which would have been 18% of your order if you didn't buy the Package.  In other words, someone who does not buy a package and orders three drinks at $10 per drink pays $16.50 plus another $5.40 for a total of $21.90 in tips for that day.  The person who buys Plus contributes a similar amount, only it is baked in to the $60.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Interesting, though I think you have transposed Former and Latter

You are correct.  Thanks for the correction.

48 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Could you get Assure into the definition please?

I suppose we could, but then we would say: "I'm going to TAP the bartender" which could imply either an unwanted touching or something far more vulgar!  😉

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Guardsy said:

We carry a pack of $2 bills on cruises for extra spiffs here and there.  Yes, after 35 years of cruising, I can say that it does make a difference, even at a crowded bar.  I don't know/care what sort of service you get, but I do know what service I get.  I will keep peeling of a $2 every 3-4 drinks.  I also use those $2 bills for room service deliveries.  Quick, easy.

Here we go again.  A person with the $2 bills and maybe also some Sacagawea $1 coins also.  

DON

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Here we go again.  A person with the $2 bills and maybe also some Sacagawea $1 coins also.  

DON

I live near a store that loves to give change in $1 Susan B Anthony coins and $2 Jefferson bills.  I have a hard enough time getting other merchants to take them.  (People under the age of 30 refuse to believe that they are real!).  I can't imagine what the crew members encounter in countries around the world.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MTNest93 said:

T.I.P. - "to insure promptness", so it stands to reason that those who tip more would receive prompt service. 

That is a backronym. Tip is from early 17th century in the sense ‘give, hand, pass’.

4 hours ago, Guardsy said:

8 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

One of us holds up a couple fingers, and he starts our favorite drinks. Bam!  Front of the line. 

Now holding up a couple of fingers is extremely rude. You probably do not notice the response is some spittle in your drink.

Edited by brisalta
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I live near a store that loves to give change in $1 Susan B Anthony coins and $2 Jefferson bills.  I have a hard enough time getting other merchants to take them.  (People under the age of 30 refuse to believe that they are real!).  I can't imagine what the crew members encounter in countries around the world.  

The crew doesn’t have to worry about that..all cash tips are turned into the finance department onboard, and reported/accounted-for; then the entire fleets’ “tippable” crew, gets that cash evenly split amongst them, in their pay check.

Edited by KarmaCruisers
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, KarmaCruisers said:

The crew doesn’t have to worry about that..all cash tips are turned into the finance department onboard, and reported/accounted-for; then the entire fleets’ “tippable” crew, gets that cash evenly split amongst them, in their pay check.

If you believe all those cash tips get turned in, I have a cruise ship to sell you🛳🛳

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, KarmaCruisers said:

Nope

• Like 2

I think that this tipping business is very much cultural.

At one end of the spectrum you have, mainly but not exclusively, the US approach where it is a way of life that everybody tips everyone for everything to the other extreme with the likes of Australia where nobody tips anyone for anything (although that is changing), and then you have all points in-between.

I will, and do, tip over and above if I have received good service and in my experience of cruise ships the crew do "work their tips" but I am not going to be pressurised into paying "bribes" in the expectation that I will get preferential treatment over the next person.

Edited by david63
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, david63 said:

I am not going to be pressurised into paying "bribes" in the expectation that I will get preferential treatment over the next person.

Amen.

And I have yet to see any proof that these bribes do provide any better service, other than in the mind of the giver. 

I am especially amused by those who believe that by tipping for room service,  that they then receive speedier service in the future.  How exactly do they know that ? It's not as if they can see that their order has received some form of preferential treatment.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cindyflora said:

But how do you find $2 bills anymore?????

I don’t have first hand knowledge myself.  But, I’ve heard that many strip clubs give change in $2 bills as a way to increase earnings for their dancers. Of course, most banks also have $2.

• Haha 1

I always find this topic interesting as it shows up a real cultural difference between US and UK. Here in the UK tipping is not the norm in bars and much less in Hospitality generally. P & O and other UK based lines have removed all the gratuities ,  they have just rolled into the cost of the cruise, which suits our mentality better. On Princess if we have the Plus package would not think to tip. If not on Plus would not add to the 18% already added.  Having said that we usually tip the room steward if they are up to usual standard.

What the crew want is their service marked as 5 stars on the questionnaire.

PS Not sure but I think it is illegal to tip in Australia 

2 hours ago, Neil_c said:

I always find this topic interesting as it shows up a real cultural difference between US and UK. Here in the UK tipping is not the norm in bars and much less in Hospitality generally. P & O and other UK based lines have removed all the gratuities ,  they have just rolled into the cost of the cruise, which suits our mentality better. On Princess if we have the Plus package would not think to tip. If not on Plus would not add to the 18% already added.  Having said that we usually tip the room steward if they are up to usual standard.

What the crew want is their service marked as 5 stars on the questionnaire.

PS Not sure but I think it is illegal to tip in Australia 

In the US system, tipping is what keeps service people from being underpaid.

Base salaries are very low assuming they will get tipped to make up the difference over the long run. If they are exceptional, they may even make more than if they were just paid salary.

The people best suited for the job are both competent and personable. Those lacking either will quit or get fired. The US way is both effective and brutal. 

Edited by roadster08

Our experience on our last Princess cruise - This was back when they had Happy Hour each day.  Went the first day.  It was packed.  Joined two Australian gentlemen at a four top.  When we left, we left $5 on the table - not expecting anything in return.  Showed up the next day.  It was packed.  The waiter found us and said he had our table ready.  The four of us enjoyed the hour getting to know each other.  Left $5 on the table.  After that, everyday our table was set with our drinks of choice.  This was a 30 night cruise.  We got tired of their snack offering.  We started buying our own on shore.  Now the waiter added empty bowls on our table for our snacks.  We always left what we did not eat on the table for the crew - in the original container.  I assume they appreciated it because they started making requests.  It is my understanding that Happy Hour does not exist anymore so this will not work on our next Princess cruise.  And, yes, the added 18% gratuity was on our bill.  We did not have a drink package.  The Australian gentlemen had no problem with us dropping a US $5 bill on the table each day.  Other passengers did make comments about how we always had the same table.  We just told them we were lucky.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Amen.

And I have yet to see any proof that these bribes do provide any better service, other than in the mind of the giver. 

I am especially amused by those who believe that by tipping for room service,  that they then receive speedier service in the future.  How exactly do they know that ? It's not as if they can see that their order has received some form of preferential treatment.

Because you've never done it, so you don't reap the benefit.

A nice tip to the restaurant manager on embarkation day works to find a window table for dinner at our desired time works. Every single time. We learned this from a fellow passenger years ago, how the game is played.

Bartenders see us and do a nod to acknowledge us if their hands are busy making drinks, and serve us quickly.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Bartenders see us and do a nod to acknowledge us if their hands are busy making drinks, and serve us quickly. 

eye contact and a nod is all you need if you want your 'regular order'

• Like 1