TOURS TO ARCADIA NATIONAL PARK

shiny1

first time visiting Arcadia National Park. Sailing on Emerald Princess. The ships tours are very pricey and wondered if anyone has used a local tour company? 
It sounds nice to be a smaller group on a private tour. 
Thanks for any help!

We also booked through Acadia National Park....our guide/driver was amazing. And they have marked parking spots for their bus to stop at...this is a great addition that other tours don't have.

Edited by Ashland

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

We also booked through Acadia National Park....our guide/driver was amazing.

Just to be certain: the name of the bus company is National Park Tours and Transport, Inc., USDOT 2435195, which does business as Acadia National Park Tours. The National Park Service does not, itself, operate any buses at Acadia National Park.

25 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Just to be certain: the name of the bus company is National Park Tours and Transport, Inc., USDOT 2435195, which does business as Acadia National Park Tours. The National Park Service does not, itself, operate any buses at Acadia National Park.

Post #5 is the company we used..pretty self explanatory. But thanks for your input.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cmvan25 said:

Has anyone rented a Gem Car at Bar Harbor?  We’ve rented a 4-seater for the day - hoping it will be fun and get us around the island!

You really don't need it. Just get off the tender and walk around. There's plenty to do and see in the immediate area. You'll waste too much time getting and returning the rental.

• Like 1

https://www.exploreacadia.com/index.html shows timetables and routes for the free Island Explorer Bus.

From the tendering area, walk up Main St. to the Village Green.  Check in at the visitors booth on the Village Green (get bus map and pay entrance fee for Acadia National Park or show Senior National Park Pass here).  Take Island Explorer Bus #3 to Otter Point parking area.  Hike the Ocean Path (easy, 4.4 miles) back to Sand Beach.  If you want a shorter hike, get off at Otter Cliff.  Ocean Path is mostly flat and parallels the loop road, offering scenic views and numerous access points to outcroppings above the rocky shore, including major attractions like Thunder Hole and Otter Cliff.  Then taken Bus # 4 to Jordan Pond.  Have lunch here by the lake.  Very good chowder and popovers.

Return to town on bus #4 or 5 and look at the shops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 6:07 AM, SueMo said:

https://www.exploreacadia.com/index.html shows timetables and routes for the free Island Explorer Bus.

From the tendering area, walk up Main St. to the Village Green.  Check in at the visitors booth on the Village Green (get bus map and pay entrance fee for Acadia National Park or show Senior National Park Pass here).  Take Island Explorer Bus #3 to Otter Point parking area.  Hike the Ocean Path (easy, 4.4 miles) back to Sand Beach.  If you want a shorter hike, get off at Otter Cliff.  Ocean Path is mostly flat and parallels the loop road, offering scenic views and numerous access points to outcroppings above the rocky shore, including major attractions like Thunder Hole and Otter Cliff.  Then taken Bus # 4 to Jordan Pond.  Have lunch here by the lake.  Very good chowder and popovers.

Return to town on bus #4 or 5 and look at the shops.

Looks like the Island Explorer bus only operates June through October...

Is it worth taking an Acadia National Park tour while the road up Cadillac Mountain is closed (Early May)?

59 minutes ago, BigMattT said:

Looks like the Island Explorer bus only operates June through October...

Is it worth taking an Acadia National Park tour while the road up Cadillac Mountain is closed (Early May)?

I've been to Acadia twice and never been up Cadillac Mountain.  Sometimes it's really foggy in Bar Harbor, so going up high isn't going to give you any views.  The first time we visited it was so foggy the ship's tenders kept getting lost going to and from the ship!

21 minutes ago, SueMo said:

I've been to Acadia twice and never been up Cadillac Mountain.  Sometimes it's really foggy in Bar Harbor, so going up high isn't going to give you any views.  The first time we visited it was so foggy the ship's tenders kept getting lost going to and from the ship!

Oh my that’s foggy!

We’re there May 7. Ship tour excursion is sold out. I guess I’ll start calling around to see if we can find someone to taxi us to Jordan Pond for popovers and tea, and maybe a stop along the way.

4 minutes ago, BigMattT said:

Oh my that’s foggy!

We’re there May 7. Ship tour excursion is sold out. I guess I’ll start calling around to see if we can find someone to taxi us to Jordan Pond for popovers and tea, and maybe a stop along the way.

Oops! Just realized Jordan Pond Restaurant doesn't open until May 17th. Guess we'll just hop on a trolly! LOL

5 hours ago, BigMattT said:

Oops! Just realized Jordan Pond Restaurant doesn't open until May 17th. Guess we'll just hop on a trolly! LOL

I booked  the Oli’s Trolley tour Of Acadia. I’m there May 11th. On the website it says that may be the first day Cadillac Mtn opens up. If not Acadia is so pretty, there will be plenty else to see. 

On 3/23/2023 at 5:03 PM, Cruiser933 said:

We used Oli’s Trolley. We were very happy with them.

I just looked this up for my trip in September, it looks great.  Thank you so much for sharing the info!