gift bag ideas, crew appreciation

FrankieJayIII

9 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The crew that passengers interact with on a daily basis and can tip (room stewards, waiters, bartenders) come from countries where there is little economic opportunity or job prospects.  ....

There is a universal appreciation for cash by everyone.

I know if I was a steward, I would rather have cash than trinkets.  

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, damiross said:

I know if I was a steward, I would rather have cash than trinkets.  

It's both - the cash tip is set by us ... then, IN ADDITION, ... whatever ... and no, we are not forgoing the 'gifts' and giving that value in cash, sorry

I'm guessing if someone tipped in 'smokes' that steward may be able to barter that for pretty much whatever they want

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

It's both - the cash tip is set by us ... then, IN ADDITION, ... whatever ... and no, we are not forgoing the 'gifts' and giving that value in cash, sorry

I'm guessing if someone tipped in 'smokes' that steward may be able to barter that for pretty much whatever they want

All great stuff for an onboard flea market.

For me, I give gifts to people that I am close to--family, co-workers, friends--people I'm close to.  I don't give gift to strangers, which is what I consider ship crew.

For example, to people living in the U.S., would you leave a gift AND a cash tip to settle your restaurant check?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

For example, to people living in the U.S., would you leave a gift AND a cash tip to settle your restaurant check?  

If you interact with that server once, then no.  But I do give my bank teller and our favorite restaurant server a gift at Christmas.  The comparison is not valid.  Gifts are just that - gifts.  They should be accepted graciously -- even if they're pajamas from your grandmother that are meant for an 8 year old when you're 22.

9 hours ago, KYTess said:

I like to give our room steward something from home so we bring a small box of Woodford Reserve Bourbon balls and cash at the end 😉

Those things aren't cheap!  Please feel free to send some my way and I promise they will be very greatly appreciated! (Buffalo Trace has a similar item and they are also not inexpensive.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

yes your cash tips are turned in and taxed before being split amongst the entire fleet

Once and for all, No, this does not happen ! How does this fallacy continue to gain credence ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Crikey,  you still have bank tellers ? What do they do ? 

I have interacted with a bank teller twice within the past 12 months. Once to turn in a (very well done) counterfeit $100 bill I came across and the other time to deposit $8,500 in $100 bills from the sale of a vehicle.

Other than that I don't think I've actually been inside a bank for quite a few years.

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I have interacted with a bank teller twice within the past 12 months. Once to turn in a (very well done) counterfeit $100 bill I came across and the other time to deposit $8,500 in $100 bills from the sale of a vehicle.

Other than that I don't think I've actually been inside a bank for quite a few years.

Exactly  - I haven't needed to talk to anyone in my bank for 10 years !

In the UK, alarm bells would start ringing if you suddenly deposited that amount of cash  !

Edited by wowzz
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

It's true, I even picked up some Preparation H for him in one port.

That sounds like a very awkward situation in my opinion. Tylenol is one thing. PH is a whole other world.

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

I musta missed that post where someone posted they 'tipped' in gifts INSTEAD of cash. 

Yeah it sounds like they tipped in black socks because they got a good deal on them at the DollarStore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Crikey,  you still have bank tellers ? What do they do ? 

Deposits, withdrawals, wire transfers, gift cards, money orders, whatever I need.  I prefer to use cash as often as possible and also do some business overseas that's best handled through direct bank transfers.  I go to a small branch where I'm happy to wait for my favorite teller.  She's bright, knows her stuff and knows us. There's a lot to be said for personal service.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Humor? A ridiculous example of some things I have heard over the years on CC.

I found your posts to be very "tongue in cheek" but apparently others didn't see them that way. Ah, well. Text is really such a poor medium for many types of communication. Rest assured that at least one person understood your posts to be in jest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Exactly  - I haven't needed to talk to anyone in my bank for 10 years !

In the UK, alarm bells would start ringing if you suddenly deposited that amount of cash  !

I've been a customer of the bank for many (many!) years. I also generally maintain a fairly healthy balance in my checking account. They just had me swipe my card and asked why I was depositing the cash. I'm sure if I was some random person with no banking history they would almost certainly have called a manager to the window.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, david63 said:

I wouldn't disagree but are there "no string attached"? Giving $100, or any amount, is not in appreciation for services rendered but services to be rendered.

Ever heard the expression "there is no such thing as a free lunch"?

Of course I’ve heard at expression…but have you never met someone who liked you just for you,  not what they could gain from you?….I’m going to assume you are a nice person and you could…sure, maybe that wasn’t in a “service” position, but that doesn’t mean that some people GIVE without necessarily expecting anything in return.

I have never, nor has anyone I know, ever received a fistful of cash from a total stranger for no apparent reason, whether they liked me or not - and I have never given a fistful of cash to a total stranger and will not be doing.

5 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

Deposits, withdrawals, wire transfers, gift cards, money orders, whatever I need.  I prefer to use cash as often as possible and also do some business overseas that's best handled through direct bank transfers.  I go to a small branch where I'm happy to wait for my favorite teller.  She's bright, knows her stuff and knows us. There's a lot to be said for personal service.

No, I do all of that through internet banking. 

And what is that thing you call "cash"! 

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

I've been a customer of the bank for many (many!) years. I also generally maintain a fairly healthy balance in my checking account. They just had me swipe my card and asked why I was depositing the cash. I'm sure if I was some random person with no banking history they would almost certainly have called a manager to the window.

In the UK, regardless of your customer status, you wouid have needed to give a detailed,  written explanation as to how you came to have that amount of cash, and supply full details of the person who gave the money to you.

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And what is that thing you call "cash"! 

That is a concept that I am having a problem with. Having Googled it apparently it is bits of paper and chunks of metal that people back in the day used to exchange for goods - I doubt that it will ever catch on🤣🤣

Seriously I think this shows another divide between the US and many other countries. For all its perceived progression the US is backward in many respects - especially where money is concerned. Last time I was in the US (2019) there were virtually no places that used contactless payments yet in the UK almost everywhere accepts them and in New Zealand they have been virtually cash free way before the UK.

Edited by david63
  • Like 5

We've always given out gifts to many of the crew for no particular reason at all. Something they can enjoy & share with their friends. Sometimes it's along with a cash tip, many times not. You would be surprised at how many times over the years they remember us on the next cruise. 

It has nothing to do with bribery or trying to buy attention to get preferred service. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, david63 said:

That is a concept that I am having a problem with. Having Googled it apparently it is bits of paper and chunks of metal that people back in the day used to exchange for goods - I doubt that it will ever catch on🤣🤣

Seriously I think this shows another divide between the US and many other countries. For all its perceived progression the US is backward in many respects - especially where money is concerned. Last time I was in the US (2019) there were virtually no places that used contactless payments yet in the UK almost everywhere accepts them and in New Zealand they have been virtually cash free way before the UK.

Yet when we stayed in a hotel in Georgia last year, they couldn’t take cash. and wouldn’t take our U.K. card. We actually had to go to a local store and buy a cash value gift card for the hotel, which they would accept. 

1 hour ago, 555 said:

You would be surprised at how many times over the years they remember us on the next cruise. 

Yes, of course they will remember you, but probably not in a good way! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1