Just an FYI (No Passport Online Renewal

Ret MP

55 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

It actually says the reverse.   The 6 month rule is for Americans when the cruise's homeport isn't in the US.  

RCCL says:  

Accepted Identification for U.S. Citizens

• U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise ends. A U.S. Passport book is required for sailings that depart from homeports outside of the U.S.

I disagree.  "Accepted Identification for U.S. Citizens"   "U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise ends".  <(that's a period).  "A U.S. passport book is required for sailings that depart from homeports outside of the U.S". <(period).  Two separate situations, two separate requirements.  The first sentence is stand-alone.  The second is stand-alone.  Nothing to connect the two sentences.  

And all it is saying is that if you don't have an approved BC, a passport is required and it must have at least 6 months of validity after cruising. You can cruise all you want with an approved BC and other government-issued ID, on a Closed Loop cruise initiating from the U.S.

I'm not perfected.  I could be wrong.  But, I've been on too many of these social media boards and other discussions where people, some I actually cruised with, have said that they were told, at the port that their passports needed to be good for 6 months after cruising to get on the RCCL cruise ship.  Notice that I didn't say that they were turned away.  Also, I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV but I have some experience reading some very technical/legal documents.  The above is my interpretation of the policy.  Again, if lazy and/or untrained employees let you through, I can't help or justify that.

oh my gosh, just to continue on this.. trying to get a birth certificate out of NY for Albany, they will not send it to a PO box.. I live in the Alaska bush.. we ALL have PO boxes, the house numbers and addresses don't show up on google maps, because they don't exist, they are all made up.  So they wouldn't take my house number either, now say no PO address is allowed.  So on the Albany phone line, you can't talk to a person, it's the endless loop of hell, in which they claim covid is at fault. Can'' make this up.  

Now back to our regularly scheduled program of passport issues.  Had to vent the passport process!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

oh my gosh, just to continue on this.. trying to get a birth certificate out of NY for Albany, they will not send it to a PO box.. I live in the Alaska bush.. we ALL have PO boxes, the house numbers and addresses don't show up on google maps, because they don't exist, they are all made up.  So they wouldn't take my house number either, now say no PO address is allowed.  So on the Albany phone line, you can't talk to a person, it's the endless loop of hell, in which they claim covid is at fault. Can'' make this up.  

Now back to our regularly scheduled program of passport issues.  Had to vent the passport process!

Just curious:  Don't you have UPS and/or FEDEX shipping stores that have rental mailboxes but you use the store street address and box #, that's if you are remotely close to a town/city large enough to have such a thing?  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

Can you have it mailed to a family member or friend that has an actual street address and then have them forward it to you?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Just curious:  Don't you have UPS and/or FEDEX shipping stores that have rental mailboxes but you use the store street address and box #, that's if you are remotely close to a town/city large enough to have such a thing?  

THank you for your response, we don't have that, there are only 1200 that live here.  UPS, is a part time guy that takes his van to the airport, picks up boxes and delivers them when he feels like it.  Seriously. 

13 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Can you have it mailed to a family member or friend that has an actual street address and then have them forward it to you?

You are the best!  I would have to start the process over and give my brothers address, pay another 20 bucks, but this could work!!!! 

right now I received an email from Albany that required me to get a notarized letter that this is MY PO address, the upload it, then send it.  It will take three weeks for them to receive it from the bush in Alaska, again. I can't make this up.  But I think you have the best idea and I appreciate it!!!!  Going to start over with my brothers address in NY. 

I probably should have shared that we are travel nurses working in Dillingham Alaska, in the bush, kinda middle of nowhere and it's hard for folks to understand, there are two food stores, the clothing "store" is in the hardware store and Amazon takes three weeks to deliver.  We also have no stop lights. Somehow, I brought everything but my birth cert. here, which is likely in storage.  I could kick myself. 

Edited by nimbex1970

5 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

I probably should have shared that we are travel nurses working in Dillingham Alaska, in the bush, kinda middle of nowhere and it's hard for folks to understand, there are two food stores, the clothing "store" is in the hardware store and Amazon takes three weeks to deliver.  We also have no stop lights. Somehow, I brought everything but my birth cert. here, which is likely in storage.  I could kick myself. 

If you maintain an address in NY (if traveling isn't a permanent gig), you could also try contacting your state representatives' offices and see if they can help.

16 hours ago, Big_G said:

Based on advice here on CC, we sent our renewal in on March 13th, paid for expedited service (because we have a May cruise) and received them yesterday. 

Lucky you!  🙂   I sent mine in on the 11th, also expedited...but still nothing.  

Maybe I should have told them I need it for Canada in June.  😮 

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Lucky you!  🙂   I sent mine in on the 11th, also expedited...but still nothing.  

Maybe I should have told them I need it for Canada in June.  😮 

It boggles the mind the disparity in response times but it is the government so there's that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, retiredgram said:

FYI

Sent our passports in to the Phila. Pa. office on Feb. 27. Tracking showed picked up for processing on Mar 3. We did not use expedited only normal fees.  Just got new passports today, April 20.  Total of 7 weeks.

That's good news for you, eh!

We submitted for renewal via new (pilot) online process Jan 19/20. We did not pay for any expediting. We received the new passports about 9 days ago .... almost 12 weeks vs. the original 5-9 weeks indicated as the expectation (at that time).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Just wondering if any of you who were also waiting on your renewed passports have arrived, yet?

Mine finally did last week.  Passport book on Thursday, the card on Friday.  Total four weeks turn around time.   And I did expedite.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

My passport doesn't expire until Aug 2024, but we have multiple cruises starting in Oct without enough time between them to renew it next year.  I'm mailing everything off tomorrow so should have it back in more than enough time.  DH's doesn't expire for 3 years.  Last time I renewed it, it took about 3 weeks total.  I am not expediting it, but really have no reason to.  I will send it certified mail so I can track it.  I just did that with the pay off (check) of our mortgage and tracking worked great.   We'll see how long it takes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I mailed mine (renewal) regular mail on June 3 and it was received on June 7.   I have been checking the website at least once a week and it kept saying received and processing.   Last Friday I looked and it shows approved.   That was July 7, 30 days total.  It says it can take up to 2 more weeks to print and mail.   I did pay the extra $30 for expedited service, but not the 2 day mail each way.  I have a cruise mid-September, so looks good.

So basically, if your passport expires next year some time, you better start the renewal process now.  And don't expect your birth certificate back.  I know someone who hasn't gotten theirs back yet and their passport came a few weeks ago after an 11 week wait.

Edited by mickeychicky

8 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

So basically, if your passport expires next year some time, you better start the renewal process now.  And don't expect your birth certificate back.  I know someone who hasn't gotten theirs back yet and their passport came a few weeks ago after an 11 week wait.

Why would they send a birth certificate for a renewal?  I though all that is necessary is the old passport?

40 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

You don’t submit your BC for a renewal