The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 25th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

9 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Going to ask a dumb question here, why do you buy cards?  is it to pay off the cruise, or just the bonus perks of cruising?  I mean if it's to pay for the cruise, why not just make a monthly payment?

Occasionally HAL offers a bonus on gift cards.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Going to ask a dumb question here, why do you buy cards?  is it to pay off the cruise, or just the bonus perks of cruising?  I mean if it's to pay for the cruise, why not just make a monthly payment?

AARP sells them at a 10% discount

• Like 5

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

7 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

AARP sells them at a 10% discount

Fred has the right answer here, Annie.  I think some posts have been referring to HAL gift cards, which unless they're offering a special bonus card, I don't see any reason to buy them.  When they were offering the bonus cards, we did buy some. 

But AARP has 10% discounted gift cards all the time. So DH and I have each been buying 5/month (the maximum you can buy) and using them to pay for the Grand Australia next year.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Good evening everyone, 

I'll update more tomorrow when I'm awake but DH is now in the ICU at the Bellingham hospital. It's bigger than our local one. He having problems maintaining his core temp and his blood pressure. The latter has settled down with the use of meds so that's a plus. He's slightly better but he's a pretty sick guy. 

I got home about 30 minutes ago after a very tiring day. So, in true dailyite fashion, I'm having a glass of wine as I write this (Riesling but not the one today), have updated family, and I'm heading to bed! I'm exhausted. Fingers, toes crossed that he makes it through this. 

Karen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 14

A late good evening.  After I posted the pictures of the Church of the Annunciation,  DH and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and drive around the area to look at bluebonnets and other wildflowers.  We saw some, but the afternoon didn't go exactly as planned.  We saw some scattered clusters before life got in the way.

Going down a main backroad at about 30mph, we hit a Texas size pothole.  This time, only the tire was damaged beyond repair, but the wheel is all right.  I was just glad I wasn't driving.  DH had to drive it a ways before we could safely pull off the road.

We were in an area with spotty, almost non-existent cell servicel.  Even though we both have T-Mobile, his phone didn’t work, but mine got a weak signal.  It took five or six calls to our roadside assistance service before they got all the information they needed.  The calls kept dropping out; then, he would have to call back and go through everything again.  They finally said they would call a tow truck.  That's when we learned they will only tow the car for ten miles then charge for the additional miles.

Then, we just sat and waited about an hour or longer for the tow truck.  The driver was very nice, and didn't take too long to get the car loaded.  One small problem was getting into the tow truck was impossile for DH now because the cab was so high off the ground.  I'm not sure if I could have gotten into the truck either.

We ended up riding home in the comfort of our car which was sitting on the flatbed of the tow truck.  I'm not sure if it was legal, but that eas the only choice we had. 

We've known for a long time that our secondary roads were not smooth.  We just didn't know how rough they are until we went down the roads on a flatbed truck with not the best suspension.  The view up there was good though.

DH ordered a new tire from the online tire store which has free delivery.  It will cost less than $2 more than the tire we bought last fall, and we don't have to go to Waco to get it.  Procrastination can pay off, since we didn't get the front end aligned last week.

This was the third damaged tire on the car since we bought it  I told DH I thought the car might be jinxed, or as they say in west Texas, "snake bit".

11 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

Hello everyone!

It has been awhile since I have posted but have been a follow alonger/lurker.

I was on the NCL Bliss PC in late Feb/March for 15day; had a great time! Weather was very good and had no issues with LAX, which is unusual for me. Not a favorite airport at all. Thanks @JazzyV for the call outs to me. 

Once I got back, woke up the next day with one of the most gawd awful viruses I have ever had! I am thinking it is the same thing that @durangoscots has! It has been 2 weeks for me, I am getting better, but day to day stuff is tiring. I hope it goes away soon.Tested negative for COVID seve ral times. The whole thing has been nasty...enough about my struggles.

My prayers continue to be with you all; this is a kind, generous and wonderful group of people. Visiting here about once a day soothes me on some level knowing there is goodness in the world.

My thanks again to the keepers of the lists, no easy feat; the Food and Beverage department, the humor department (you people are very funny and I really enjoy the memes, many of which I can relate to) and of course those who let us into their lives quite often to share.

My prayers especially for those in a struggle right now whether it be health, family or just even having to deal with the world we live in now. It is overwheleming to me at times.

Celebrations are also in order to those with good things happening in their lives whether it be a cruise, other travel, good health, a good family, sometimes a small thing like I finished my laundry today etc.; these should be celebrated as often they are overshadowed by the not good things.

That's enough from me today.

Please take good care everyone. 🙏😊

Caron

Caron, I'm sorry you also had that awful virus.  I'm glad you are feeling better.  Take it easy until you are 100 per cent.

7 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We're paying for most of our Grand Australia with the gift cards.  DH also made the payments online.  Remember that if you're a couple, each of you can buy $2500 per month, making it $5000 per couple.  

My DH also taught me.  My dear Dad tried to teach me when I was 16 and we lived in California -- I think by mutual agreement we gave up on that! (and he was the most patient man I've ever known). 😅  When DH taught me, we lived in Montana --- lots and lots of wide open spaces, nothing for me to hit! 

No wonder you're so great at keeping up with everyone!  I just have hand-written pages with CC names and first names.  

My father wisely had me take Driver's Ed in the ninth grade.  It was taught by the coaches, one of whom didn't think I was ready to take the driving test.  He reluctantly gave me the paperwork for the test.  A couple of years later, he rather condescendingly asked if I ever passed the test.  I could proudly tell him, yes, with a 92 on the first try.  I loved the look on his face.  We also had the DDs take Driver's Ed.

5 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

An update on the RM Palmer tragedy. In good news, the death toll has been lowered to 2 with 1 person pulled alive from the rubble during the night. 

The bad news is that 5 remain missing as the search continues and 8 injured. 💔🙏

That is good news they pulled a survivor from the rubble.  I hope they can find more survivors in time.

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

For some more good news, my Reading High School Boys Basketball team just won their 3rd State Championship Title since 2017.🎉

Congratulations to the basketball team on the state championship. 

24 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good evening everyone, 

I'll update more tomorrow when I'm awake but DH is now in the ICU at the Bellingham hospital. It's bigger than our local one. He having problems maintaining his core temp and his blood pressure. The latter has settled down with the use of meds so that's a plus. He's slightly better but he's a pretty sick guy. 

I got home about 30 minutes ago after a very tiring day. So, in true dailyite fashion, I'm having a glass of wine as I write this (Riesling but not the one today), have updated family, and I'm heading to bed! I'm exhausted. Fingers, toes crossed that he makes it through this. 

Karen

Katen, I sending positive thoughts that your DH makes it through this latest development.  Sending you ((((HUGS)))).  I hope you can get a good night's sleep, so you're ready to face  things tomorrow.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A late good evening.  After I posted the pictures of the Church of the Annunciation,  DH and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and drive around the area to look at bluebonnets and other wildflowers.  We saw some, but the afternoon didn't go exactly as planned.  We saw some scattered clusters before life got in the way.

Going down a main backroad at about 30mph, we hit a Texas size pothole.  This time, only the tire was damaged beyond repair, but the wheel is all right.  I was just glad I wasn't driving.  DH had to drive it a ways before we could safely pull off the road.

We were in an area with spotty, almost non-existent cell servicel.  Even though we both have T-Mobile, his phone didn’t work, but mine got a weak signal.  It took five or six calls to our roadside assistance service before they got all the information they needed.  The calls kept dropping out; then, he would have to call back and go through everything again.  They finally said they would call a tow truck.  That's when we learned they will only tow the car for ten miles then charge for the additional miles.

Then, we just sat and waited about an hour or longer for the tow truck.  The driver was very nice, and didn't take too long to get the car loaded.  One small problem was getting into the tow truck was impossile for DH now because the cab was so high off the ground.  I'm not sure if I could have gotten into the truck either.

We ended up riding home in the comfort of our car which was sitting on the flatbed of the tow truck.  I'm not sure if it was legal, but that eas the only choice we had. 

We've known for a long time that our secondary roads were not smooth.  We just didn't know how rough they are until we went down the roads on a flatbed truck with not the best suspension.  The view up there was good though.

DH ordered a new tire from the online tire store which has free delivery.  It will cost less than $2 more than the tire we bought last fall, and we don't have to go to Waco to get it.  Procrastination can pay off, since we didn't get the front end aligned last week.

This was the third damaged tire on the car since we bought it  I told DH I thought the car might be jinxed, or as they say in west Texas, "snake bit".

Caron, I'm sorry you also had that awful virus.  I'm glad you are feeling better.  Take it easy until you are 100 per cent.

My father wisely had me take Driver's Ed in the ninth grade.  It was taught by the coaches, one of whom didn't think I was ready to take the driving test.  He reluctantly gave me the paperwork for the test.  A couple of years later, he rather condescendingly asked if I ever passed the test.  I could proudly tell him, yes, with a 92 on the first try.  I loved the look on his face.  We also had the DDs take Driver's Ed.

That is good news they pulled a survivor from the rubble.  I hope they can find more survivors in time.

Congratulations to the basketball team on the state championship. 

Katen, I sending positive thoughts that your DH makes it through this latest development.  Sending you ((((HUGS)))).  I hope you can get a good night's sleep, so you're ready to face  things tomorrow.

Lenda

Sorry to hear about your damaged tyre caused by a large pot hole and the inconvenience it caused you both Lenda 

The number of pot holes and the cost to repair them has been a regular feature recently on UK TV news.

Graham.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good evening everyone, 

Karen

Sending our prayers 🙏 for you both.

Graham.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

For some more good news, my Reading High School Boys Basketball team just won their 3rd State Championship Title since 2017.🎉

Congratulations to that boys basketball team from the high school.  They must be very good winning 3 times in 6 years!🏀

10 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good evening everyone, 

Karen

Karen, I'm very sad to hear your DH is now in the ICU.  I hope they can help get him stabilized quickly.  Prayers for both of you!  Take care of yourself so that you can help him when the time comes.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good evening everyone, 

Karen

Karen, sending you all the positive thoughts I can muster. Take care of yourself and try to rest.

Susan

• Like 3