Something I Never Experienced Before ...

80sGal

On Sunrise last week, as we headed to dinner, we passed by a guard/officer/security of some variety with a sniffing dog going up and down the hall.   Is this new?  I know we smelled "the smell" a few times over the days in the halls, but I didn't feel like it was to the point of needing a drug dog on board.  I can't recall if it was after Key West or Cozumel but it was mid-cruise.  Any info about this?  

• Like 2

Just now, 80sGal said:

On Sunrise last week, as we headed to dinner, we passed by a guard/officer/security of some variety with a sniffing dog going up and down the hall.   Is this new?  I know we smelled "the smell" a few times over the days in the halls, but I didn't feel like it was to the point of needing a drug dog on board.  I can't recall if it was after Key West or Cozumel but it was mid-cruise.  Any info about this?  

20230225_082559.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

20230225_082559.jpg

I get it that they sniff the luggage but this dog was prowling the hallway sniffing at the doors.   That seems a bit much in 2023.   Reefer Madness, Anyone?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 80sGal said:

I get it that they sniff the luggage but this dog was prowling the hallway sniffing at the doors.   That seems a bit much in 2023.   Reefer Madness, Anyone?  

Hey, I'm with you on recreational use. However, the dumba$$es have taken advantage of the situation and are ruining the cruise experience for the entire fleet.

If you can't be moderate (edibles) and act civilized, then it's time to crack down.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, 80sGal said:

How is it too much?  Bringing any variation of marijuana into the ports is a Federal violation.  The ships are entering countries where it remains illegal.  Crew are under zero tolerance  to maintain their employment.  The stench is impossible to remove.  You bring illegal drugs onboard, go to jail.  Dog gets treats.   

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

Overkill, this new Carnival is driving people away.

It’s not Carnival that’s driving people away, it’s the lame people that sail on Carnival today, the fights, the drunks, the weed, beds outside on the balcony, the disrespect by passengers to the crew… the list goes on. 

I have Radiance one last time in April for a birthday and Mardi Gras & Celebration in November and after that I am done with Carnival. 

So glad that Carnival is finally taking a stand today.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

What folks don't understand, and despite Carnival's sign saying it is due to federal law, it really isn't, it is the law of every nation who has ships flying their flag (which is why the drug dogs are on the ship at sea, where the US federal government has no jurisdiction).  Even countries like Holland, where marijuana has been "decriminalized", do not allow marijuana onboard ships that fly their flag.  This is based on the IMO's (International Maritime Organization) SCTW (Standards of Competency, Training and Watchkeeping) convention, and the ILO's (International Labor Organization) MLC 2006 (Maritime Labor Convention), both part of the UN, which make all ships zero tolerance drug free zones.  When a nation becomes signatory to these conventions, they must pass laws that copy the conventions terms into their laws.  So, every "flag state" that has ships operating anywhere in the world, agree that regardless of what the drug laws are for the rest of that nation, ships are completely drug free.  And, until the WHO (World Health Organization) changes its classification of THC, marijuana will be illegal on all ships.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 11

Guest BasicSailor
4 hours ago, Wennfred said:

It’s not Carnival that’s driving people away, it’s the lame people that sail on Carnival today, the fights, the drunks, the weed, beds outside on the balcony, the disrespect by passengers to the crew… the list goes on. 

I have Radiance one last time in April for a birthday and Mardi Gras & Celebration in November and after that I am done with Carnival. 

So glad that Carnival is finally taking a stand today.

Can't say that I blame you at all. The fights and drunks and disrespectful people are those that Carnival catered to. So many things ignored by Carnival for years, taking a blind eye to illegal drug use while security did nothing to people openly smoking pot on Lido.

Even the cruise directors stating if you have anything illegal to smoke you need to go up to lido and smoke it as tomorrow is your last day aboard the ship.. I have seen it all, fights with blood splattered walls to security doing nothing but a lip lashing for the offender. To kids jumping off a higher deck down to Lido pools .

My point being they catered to this type of situations for years. Now Carnival has hiked the prices up and laid down stricter security.  Too little too late. 🤐 Thats a company that's pushing away what was their clientele. Thats going to hurt them in the long run.

8 hours ago, 80sGal said:

You've missed some of Carnival's memos about this.  People have been complaining about smelling it on Carnival's ships since the restart.  Carnival management have written various e-mails and posts on their Web site about this.  Fearless Leader Christine Duffy even starred in a video about this. That one explicitly mentioned that they were going to occasionally send some dogs around on the ships.  And so they are.  I personally am glad they're doing what they said they were going to do. 

• Like 13

I did see a drug dog on the ship at the end of January, and it was no spring break cruise.  We were on Celebration at the time.   I have gotten a whiff of the wacky weed a time or two over the years, sometimes from a cabin, sometimes from Lido.   The last year or so the smell of weed has been really obvious around the ship.  I have never really cared about weed one way or the other.  Other people smoking anything doesn't bother me as a general rule.  But the dispensary stuff is super strong. The vapes are super strong, and the clouds of vape smoke blowing down onto Lido are pretty obnoxious.  I was in the pool watching Minions in January and the pool was full of kids and the stench of MJ.  Not a good thing.  Definitely time for Carnival to do something.  

On the other hand, I always see the weed and the fights kind of grouped together.  It isn't the stoners that are fighting.  It is the drunks who are maxing out their 15 drinks and bragging about it.   I have seen people cut off recently, so apparently they are working on that too.

Given that their cruises are selling out while the price of everything goes up- I don't think people "leaving" Carnival are a concern for corporate right now.

• Like 5

Reefer madness🙄  No....it is Carnival finally taking a stand to stop the behavior that is trashing their reputation even more than it already was.  The series of sternly issued warnings didn't have an impact, maybe this will. 

The problem isn't isolated to the weed, the weed is just an obvious identifier of the type of clientele who believe the laws and cruise ship policies don't apply to them and that is where this larger wave of problems is coming from.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pjhootch said:

I did see a drug dog on the ship at the end of January, and it was no spring break cruise.  We were on Celebration at the time.   I have gotten a whiff of the wacky weed a time or two over the years, sometimes from a cabin, sometimes from Lido.   The last year or so the smell of weed has been really obvious around the ship.  I have never really cared about weed one way or the other.  Other people smoking anything doesn't bother me as a general rule.  But the dispensary stuff is super strong. The vapes are super strong, and the clouds of vape smoke blowing down onto Lido are pretty obnoxious.  I was in the pool watching Minions in January and the pool was full of kids and the stench of MJ.  Not a good thing.  Definitely time for Carnival to do something.  

On the other hand, I always see the weed and the fights kind of grouped together.  It isn't the stoners that are fighting.  It is the drunks who are maxing out their 15 drinks and bragging about it.   I have seen people cut off recently, so apparently they are working on that too.

Given that their cruises are selling out while the price of everything goes up- I don't think people "leaving" Carnival are a concern for corporate right now.

Our local police would disagree.  The "stoners" fights calls are as frequent as the drunk fights since marijuana became legal in our state.  The difference only being is pre legalization, no one called 911 when "stoners" fought since that led to arrests all around.  The stronger the labs make the marijuana, the more violence.  

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
4 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The "stoners" fights calls are as frequent as the drunk fights

Sounds like half the state is kicking the other half's ass. Show em your Platinum card 🤪.

That will stop then dead in their tracks 🤣.

Just now, chengkp75 said:

What folks don't understand, and despite Carnival's sign saying it is due to federal law, it really isn't, it is the law of every nation who has ships flying their flag (which is why the drug dogs are on the ship at sea, where the US federal government has no jurisdiction).  Even countries like Holland, where marijuana has been "decriminalized", do not allow marijuana onboard ships that fly their flag.  This is based on the IMO's (International Maritime Organization) SCTW (Standards of Competency, Training and Watchkeeping) convention, and the ILO's (International Labor Organization) MLC 2006 (Maritime Labor Convention), both part of the UN, which make all ships zero tolerance drug free zones.  When a nation becomes signatory to these conventions, they must pass laws that copy the conventions terms into their laws.  So, every "flag state" that has ships operating anywhere in the world, agree that regardless of what the drug laws are for the rest of that nation, ships are completely drug free.  And, until the WHO (World Health Organization) changes its classification of THC, marijuana will be illegal on all ships.

that may be part of it, but it is absolutely also that when people smoke in their cabins. even regular tobacco. there are then huge complaints from the couple on the next cruise in that cabin who are non smokers. being that many cabins do not get outside air, if can be a couple of weeks before the smell of smoking goes away

2 minutes ago, warren buffet said:

that may be part of it, but it is absolutely also that when people smoke in their cabins. even regular tobacco. there are then huge complaints from the couple on the next cruise in that cabin who are non smokers. being that many cabins do not get outside air, if can be a couple of weeks before the smell of smoking goes away

A few years ago, Carnival really cracked down on in room smokers and charged them the posted fees. People who only "smoked on the balcony" were furious.  

Guest BasicSailor
22 minutes ago, warren buffet said:

can be a couple of weeks before the smell of smoking goes away

The steward just covers the smell up with a chemical spray. As a contractor I can say it takes more than a few weeks to rid a room from those smells. I hired painters to clean and Kiltz (stain blocker) homes from fumigating smoke smells. The worst smell being when you put that first coat of paint on the walls. it's a toxic gaging smell even with mask worn.

Edited by BasicSailor

12 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

You bring illegal drugs onboard, go to jail.  Dog gets treats.   

Actually, most drug sniffing dogs are dogs that have shown to have a great propensity for chasing balls.  They are rewarded by their handler by tossing out a ball for them to retrieve. 

• Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
4 minutes ago, john91498 said:

so much wrong information in this thread...

Help us out then, please elaborate.

2 hours ago, pjhootch said:

It isn't the stoners that are fighting.  It is the drunks who are maxing out their 15 drinks and bragging about it.   I have seen people cut off recently, so apparently they are working on that too.

this is literally the only right info on this thread...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, john91498 said:

this is literally the only right info on this thread...

You mean there aren't drug sniffing dogs on the ships? Could've fooled me as I've personally seen them.

• Like 4