Tower of London Tickets for Late Aug 2023

Is it necessary to have tickets in advance? We are arriving in London , at Heathrow at 7 am from the states, and in case hotel won’t let’s us check in to room but  will hold our luggage, I was thinking The Tower would be a good start to the trip.   So does Tower ever sell out or is it advisable to buy tix in advance.

We went last year and pre-booked them online. I don't know if they sell out but there was a very long line to buy tickets where ticket holders walked in quickly. When you go, try and get there when they first open and go straight to see the crown jewels. That gets extremely busy very quickly. A long line in the August sun won't be fun. Try and also catch the beefeater tour. They offer them a few times during the day I believe.  

Several years ago we went to the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London.  It's held at night, around 9 pm by invitation only.  You usually have to make your reservations well in advance.  It is a wonderful experience and not to be missed.  I would definitely recommend it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Moxiefurball said:

Thanks all. Another question . Assuming we land on time at Heathrow at 7 am, how long would you estimate it will take to go through customs, get luggage, and a guesstimate on arrival at London Hotel .?

Where's your hotel?

2 hours ago, Moxiefurball said:

Assuming we land on time at Heathrow at 7 am, how long would you estimate it will take to go through customs, get luggage, and a guesstimate on arrival at London Hotel .?

37 minutes ago, Moxiefurball said:

The Clermont across from Victoria Station.

And how are you planning to get from Heathrow to Victoria?

If your scheduled arrival (not landing) time is 7.00 am, your flight is on time, you have a US (or other eGate-compatible) passport for clearing immigration, and you're planning to get a car/minicab transfer, I reckon that ballpark figures are 60 minutes to get out of customs (which is after you collect your bags), 30 minutes to find the driver, get to the car and get moving, and 60-90 minutes to get to Victoria - so perhaps 9.30 am to 10.00 am. It's difficult to be any more precise than this. You could cut a little time off this if you go by Tube, given that the Clermont is where you're staying.

41 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

If your scheduled arrival (not landing) time is 7.00 am, your flight is on time, you have a US (or other eGate-compatible) passport for clearing immigration, and you're planning to get a car/minicab transfer, I reckon that ballpark figures are 60 minutes to get out of customs (which is after you collect your bags), 30 minutes to find the driver, get to the car and get moving, and 60-90 minutes to get to Victoria - so perhaps 9.30 am to 10.00 am. It's difficult to be any more precise than this. You could cut a little time off this if you go by Tube, given that the Clermont is where you're staying.

Thanks  Globaliser !!  We will probably do a car transfer from airport to hotel. 

Is this your only night in London, or are you staying a few days?

I'd agree with the previous poster that arriving early is best. You're probably not in the early window...

If might be better to do other exploring on the first day, and get to the Tower early on your second day. You might couple that with a Thames Cruise back to Westminster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Thanks  Globaliser !!  We will probably do a car transfer from airport to hotel. 

Have you been to London before? There’s a lot to see and do at a reasonable, jet lagged pace near your hotel. The Changing of the Guard should be at 11:00 (check that). The Mall, Horseguards Parade, St James Park, Green Park, Piccadilly, Hyde Park, etc. are within reasonable walking distance. Plenty of places to sit and take a break. Then get a good night’s sleep and head to the Tower first thing the second day. And maybe beat some of the tour buses to the Crown Jewels!

I’d at least look at those options. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gunnywife said:

Several years ago we went to the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London.  It's held at night, around 9 pm by invitation only.  You usually have to make your reservations well in advance.  It is a wonderful experience and not to be missed.  I would definitely recommend it.

We saw the Ceremony of the Keys last Fall.  I agree, not to be missed. Spine tingling to be in the Tower at night, with just a small group of people.  And amazing to see this 700-year-old Ceremony.

It's at 9:30pm (for about 35 minutes), and not by "invitation only," but rather by getting tickets in advance, via the web site below.  Only 50 tickets per night are given out (nominal fee of £5.00 per ticket), and they sell out very quickly.  Those interested should mark their calendars for the date of ticket release for their date(s) and be ready to jump on the web site.  (See the link below for booking instructions.) 

https://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/whats-on/ceremony-of-the-keys/#gs.t4okjr

• Like 1

Sorry.  Used the wrong words. Not invitation only.  Tickets are needed.  We took our grandkids and they loved it.  With things being canceled during and after Covid I'm glad they still do the Ceremony.

If I were to be spending any time in London I would definitely want to go again.

On 3/26/2023 at 1:36 PM, Moxiefurball said:

The Clermont across from Victoria Station.

I’m staying there myself in a couple weeks before we do our TA crossing.  We stayed there when we went for Harry & Meghan’s wedding years ago and loved the location.  We really enjoyed the Royal Mews too & it was great seeing all the carriages & horses that will probably be shown during the upcoming coronation.