What will a taxi cost to get to the Soufriere/pitons area from the cruise ship dock?

queenL

Hi, we are looking to hike Tet Paul Nature Trail, maybe stop at the Diamond Waterfall Botanical Garden/Jalousie Beach to see the Pitons.  What will a taxi cost to get us there?  Has anyone just gotten off the ship and found a taxi tour at the ship to cover these places?

14 hours ago, queenL said:

Hi, we are looking to hike Tet Paul Nature Trail, maybe stop at the Diamond Waterfall Botanical Garden/Jalousie Beach to see the Pitons.  What will a taxi cost to get us there?  Has anyone just gotten off the ship and found a taxi tour at the ship to cover these places?

Plenty of official taxis…… For a 5/7 hour private tour, work on $250/300 for the whole taxi.

Driver will confirm price on one stating the full itinerary.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Prices

• 6 months later...
On 3/27/2023 at 10:55 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Plenty of official taxis…… For a 5/7 hour private tour, work on $250/300 for the whole taxi.

Driver will confirm price on one stating the full itinerary.

Interesting, can I please ask.if you can pick up a taxi to do a tour once docked in St Lucia?  We would only want about three hours, perhaps less, so hoping we may get something for about $150 or thereabouts.  Not too bothered where we go, just somewhere more scenic than Castries, which should not be difficult.

Now know we will be docking in town, not Pointe Seraphine.

Edited by tring

13 minutes ago, tring said:

Interesting, can I please ask.if you can pick up a taxi to do a tour once docked in St Lucia?  We would only want about three hours, perhaps less, so hoping we may get something for about $150 or thereabouts.  Not too bothered where we go, just somewhere more scenic than Castries, which should not be difficult.

All taxis within the port area are official, vetted, licensed and prices registered by Government.

So, the best option would be go to the Cab Dispatcher (at the Cab Rank in side the port area), discuss your itinerary, as every highlight one selects determines the price, because all tours are based on distance/time etc..  Confident one will get to see the beauty of this island, as the Despatcher is knowledgeable, also being happy to deliver the best possible price/ratio tour.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

All taxis within the port area are official, vetted, licensed and prices registered by Government.

So, the best option would be go to the Cab Dispatcher (at the Cab Rank in side the port area), discuss your itinerary, as every highlight one selects determines the price, because all tours are based on distance/time etc..  Confident one will get to see the beauty of this island, as the Despatcher is knowledgeable, also being happy to deliver the best possible price/ratio tour.

Thanks a lot, once again.  I really do appreciate your answers.

8 hours ago, tring said:

3 hours you're not going to see much at all. People often underestimate the time it takes to get from A to B, given the topography and roads. The island is 27 miles long, and takes a solid 2 hours from north to south.   

With only 3 hours, you can drive to Rodney Bay and walk around (25-40 minutes north), , or to Pigeon Island (35 minutes or so north), and check some scenery..

Or to RB and then Gros Islet to do a quick walk through and see some local life, beaches, shops, etc. 

Or drive up Morne Fortune,at w have lunch at The Pink Plantation for some history, art and delicious food. 

You're looking at 1 to 1.25 hours roundtrip just to Rodney Bay and back, depending on how many ships in port 

Most of the striking scenery is down south, 75-90 minutes from port, around Soufriere.

Have a good idea of what you want to do. Taxi and your operators are readily available on arrival; most tour operators will be aiming to take you to Soufriere and environs, given that's the area and activities that make St Lucia unique.. 

Cabs aren't solely time based, they're also distance based. It's $40 to Rodney Bay one way, $45 to Pigeon Island or Gros Islet... 

2 hours ago, reedprincess said:

3 hours you're not going to see much at all. People often underestimate the time it takes to get from A to B, given the topography and roads. The island is 27 miles long, and takes a solid 2 hours from north to south.   

With only 3 hours, you can drive to Rodney Bay and walk around (25-40 minutes north), , or to Pigeon Island (35 minutes or so north), and check some scenery..

Or to RB and then Gros Islet to do a quick walk through and see some local life, beaches, shops, etc. 

Or drive up Morne Fortune,at w have lunch at The Pink Plantation for some history, art and delicious food. 

You're looking at 1 to 1.25 hours roundtrip just to Rodney Bay and back, depending on how many ships in port 

Most of the striking scenery is down south, 75-90 minutes from port, around Soufriere.

Have a good idea of what you want to do. Taxi and your operators are readily available on arrival; most tour operators will be aiming to take you to Soufriere and environs, given that's the area and activities that make St Lucia unique.. 

Cabs aren't solely time based, they're also distance based. It's $40 to Rodney Bay one way, $45 to Pigeon Island or Gros Islet... 

Thank you, I will look into those places.  We have some other ports where we have booked excursions, so did not want to do a long day on St. Lucia this time, but may go again..  We may just go to Vigie beach, or perhaps a short outing somewhere, the get dropped there.

There are three ships in port, (about 6,000 pax), so quite a lot of people this time.

2 hours ago, tring said:

Thank you, I will look into those places.  We have some other ports where we have booked excursions, so did not want to do a long day on St. Lucia this time, but may go again..  We may just go to Vigie beach, or perhaps a short outing somewhere, the get dropped there.

There are three ships in port, (about 6,000 pax), so quite a lot of people this time.

6000 pax, then Vigie will be rammed, as it’s the cheapest destination ($10 for a cab ride or a free walk in 15/20 minutes).   Because of the low spend option, Vigie is ‘the’ destination for S.H.T..

If wishing somewhere quiet, in a beautiful setting, for a couple of hours or so, then suggest a shortish picturesque drive North to The Naked Fisherman.   Take drinks, or even a light Brunch/Lunch, a swim and return to the ship.  No S.H.T. will be seen.

Link

https://nakedfishermanstlucia.com

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

6000 pax, then Vigie will be rammed, as it’s the cheapest destination ($10 for a cab ride or a free walk in 15/20 minutes).   Because of the low spend option, Vigie is ‘the’ destination for S.H.T..

If wishing somewhere quiet, in a beautiful setting, for a couple of hours or so, then suggest a shortish picturesque drive North to The Naked Fisherman.   Take drinks, or even a light Brunch/Lunch, a swim and return to the ship.  No S.H.T. will be seen.

Link

https://nakedfishermanstlucia.com

Looks great, will add to possibilities, thanks.

I see it is a similar distance to Pigeon Island, which according to reedprincess would be $45 one way and perhaps 45 mins.  Would we be able to pick up a taxi back easily, of might it be better just stopping off for a drink during a half day drive that direction and keep the taxi with us?  I assume they will be US$ rather than EC.

Edited by tring

4 minutes ago, tring said:

Would it be easy to pick up a taxi back, or might it be better just stopping off for a drink during a half day drive.

Plenty of taxis from there, as there is an upmarket resort next door.  When ready to return, ask NS to call one.  The taxi will be there in minutes.

• Thanks 1

(Note to self.. Vigie Beach has Portaloos for $1.00 charge, or walk to the nearby Airport and back for free, as many do)

As an aside.  One’s personal opinions.

Rodney Bay is very popular and becomes sardine city when describing the sun bed setups.  Plus there is a large inflatable water adventure playground a short distance offshore.  Not a genteel experience and views can be thought spoilt.  Think Valley Church Antigua or Cane Garden Bay Tortola with toys.

Pigeon Island is also a “rows” sun bed setup, again popular.   Good views with a nice Restaurant nearby, but the whole beach experience has its “buts”.  Think Darkwood on Antigua.

They both don’t come close to beating NF when it comes to variety of beds, ambiance, views, food, drinks and beach service.  Think along the lines of Catherine’s or Cecilia's.  Genteel.

If on a subsequent visit, one wishes to spend the day at Smuggler’s Bay (Naked Fisherman) taking an all inclusive option, for the day or a multiple day vacation.  
Then consider Cap Maison.  (NF is part of the resort with access by general public)
https://capmaison.com. -  

Note the similarities between respective websites

But, it’s one’s money, therefore it can be spent as one wishes.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tring said:

I see it is a similar distance to Pigeon Island, which according to reedprincess would be $45 one way and perhaps 45 mins.  Would we be able to pick up a taxi back easily, of might it be better just stopping off for a drink during a half day drive that direction and keep the taxi with us?  I assume they will be US$ rather than EC.

Taxis are readily available at Pigeon Island. Whomever drives you there will actually wait and bring you back if you want.

Inside the park, 8rs quiet, serene and beautiful - ruins, hikes, Fort, 2 restaurants, bathrooms and lovely quiet beaches. There's a few operators that offer a "beach break" to Pi that includes transfers, entrance fee, chairs and cooler or drinks.  May be worth looking at - some St Lucia history and such a long with beach time

Yes, on cruise ship days, traffic is murder - only one road north/south from Castries to Rodney Bay - make sure to leave plenty of time to get to)from wherever you may go. 40-45 minutes for PI or Naked Fisherman is not unusual at all. And yes $45usd one way to/from port for up to three people (not pp, per vehicle).

• Thanks 1

Ok for those of us who's visited the island many times have done Cosols tour a couple of times. Spencer's Beach Break a couple of times Herods land and sea tour(best tour on the island) and the ships tour a couple of times. What would you recommend someone like myself do next time I'm on the island?

Pigeon Island I was in St. Lucia with friends a long time ago they went to Pigeon Island they didn't seem very upidy on it. They didn't say much so I never went there because I was having so much fun between the Pitons.

PORT ROYAL,That Cap Maison Naked Fisherman sounds right up my alley. 

Is it worth the drive there and back? 

All inclusive option day pass?

reedprincess said it can be a 40-45 minute drive each way and YES for some odd reason being too many ships  with too many people, traffic in downtown Castries is murder until you get out of town.

I'm looking at a sailing St. Lucia is on the itinerary but if I go back I want to do something completely different, if that makes any sense. I wouldn't mind at all going back to The Pitons but if there was something else to see or do I would be very receptive to going back to the island. 

Thanks Todd 

And I'm not going to Vigie and spend my day on this awesome island with a bunch of S.H.T..

I'll email Spencer first and do his beach break it's always a winner and reliable fun, or Baptiste at Cosols but no S.H.T.

Thank you 🤜🤛

8 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

Cap Maison 5-star that place is AWESOME. Do I even want to know what a day pass runs at that palace. Jeezus I would definitely do that if they'll let me in😁😎😂

That'll work. 

You don't need a day pass to enjoy Naked Fisherman.

You may need a reservation though - it's not a huge restaurant nor a big beach 

Something unique? Try Lucian Food Tour through Rodney Bay, followed by beach time by Marie's Fish Shack (far south end of Reduit, as far from tourists as you can get)

Try Rum distillery, with lunch in Marigot and beach time there 

Day pass at Ti Kaye with lunch and drinks. Personally preferred over Naked Fisherman.. great healthy beach access reef, more secluded cove, gorgeous food, drinks are strong.   

Try Calabash Cove - no day pass needed.. restaurant is open to the public - wat and drink there and enjoy the pool, spa, etc. Beautiful property, absolutely gorgeous food, string drinks, lovely beach.... Contact for a reservation.. it's amazing. 

12 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

You don't need a day pass to enjoy Naked Fisherman.

You may need a reservation though - it's not a huge restaurant nor a big beach 

Something unique? Try Lucian Food Tour through Rodney Bay, followed by beach time by Marie's Fish Shack (far south end of Reduit, as far from tourists as you can get)

Try Rum distillery, with lunch in Marigot and beach time there 

Day pass at Ti Kaye with lunch and drinks. Personally preferred over Naked Fisherman.. great healthy beach access reef, more secluded cove, gorgeous food, drinks are strong.   

Try Calabash Cove - no day pass needed.. restaurant is open to the public - wat and drink there and enjoy the pool, spa, etc. Beautiful property, absolutely gorgeous food, string drinks, lovely beach.... Contact for a reservation.. it's amazing. 

Hey Thanks!!

Those are some great recommendations the Lucian Food Tour sounds AWESOME. So does Ti Kaye and Calabash Cove, thank you very much reedprincess appreciate the great info. I love the food on St. Lucia by the way Herod Stanislaus his mom and dad can COOK authentic Lucian YUMMY food. I had lunch at his house about 12 year's ago it was a TREAT!! So yummy, plus sitting out on Herods front porch having lunch looking at The Pitons doesn't hurt a thing either. 

Love the food specifically on St. Lucia so YUMMY. Thanks again.

5 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Ok for those of us who's visited the island many times have done Cosols tour a couple of times. Spencer's Beach Break a couple of times Herods land and sea tour(best tour on the island) and the ships tour a couple of times. What would you recommend someone like myself do next time I'm on the island?

Pigeon Island I was in St. Lucia with friends a long time ago they went to Pigeon Island they didn't seem very upidy on it. They didn't say much so I never went there because I was having so much fun between the Pitons.

PORT ROYAL,That Cap Maison Naked Fisherman sounds right up my alley. 

Is it worth the drive there and back? 

All inclusive option day pass?

reedprincess said it can be a 40-45 minute drive each way and YES for some odd reason being too many ships  with too many people, traffic in downtown Castries is murder until you get out of town.

I'm looking at a sailing St. Lucia is on the itinerary but if I go back I want to do something completely different, if that makes any sense. I wouldn't mind at all going back to The Pitons but if there was something else to see or do I would be very receptive to going back to the island. 

Thanks Todd 

Day pass link….

https://capmaison.com/st-lucia-day-pass-spend-the-afternoon-or-evening-at-cap-maison/

Service fee is 10%

Government Tax is 10%

IMHO - Naked Fisherman or a Day Pass at Cap IS worth the drive.  
Check out both webs.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice. Which company did you used? We considered NCL’s Between The Pitons Catamaran Cruise excursion, but it has a few negative reviews about “bait and switch” or being harassed by the crew.

7 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

We did a catamaran up the coast to the pitons, including Marigot Bay cruise thru. Several people on our ship said they took land shuttle and said it was horrible. Windy road and very slow. I’m glad we went by sea. 

IMG_0975.jpeg

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_0940.jpeg

We are docking on January 17 on a smaller ship.  We are trying to design our own first visit to this island.  I'd like to hike on Tet Paul Nature Trail and see Torraille Waterfall.

1.  From the comments I read, it looks like I would develop a brief itinerary and hire a cab for the day.  Is this plan realistic?

2.  Looking at a map, some of the other suggestions (Naked Fisherman and Rodney Bay, for example) seem to be at the other end of the island.  Can someone suggest a place to stop on the beach with good local food between Tet Paul and the cruise port?

1 hour ago, Penn State Traveler said:

We are docking on January 17 on a smaller ship.  We are trying to design our own first visit to this island.  I'd like to hike on Tet Paul Nature Trail and see Torraille Waterfall.

1.  From the comments I read, it looks like I would develop a brief itinerary and hire a cab for the day.  Is this plan realistic?

2.  Looking at a map, some of the other suggestions (Naked Fisherman and Rodney Bay, for example) seem to be at the other end of the island.  Can someone suggest a place to stop on the beach with good local food between Tet Paul and the cruise port?

Answers

1. Sounds like a good plan.

2. Coal Port or Pink Plantation