Flowrider on Quantum???

DyanaT

Heading to Alaska but kids are obsessed with Flowrider from previous WARM cruises… have any Alaska cruisers actually seen people using it? I peeked at the Daily Activities and it’s open… but geez it must be cold. Maybe a wetsuit? 🤷‍♀️

22 minutes ago, DyanaT said:

Heading to Alaska but kids are obsessed with Flowrider from previous WARM cruises… have any Alaska cruisers actually seen people using it? I peeked at the Daily Activities and it’s open… but geez it must be cold. Maybe a wetsuit? 🤷‍♀️

Yup, Alaska last August, friends kids 10 and 12 used it everyday, no wetsuits.  Temps were in the teens in Celsius

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DyanaT said:

have any Alaska cruisers actually seen people using it?

The Flowrider is typically open above 50F - it gets much colder than Alaska on Anthem while she's sailing from Cape Liberty in winter.

51 minutes ago, DyanaT said:

My wife and son took wetsuits.  A few days they had to wait a couple of hours for the temp to get aboe 50 for them to open it.  

50F is the magic number for it to operate, has to be above that.  At 50F it is really cold.  A wetsuit is an absolute necessity.  PITA.  I have participated when it was 52 and the wind blowing at 40 knots.  I am not quite right.  It was very cold.  Bring the kids towels regularly they help when they are fresh. 

JC

This picture was taken as we left Hubbard Glacier on the first trip for this class to Alaska in 2019.  On subsequent trips on both Ovation and Quantum I've always seen someone using the Flowrider when it was running in Alaska.  This wasn't staged. 

RC_OV_FlowRider-EDITED-2048x1365.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2

I went on Ovation at the end of August last summer, and got lots of time on the wave.  They had the heat cranked on it, to the point that steam was coming off, as shown below.  Wetsuit is a must, especially for this non-Canadian desert dweller.  On the first day I was the only one there and had it to myself for 4 hours straight.  I was so exhausted that I had to take breaks and sit and look at an empty Flowrider until I got my strength back up.  A couple of mornings it was below 50, so I always went up to see if they were running it before I went to the effort of putting on a still-damp wetsuit.  There was never more than 3-4 people using it, and it was mixed wave (boogie boarding and stand-up) for almost all of the sessions.

Going again this year, but 2 weeks later in mid-September.

image.thumb.jpeg.cc64cb424dbb66180662be447ad0476e.jpeg

• Like 2