Are pets allowed on O ships?

Sujormik

Though being a feline fancier and having two now, I'm just reminded that by the ancient canons (rules) only cats are allowed into churches. For unlike dogs, they keep themselves clean, eat mice, and know where to go to the bathroom. 😉 

• Haha 2

There is a thread over on Viking happening regarding this. There are dogs currently on board who have apparently presented ‘papers’, however it’s apparent these are not service dogs. They are on the furniture, in the dining areas being fed, and barking. Pictures posted make it pretty impossible to believe they are service dogs. It is unacceptable. 
Airlines had to get their rules aligned to stop the menagerie of animals that were being brought on board.  Since their rules changed, the craziness of animals on board planes has been mostly brought under control. 
Apparently cruise lines need to somehow do the same.

A true service dog is an entirely different conversation. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, artlee said:

our resident dog was on the pool deck a bit ago. 

You should make friends with  the owner & ask what the dog is used for

The cruise line cannot ask but pax can ask 🙂

Whether the owner is truthful or not is another story

We had one lady carrying her dog to the Terrace  day one   day 2 it was in a stroller  after that we never saw either again

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You should make friends with  the owner & ask what the dog is used for

The cruise line cannot ask but pax can ask 🙂

Whether the owner is truthful or not is another story

We had one lady carrying her dog to the Terrace  day one   day 2 it was in a stroller  after that we never saw either again

This might suggest (I hope!) that someone(s!?) complained and "management" spoke to owner.

Once non-service pet is on board, it's there.  But it would be nice to know that at least sometimes, the owner can/will be told to keep the animal in their own cabin, full stop.

GC

from O's  contract  the highlighted part  was by me

Do not think they meant feeding the animal from the table

17. PETS
No pets or other animals, except for certain necessary service animals of a Guest with a disability, are allowed on board
the Ship. Guests wishing to bring a service animal on board the Ship must notify Carrier at the time of booking the Cruise,
and must receive Carrier’s written approval. Guest agrees to accept responsibility, reimburse and/or indemnify Carrier for
any loss, damage or expense whatsoever related to the presence of any service animal brought on the Cruise, and to
determine and meet any documentary or other requirements related to the service animal. Guest further agrees to be
solely responsible for providing all food and/or other dietary requirements, medications or medical equipment required by
the service animal.
Passenger food, medications and/or medical treatment will not be provided by the Ship to any service animals

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Legal/10812/US-TicketContract.pdf

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

This might suggest (I hope!) that someone(s!?) complained and "management" spoke to owner.

Once non-service pet is on board, it's there.  But it would be nice to know that at least sometimes, the owner can/will be told to keep the animal in their own cabin, full stop.

GC

If a  true "service animal"  the cruise line cannot ask  the owner  to keep it in the cabin

The question is  IF it was a true service animal or not 

We have had  service animals onboard some of out sailings   they are on a harness with their service animal vest on  & the owner requested people not to pet her when she is working

Never saw the animal being fed from the  table

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 4jsmama said:

@LHT28 There are actually two questions that can be asked about an animal presented as a “service” animal.  Per the ADA, those questions include:

In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

https://www.ada.gov/resources/service-animals-faqs/

True that these are the 2 ADA approved questions from ADA FAQ; however, US DOT goes further to ask: Name of Animal Trainer or Training Organization.  This simple question is what has stopped most of the 'service animal' pets on planes.   You can review entire form here by searching for :U.S. DOT Service Animal Air Transportation Form.pdf.  Seems that cruise lines need to require something similar as approved by US DOT.

• Like 4

On 3/28/2023 at 11:54 AM, Sujormik said:

We have 10days on Marina in June, but with allergies I’m concerned about possibly having a cabin that had a dog or cat prior to our arrival. Or during the sailing though the room issue is bigger. I saw someone referenced a guest feeding their dog onboard and got me wondering. Thanks.

What line have you cruised that has ever allowed pets, unless they are service dogs.

Simply put, 95% of these Service Animal topics or more commonly known as a Support Animals, are simply people who refuse to put their animal in a Kennel. So the term Service animal or Support animal, is a Joke. It's more about the animal, who needs the human support. 5% are actually TRUE Support Animals. As for the other 95%, put your animal in a kennel, or leave it with relatives. Your not fooling anyone on a ship when we see you, Trust Me. It's pathetic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kibutzer said:

What line have you cruised that has ever allowed pets, unless they are service dogs.

Currently on Viking and Oceania - please take a look including pics and you can make a decision on whether they are ‘service dogs’. 

Past reviews  that I am aware of - HAL and Seabourn - likely many more. 

People somehow get docs signed that make it hard for lines to deny boarding, when in fact they are pets being brought on board. I get that people have anxiety and their pets help with that. We love our dog, but we would never bring her on a ship, both for her sake, ours, and others.
Cruise lines need to adapt the same rules that airlines were forced to adapt not that long ago.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kibutzer said:

None. That’s why I asked after reading the report by artlee. And apparently people now bring their pets and call them service animals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

None. That’s why I asked after reading the report by artlee. And apparently people now bring their pets and call them service animals.

Correct. And if passengers have an issue with this, their voices need to be heard to tje cruise lines, as happened with the airlines,  or it will not change. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 2:59 PM, shepherd really said:

The poop deck

Snert.  I've never seen an animal on an "O" ship but the QE2 did have kennels for dogs and cats ... probably not tortoises!

And while we would love to bring our cats along, I do understand worries that people with allergies have.  I do think that any cruise line that would permit pets on the cruise would need to have the kind of set-up that the QE2 had -- which is separate quarters for the pets, outside of the owners' rooms..

Mura

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mura said:

Snert.  I've never seen an animal on an "O" ship but the QE2 did have kennels for dogs and cats ... probably not tortoises!

And while we would love to bring our cats along, I do understand worries that people with allergies have.  I do think that any cruise line that would permit pets on the cruise would need to have the kind of set-up that the QE2 had -- which is separate quarters for the pets, outside of the owners' rooms..

Mura

They still have the kennel on QM2, but it's only available for the NYC-Soton run. It fills up fast!

5 hours ago, pamps2801 said:

Simply put, 95% of these Service Animal topics or more commonly known as a Support Animals, are simply people who refuse to put their animal in a Kennel. So the term Service animal or Support animal, is a Joke. It's more about the animal, who needs the human support. 5% are actually TRUE Support Animals. As for the other 95%, put your animal in a kennel, or leave it with relatives. Your not fooling anyone on a ship when we see you, Trust Me. It's pathetic.

Actually, there is a distinct difference between a service animal and a support animal.

A service animal provides a specific service, such as alerting the deaf or blind of an issue/threat, a diabetic that their blood sugar is dropping, or other similar issues.

A support animal gives psychological comfort to a person, such as when dealing with social interactions, PTSD, or other circumstances when an individual may be in an anxiety-producing situation.  

Under the US ADA, prior to allowing someone to enter an establishment, businesses are allowed to ask about the training provided to these animals to determine if they are, indeed, "service" animals.  Service animals are, for the most part, allowed everywhere, whereas "support' animals are restricted from many places, including grocery stores, restaurants, and other places where they would be considered "unsanitary".

• Like 3

The real problem is that so many businesses are afraid of lawsuits, they refrain from asking about the animal's training and qualifications.  Classic example is Publix, where no one is ever questioned about their "service" animal, despite complaints and clear indications that the animal is a pet, not a service animal.

Edited by Cliff-FLL

We are on a Viking ship right now there are several dogs, maybe as many as 12....they are fed in the buffets, walked on decks, brought to entertainment areas, sitting on all furniture  all are comfort animals or support.

Are cats, gerbils, monkeys next? On a line that does not accept anyone under 18, this is madness...

• Like 4