Medallion app - I don't have a smart phone!!

Milashka

On 3/30/2023 at 1:27 AM, donaldsc said:

How did we ever unlock our cabin doors before they invented and foisted the medallion card upon us?   Using my cell phone to fill out my medallion login stuff was such a pain that I gave up.  If I can't do at easily at embarkation they can take the medallion and put it you know where and I will use the old fashioned pass card.  To me it is just a bad solution looking for a nonexistent problem.

DON

I have no doubt that there were people who hated the switch from actual keys to plastic cards too. 

Change can be hard. It was a genuine adjustment for people to have to remember their cabin number rather than just look at their key. 

On 3/29/2023 at 11:13 PM, Milashka said:

Thank you... I think I can check in using my home computer? If not, I'll do it at checking in.

I too prefer using my home computer for check-in (RCI, Celebrity, HAL, and now Princess). I have found most of the apps clunky compared to my desktop. 

The only things I was not able to do via the web-site app was make dining reservations and chose an arrival time. Those I had to use the app for.

13 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

The only things I was not able to do via the web-site app was make dining reservations and chose an arrival time. Those I had to use the app for.

You absolute *can* make dining reservations on the "web version"...this is the *only* way that I do it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You absolute *can* make dining reservations on the "web version"...this is the *only* way that I do it.

Yep, it is under suggested. I think I actually may have done mine that way and not on the app. Can you also pick an arrival time? That I could not find.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:46 AM, cruiseray said:

but, like i said above, a smartphone is not needed. the medallion is identification leaving/entering the ship, buying things on the ship, opening your room.  you should wear it or keep it in your pocket while on your cruise. if you go ashore, also take it with you, to use to get back onboard.

Just beware that businesses in ports that are listed as accepting the medallion for payment all seemed to have "broken machines" when it comes time to pay and you're stuck paying cash.  Found this out the hard way.

On 3/30/2023 at 9:33 AM, cruzsnooze said:

You can get the medallion and use it without a phone. You can also go to guest services and get a regular cruise card. I lock my phone in the room safe and don't use it at all. 

No, you cannot go to Guest Services and get a traditional card.  I tried last summer and was informed they no longer do that.

1 hour ago, UpcountryTravelers said:

No, you cannot go to Guest Services and get a traditional card.  I tried last summer and was informed they no longer do that.

Have zero use for the medallion, and that last bit of information seals it, no more Princess cruises for me. There are plenty of other cruise lines, and they do not have medallions.

Just to clarify for the OP...the Medallion and the app are two different things altogether.  You do NOT have to use the app at all.  The physical medallion simply takes the place of your cruise card to open your cabin door (main function) as well as scan you off and back onto the ship.  It can also be scanned in order to order drinks but more often than not the waiter/waitress will just ask for your cabin number.  Don't let the smartphone bit keep you from enjoying a Princess cruise!

• Like 5

On 3/30/2023 at 1:32 PM, Milashka said:

Remydiva, I think they do as I was told by a Princess agent. I will certainly remember to bring a highlighter to mark off where I want to be! 

exactly what I do!

On 3/29/2023 at 11:26 PM, Guardsy said:

I NEVER use my phone on a cruise.  First thing I do when I get to our cabin is to turn it off and put it in the safe until we are getting ready to leave the ship for good.

Don't you like to take any video's or photo's on the cruise? Using a phone serves as a camera with all the functions of the app as well. 

i.e.- ordering food and drinks, keeping track of just the events you want to attend. 

On 4/1/2023 at 12:28 PM, ontheweb said:

Have zero use for the medallion, and that last bit of information seals it, no more Princess cruises for me. There are plenty of other cruise lines, and they do not have medallions.

I wouldn't change just for that.  The medallion simply replaces your card and is easier to carry.  The app is not needed, and it is nice to have your stateroom door unlock as you approach.  Everywhere else, it functions exactly like your card, just easier to carry.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 12:28 PM, ontheweb said:

No more Princess for us too.  Although guest services did give us a regular card when we asked for one on our last cruise.  We like the way Royal does the phone.  Sign into their app (no cost on the ship app)  and you can see your daily statement and what is on the dinner menu, etc,  Royal & Celebrity still gives you a daily paper.

1 hour ago, Tonye60 said:

I'm right in understanding you won't sail Princess because of the physical madallion. The app is irrelevant if you want it that way

Have not cared for Princess the last few times for various reasons.  We are platinum with Princess.  

5 hours ago, CarolRoy said:

We like the way Royal does the phone.  Sign into their app (no cost on the ship app)  and you can see your daily statement and what is on the dinner menu, etc, ....

Princess app does this exactly the same...

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 10:32 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Just to clarify for the OP...the Medallion and the app are two different things altogether.  You do NOT have to use the app at all.  The physical medallion simply takes the place of your cruise card to open your cabin door (main function) as well as scan you off and back onto the ship.  It can also be scanned in order to order drinks but more often than not the waiter/waitress will just ask for your cabin number.  Don't let the smartphone bit keep you from enjoying a Princess cruise!

The only thing irritating (and mildly so) to me is that you can't order alcohol from a waiter in the buffet any more.  You are supposed to use the app to order.  But it is MUCH faster to just go to the Wake View Bar next door and get your drink.  (5 minutes vs 20-30).  We would get our food, sit at a table, then one would go to the bar and get our drinks.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 6:27 PM, Milashka said:

Hello, I am not good with electronics, won't have a cell phone or tablet or laptop or... 

Can I still go on a cruise without those? Should that medallion be connected to a phone?

If yes, can I still enjoy the cruise without a medallion? 

As a side note,   I would place my order to  pickup the Medallions at the port and not have them mailed.   Just my personal prefrerence.   Doesn't take any more time to get them at the port, and unless you have the Plus Package or whatever they call it you would have to pay for shipping.   It's also one less thing you have to worry about packing.  And if the battery doesn't work they can get it replaced on the spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UpcountryTravelers said:

Discovery Princess and Island Princess.

It wasn't that way on the Enchanted in Feb., but maybe things have changed. 

Not that I can't go to the bar myself. 😉

On 4/1/2023 at 9:53 AM, UpcountryTravelers said:

Misunderstanding?  You  we’re willing to hand in your medallion and just use a traditional card?  They did not allow it?

or we’re you asking to have both a card and a medallion?