Worth Purchasing Custom Medallion?

jag82177

I am in the process of checking in to my cruise and have the option to select my medallion. I could go with the standard medallion (gold in my case), but I like a couple of the customized options too.

If the customization is a cheap sticker or something that will start to peel at the edges after a few days of use, I probably wouldn't be interested. If it looks nice, I'll probably go with one of the custom designs. 

For anyone who has gotten a custom medallion before: are they of good quality? Is there anything other than quality to be aware of (e.g., having to pick it up in port)?

• Like 1

The "sticker" goes on the center of the Medallion and is under clear plastic, so it does not peel up. The case itself is plastic in matte silver. I've never seen one in gold color on a ship, so I guess they mold it in a gold color, but I don't see how it could be gold dipped or leaf because that would block radio frequency signals, which is the whole idea.

We have heard of the Medallions being mailed, then finding they're DOA at the port or during the cruise and being reissued on the spot. So if you've paid extra, then what? The battery is not changable. They're designed to be used once then stuck on your 'fridge at home. We see no point in having them mailed. Also, on lets say a Japan cruise, you must pick it up at the port anyway.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

We would never pay extra for the privilege of having a special face on a  medallion but if it's important to you then go right ahead. 

They all work the same way which is the most important point. 

• Like 9

Don't know the answer, but one cruise I had to have 3 medallions made before it finally opened my door.  Wonder when you have to have it remade, if there goes your custom medallion??  The ones that were made for me were just like the ones mailed to us.

• Like 1

Next cruise I opted to just pick up the Medallions at the port.  1.  I'm not paying for shipping.  2.  One less thing I have to worry about packing and keeping with me as I go through airports and jump through ground transport.

Sounds like the customization is nicely done, so if it is worth $5 for you, pull the trigger.  Unfortunately, I just don't see the value proposition.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Given that I always keep mine in my pocket, and DW keeps hers in pocketbook getting a custom medallion would just be wasted money (for us).

With a custom medallion you might want to show it off; even walk about with a little swagger in your step. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

The custom image is nice, and no peeling or wear on any of mine - even when the printed portion (name and cruise info) has begun to rub off.

we usually buy a magnet when we go places, and since there’s really no use for the medallion after the cruise, at least the custom image can make it a bit more of a souvenir, instead of just another poorly implemented (for the environment) one time use item.

6094E1E4-178C-47F5-AD7E-14C50BA9068E.jpeg

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

Ours came today. It’s white, we are Elite & they usually come in Black.  Is this a mistake

We, also Elite,   received the white ones when we cruised on the  Enchanted Princess during its maiden year of cruising.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ronnieslady said:

Ours came today. It’s white, we are Elite & they usually come in Black.  Is this a mistake

If it's white with the seawitch black then you are on an inaugural cruise for that ship. Ours were white for the Discovery last year.

• Like 2

I was told that the new ship passengers for the first year get white medallions  (but I probably was told that here in Cruise Critic!) 

We were on Discovery over Thanksgiving week 2022 and got white medallions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirclean said:

I was told that the new ship passengers for the first year get white medallions  (but I probably was told that here in Cruise Critic!) 

We were on Discovery over Thanksgiving week 2022 and got white medallions. 

This is correct.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 4:48 PM, jeromep said:

1.  I'm not paying for shipping.  2.  One less thing I have to worry about packing and keeping with me as I go through airports and jump through ground transport.

We did not order a custom medallion nor pay for shipping, but received a tracking number for ours, so a freebie.  Two free upgrades (started with inside cabin, now mid-ship balcony) and no charge for our medallion shipping.  If we get on the ship and find out we have Princess Plus, I will *know* something is going on 😁.  I can only guess that maybe it's due to the extensive report we filled out about our last less-than-wonderful cruise.  Otherwise, maybe just the luck 'o the Irish!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2024 at 9:58 PM, molly1995 said:

Is the art / customization on one side a.d then the logo on the other side?

Thanks

Welcome to cruise critic. No, the artwork takes the place of the captain circle level logo...ie the color of the seawitch.

Edited by Moondogy

They’re a decent enough quality. I get them every time as I like the rainbow logo. My partner gets the logo of whatever ship we’re on as a momento that only costs us $5. We use them as magnets after the cruise is complete.

On our last cruise on the Enchanted Princess in Nov. 2023 our batteries on both of our medallions (not custom medallions) expired. We went to the customer service and they replaced both of them. We are elite and the original medallions were the usual black color but the replacements were white. We were told that was the only color they had and they would not allow us to keep the original ones. I am assuming if your batteries fail they would also keep your custom ones and their $5.00s. Just something to think about.    

From seeing them on others, they look like fine quality. I just wouldn’t pay anything for it any more than I would a special looking keycard. Both just get thrown away at the end of the trip. I wish there were a way to recycle them!

The only negative is for platinums and elites since they’d have to take the step of having their medallion scanned to show status if it’s required to enter a lounge or something.